• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Head Monster i.M.82

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It seems there's some interest in my opinions of the three skis I demoed on 2-19 at Wachusett, so here goes. I will post each review separately.
Me: 5'7", 160 pounds, aggressive skier, but from the east, so little/no powder or offpiste experience.
Present skis: Elan Magfire 12, length, 160.
Location/conditions: Wachusett, packed and groomed powder.
I wanted to try something that would perform better in powder and bumps after having a less than thrilling experience on my Elans after the last snow storm. Unfortunately, there was no "fresh" that day, but I decided to try the new stuff anyway.
My first choice, on the recommendation from the guy at the demo center, was the Head Monster i.M.82.Length, 161. 122-82-108.
This is a very quick and nimble ski. Getting off the lift, I just sort of shimmied my butt a bit, and they started turning - there was practically no need to edge them at all. They were responsive, fast and stable, but they did tend to transfer every little shock and bump directly to my knees, like my old K2s used to. I'd like to try these again in some powder, if I ever get the chance. Aside from the knee thing, they were a blast.

altagirl

Staff member
I haven't tried the 82, but I demoed (and bought) some 175 im88s. Sounds pretty darn similar. They're so easy to turn it's like cheating. They carve when I want to, smear when I want to, and are quite stable. The only negative is that the stiffness made them a little harder on the knees on traverses and such than some of the other skis that I tried. But they were SO good when I was skiing, I don't care.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you end up buying the im88s? What are the differences between those and the 82s?
I loved that word you used: "smear." That's exactly what they felt like when I first skied them. I also agree about them being harder on the knees in traverses, which could be an issue for me since my knees are pretty much shot.
Overall, though, I came away feeling that the 82s were almost too easy!

altagirl

Staff member
cyn said:
Did you end up buying the im88s? What are the differences between those and the 82s?
I loved that word you used: "smear." That's exactly what they felt like when I first skied them. I also agree about them being harder on the knees in traverses, which could be an issue for me since my knees are pretty much shot.
Overall, though, I came away feeling that the 82s were almost too easy!

Yep, I've probably got about 15 days or so on my new im88s. They're holding up really well too. I just did a ski camp w/Gordy Peifer 2 weeks ago and the coaches had us getting into some technical stuff and chutes filled with rocks... I expected them to be TRASHED but nothing but some scrapes, no core shots or edge damage. So +1 to Head for durability!

I haven't tried the 82s, but they do sound very similar. I spend 99% of my ski time at Alta and Snowbird and if I need something narrower than the im88's I jump down to the little Atomic SX-9s that I have in the garage for the handful of days a year (usually very early season) that there's nothing but groomed to ski.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
82s good for western conditions?

So do you think I'd be making a wise choice if I got the 82s for soft snow in the east where I usually ski, and the far too occasional trip out west? Or should I go wider?

altagirl

Staff member
cyn said:
So do you think I'd be making a wise choice if I got the 82s for soft snow in the east where I usually ski, and the far too occasional trip out west? Or should I go wider?

I think the 82 sounds like a good call for your use. If you end up with a really great powder day on a trip out west, I'd just demo something really fat for the occasion (the 88 wouldn't be that good on a real powder day either). I have some Gotamas that I ski on powder days.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought a pair of the iM 88s in 164 length. Although, I am moving to SLC this summer so I will definitely get good use out of them there.

I was lucky to get a bit of mid-atlantic powder to ski this weekend, and WOW. These skis just floated me over the powder. Plus they carved really well for me on the hard pack/groomed (t

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the 88s

Well, after reading all your posts, I think that if I have the chance, I'll give the 88s a try, especially if they also work well on groomed.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried the iM77's? I'm thinking of demo'ing them. I need a ski for 75%/25% east/west skiing, that will be able to handle crud and bumps better than my current 68mm carving skis.

trvlnut

Certified Ski Diva
What's the difference between the 77, 82, and 88's and the Thangs? I assume the Thangs are womens and the others are mens or unisex?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the difference between the 77, 82, and 88's and the Thangs? I assume the Thangs are womens and the others are mens or unisex?
That is correct.

I don't know much of anything about Head skis, but this review is nice. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga