• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have you ever lost anything off of the lift?

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I was very proud of the fact that I had NEVER clumsily dropped anything off the lift. . . Until last week at Vail. In the midst of powder dumping and wind blowing and very low visibility, I was helping my DH organize a couple things in his backpack and my POLE (jammed under my leg) fell down, down, down into a deep drift. :redface:

This was about 1/2 of the way up the Orient Express lift, so we memorized lift tower numbers (and then I had a wee meltdown) and then skied through the trees near the top and down the liftline (with one pole! In the deep, heavy-ish snow!) to find my pole. There was no way I was going to lose my beloved carbon composite Swix pole that I bought on a whim seven years ago and came to *adore.* No way!

Found it. But it was very embarrassing. (Although learning I could ski the deep stuff pretty well with a single pole was *interesting.*) I felt like a total tool.

What else has been dropped/lost? Please tell me it's not only me! I used to laugh at those lone gloves and lost goggles I would see from the chair. Not anymore. :redface:

Jilly

Staff member
Pole too but just off the lift platform. A couple of weeks ago, one of my gloves rolled out the gondola door, just before it shut. Nobody watching, so I got out and grabbed it. Took the next car. That was the start of a bad day. (Same day poles were stolen)
We have a lift at Tremblant that states, anything lost is lost. Hikers have a great treasure hunt come spring. You can't get under that lift in places to retrieve anything.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, one of my kiddos lost a ski just outside the roped area at the base of the lift. A stranger was trying to be helpful by pulling the bar down but didn't look to see that he was putting the foot rest on a 5 year old's ski. Ski popped off. It was just me and 2 kids that day and nobody retrieved it and sent it up the lift so I was forced to drop the kids at ski patrol, ski down, retrieve it and then head back up to meet with the kiddos.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
let me know if you don't get this one

DH lost a mouse once. Fortunately for the mouse, it was already dead.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, good idea to drop kids off at ski patrol! smart!

and MSL, the mouse, the mouse LOL

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dropped a bag check tag at Mountain Creek around x-mas last year. I felt like a tool, too, especially since it's a smaller hill than, say, oh Vail; I was rummaging around my pocket for a granola bar because I was too lazy to go in for lunch. Got down to the bottom of the lift, told a liftie what had happened and where it was, and asked if I could hike up there since the spot was closed to skiing. He said no. :( He got to be a hero jumping off the lift to retrieve the tag, though.

Btw, the mouse still creeps me out.

Numerous chapsticks! :doh:

I would have lost skis years ago when I was a kid! Thank GOODNESS for those good ole safety straps (one of the ONLY good things about them!) :becky:

On a side note....a fun hobby! Get yourself a metal detector! It is SO FUN to go under the lift during the summer and hike up and down finding treasure after treasure! It really is fun! :yahoo:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I didn't lose something, but my BF did.

Picture this...he was a new skiier last year...I had just bought him his first skis....this was his 2nd day on these. I took him to Gore Mtn for the very first time and we decided to do our first run down lower sunway. There is a midstation along the way. As we come over the midstation unloading zone somehow his ski binding hits the bottom of the bar and his brand new prized ski comes off.:eek: We look back and see his beautiful red ski sticking up out of the snow. (just past the lift...but he doesn't consider this) He promptly begins to freak out about how he's going to retrieve it. I couldn't help it (I owed him one) but I tell him he'll just have to ski down after it....sking on 1 ski will be splendid balance practice. He is having a meltdown....and THEN he realizes he has to get off the lift minus 1 ski....full blown panic. Now I feel bad and explain to him they really will send his ski up on the next chair. He makes the lift operator at the top completely STOP the chair so he can get off. Picture big strong man waving his arms, yelling and pointing to his skiless boot as he approaches the top!!:ROTF:

I know this sounds mean, but he got over it and we laugh about it all the time. The "lost" something thread sparked the memory again and I thought I'd share......maybe you just had to be there! :ROTF:

Jilly

Staff member
Hubby has lost all kinds of things, including his VISA card. Gloves, glasses, googles, cap off his flask (heavens had to drink it! Good thing small flask) and numerous lighters when he smoked. He's always had a hard time holding onto things and the height of any chair just adds to it.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As we come over the midstation unloading zone somehow his ski binding hits the bottom of the bar and his brand new prized ski comes off.:eek: We look back and see his beautiful red ski sticking up out of the snow. (just past the lift...but he doesn't consider this) He promptly begins to freak out about how he's going to retrieve it. I couldn't help it (I owed him one) but I tell him he'll just have to ski down after it....sking on 1 ski will be splendid balance practice. He is having a meltdown....and THEN he realizes he has to get off the lift minus 1 ski....full blown panic. Now I feel bad and explain to him they really will send his ski up on the next chair. He makes the lift operator at the top completely STOP the chair so he can get off. Picture big strong man waving his arms, yelling and pointing to his skiless boot as he approaches the top!!:ROTF:

I know this sounds mean, but he got over it and we laugh about it all the time. The "lost" something thread sparked the memory again and I thought I'd share......maybe you just had to be there! :ROTF:

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
Sorry, but when it happens to a guy, it makes it all the more hysterical! That said, he's a gem if he can laugh at himself now.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week I lost my Colorado Pass in a parking lot. It snowed that night and they plowed the lot so I'm thinking the pass is in a snowpile.
Today, I left my gloves in the bathroom at lunch, fortunately, they were still in the basket where I left them.

I also came close to throwing my credit card in the trash. It was on my tray and saw it right before I dumped the tray! Whew, that was a close one!

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I managed to throw both of my gloves off a chair once - sounds dumb i know !! But in my defence i normally have then tied to my wrists with strings, but this time i'd forgotten to put on the strings, so i take off the gloves, chuck them gaily one each side of me so i can tuck into my lunch and lo & behold both gloves are sailing off into space. What a nerd ! :redface: Luckily i had a pair of inner gloves to put on for the ski down to recuperate them !

One of my mates managed to drop her backpack off the lift at the bottom station as we were getting on. For some reason she had both our packed lunches in it. We waited at the top for ages to see if someone would bring it up, then gave up and skied down to find it, but the liftie said someone had already taken it up - b****rs must have emptied it out and chucked the bag on the way up - how mean is that ???!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would have lost skis years ago when I was a kid! Thank GOODNESS for those good ole safety straps (one of the ONLY good things about them!) :becky:

On a side note....a fun hobby! Get yourself a metal detector! It is SO FUN to go under the lift during the summer and hike up and down finding treasure after treasure! It really is fun! :yahoo:

Same thing with the ski and safety strap; I spent the rest of the ride up figuring out how to get off the lift. made it ok.

searching for stuff in the summer does sound like fun

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga