• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Head S9 Boots

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
REVIEWER: Age 54; low-advanced skier on 30% black; ski at moderate speed; 5'5" 175 pounds.

BOOTS TESTED ON: blue and black groomed trails.

REVIEW INTENDED FOR: high intermediate to low advanced skiers. As you progress from intermediate to low advanced skier, you will be looking for a stiffer boot with a snugger fit.

At this level, a boot that is too soft or cushy (referring to both the shell and the liner) won't give you the control and response you need for steeper hills. But you're not a racer or a double-black skier, so you don't need the super stiffness and tight fit of a race boot.

You will be hoping for a boot that combines comfort and performance---as opposed to racers, who favor performance, and beginning recreational skiers, who favor comfort.

PRICE: MSRP $560. I paid $336 at a small shop. Lowest Internet price is $270.

SKIER LEVEL: The Head classification system goes from level 7 beginner to level 13 top skiers. The S9 is for a level 10 skier, termed "very good."

COMPETITION WITHIN BRAND: At this skier level, Head has 3 boots to consider: the Edge 9.8; the S series (specifically the S 8, 9, and 10), and the Dream Thang series (DT 9, DT 10).

The S9 is a 2007 boot, but I'm told the S series is being replaced by the Dream Thang series.

I ruled out the Edge 9.8 because it was rated as more of a comfort boot by salespeople. Head rates it as advanced intermediate, which would limit your progress to the next level.

I was less interested in the Dream Thangs because they're a little more expensive and the liner is cushier, according to my research (please correct me here if you have other information).

SKIING STYLE: Head considers not only how well you CAN ski, but how you generally PREFER to ski. The S9 is intended for a very good skier who prefers to ski at that level (not below).

SPEED: fast (which is a step down from "superfast").

TERRAIN: Versatile all mountain (on and off groomed trails).

FLEX: The Head flex rating system is approximately as follows:
Beginner 50
Intermediate 60-70
Good skiers 70-80
Very good skiers 80-90
and so on up to:
Top racing skiers 130

The S9, for very good skiers, has an adjustable flex of 80-90. You need an allen wrench to change the flex.

Your choice of flex may also depend on your weight. At 175 pounds I felt I needed a slightly stiffer boot.

FEATURES:
- Adjustable spoiler for higher or lower cuff where it meets the calf. You can remove this entirely if you have a low calf.
- Canting
- Micro-adjustable buckles
- Pockets in the liner for inserting pads to tighten the fit around the achilles tendon
- Adjustable last: You can remove the bootbed and insert a last that reduces the shell width from 103 mm to 100 mm. You have to request this part; it doesn't seem to be included in the box.
- Heat moldable liner. This is not a super thick, furry liner.
- So called "anatomical footbed," but it is rudimentary.

SUITABLE FOR FOOT SHAPE: Wide, even very wide forefoot; narrow heel; narrow achilles tendon.

REVIEW

This boot fit me so well out of the box that so far I haven't needed to have any adjustments made. But note that I use a custom footbed that is superior to the one provided.

I tried the harder 90 flex to begin with, then switched to the softer 80. I found the 80 more comfortable for my skiing style, but I'll try the 90 again later to compare.

The liner seems to be a good compromise---neither too cushy for sensitivity and response, nor too hard for comfort. It has pronounced hard bumps that protrude into the heel, so you will only like this boot if you have a narrow heel. The bumps softened by my second day.

The lateral support seems very adequate, combined with good forward flex.

A boot fitter told me that this boot has a larger shell with a tighter liner. My interpretation of this is that you need to take care to get a nice tight fit out of the box, or the shell will prove to be too big when the liner stretches. My toes graze the liner when I flex my knees, and yet my foot is not cramped while skiing. At this level, it may be time for you to get used to a tighter fit!

I'm very satisfied with this boot after testing it for 2 days. I wouldn't go above the S9 at this level. The S8 (last year's model but may still be available) is also considered to a very good boot at this level; it has a softer 60-70 flex. Both are considered superior to the Edge 9.8.

DRAWBACK: The adjustable flex was very difficult to change---the parts didn't fit together correctly. Some boots have a flex adjustor that requires only manual flipping.

RECOMMEND: Yes, strongly.

Jilly

Staff member
Wow, I wish we had Head boots available locally. Great review SnowGlider!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I was especially glad to read this, since I'm in the market for new boots. I'll have to check them out.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amazing how hard it is to get comparative info on boots

I guess the prevailing approach is "go to the store and see what feels good." That didn't work for me at all. I drove a million miles and made 3 stores mad when I returned boots that didn't work. Stores do NOT have comparative specs.

Once I figured out that I have a Head foot, it took me a whole morning to research Head boots on the internet and draw up a chart of comparative specs. You would think this info would be readily accessible, but it isn't. You have to do a lot of hunting for specs and reviews.

Without the right information, I initially wound up in a cushy recreational boot. I mean, there was no sign on it saying, "WARNING. THIS IS A RECREATIONAL COMFORT BOOT FOR TERMINAL INTERMEDIATES." That only became clear when I got it home and researched it.

By gathering detailed information before I went out to buy the 4th and final pair, I knew exactly what I wanted when I left home. When I tried on the S9 I knew I had found the right boot---through RESEARCH, not trial and error.

That's my take on boot buying. I would say first identify the brand that most resembles your foot shape, and then do tons of research on the models offered by that manufacturer to match the boot to your skill, style, speed, and terrain.

I hope I don't appear too anal. I've been in pain for 5 years. 'Sabout time I got some decent boots, dang it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I am soooo glad you finally found a boot you're happy with. You've been through a lot looking for the one that's just right, and it seems to have paid off. Just goes to show how important it is to do your homework, and to be informed before you walk in the store. Please keep us posted on how these work for you, as time goes by.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today I bought the Dream Thang. According to my boot fitter Head put a lot of R&D into these boots. The shell as well as the liner is made on a woman's last.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fit. There is enough volume to put a 1/2" heel lift in them without adjustments, the shell doesn't pinch my calf and I don't feel any pressure on my bones. For me these could be a custom boot.

I won't give a review of how they ski until next year as I'm putting them away and skiing the Lange's until the liner becomes to uncomfortable, which will proably be next Jan.

I got them on sale for $330, which is the reason I bought them before I need them.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update re narrow last and heel pieces.

I had to obtain the optional narrower last (to reduce the forefoot from 103 to 100 mm, or from comfort fit to performance fit) directly from HEAD. That wasn't easy. They may or may not make you pay for the pieces.

Be aware that not many run-of-the-mill fitters in stores will know how to obtain or work with this last. And you may not be able to insert it yourself: the fit is extremely tight. You will need to spread the shell flaps with clamps or something like that, which could damage the shell. So you will most likely need to go to a fitter.

The last is meant to be cut with a knife to tailor it to your foot shape. Again, this is a task for a fitter.

After my liners packed out I experimented with the plastic pieces that you can insert into pockets in the liner to make the heel tighter. It worked! It's such a simple and functional idea that will save you a trip to the boot fitter.

Schmenz

Diva in Training
I have the head S8 with an intuition liner.

I had been in a cheap pair of rossis for an intermediate skier, that had heaps of work done on them and they still hurt.

My shins were in constant pain and my calves cramped... one day at lunch i pulled my feet out due to the pain. I couldnt get them back in as i could not plantar flex (point my foot) at all. There was no other option than to ski back as we were in the middle of nowhere so I finally got my feet in amid lots of tears.

THEN i got the head S8's

(i have a very wide foot and non flexy achilles)

they are amazing. we ripped the liners out straight away and put the custom intuition liners in. then there was a lot of work done on the shell. but they are so comfy.

When i skied with them at first i was leaning back which drove me mad... my instructor shoved some pizza trays down the back (we couldnt find any trail maps!) and voila.. a few days and i was fine!

Im not sure where the s9 fits in. or any of the specs for the s8 but they make an awsome boot.. it would be interesting to know what they are targetted at.. hmmn maybe i shall google!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga