• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Has anyone flown United on a ski trip?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Truthfully, the biggest issue with ski luggage is maneuvering through the airport. I am ready to purchase a boot bag that is both a backpack and rolls. When DH is with me, it's not as big a deal. One of us pulls the ski bag and the other the suitcase and we each carry our own boot bag. When I am by myself, it's harder for sure.

I agree, I have a hard time traveling alone as well. It’s fine once I’ve checked stuff, but having an additional rolling bag for carryon makes things difficul getting to and from the airport. Does anyone have a great bag that has backpack straps that you use for a carryon with boots and a day’s clothing/ski essentials? My bootbags are too big..

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, I have a hard time traveling alone as well. It’s fine once I’ve checked stuff, but having an additional rolling bag for carryon makes things difficul getting to and from the airport. Does anyone have a great bag that has backpack straps that you use for a carryon with boots and a day’s clothing/ski essentials? My bootbags are too big..
Patagonia black hole duffle has detachable backpack straps.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m not flying United, I’m on Southwest. Flying out to Utah tomorrow. I decided to take my boots in my carry-on suitcase. Could be an adventure lifting this over my head but that’s OK! I also have my ski pants. Anything else I could rent if I had to. So sport tube for the skis, boot bag packed with everything but boots and the carry-on for the overhead compartment.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, this looks like a good option! I wonder if the 45L would be large enough, or if the 60L would be better..
I used a 60 liter and underpackrd it a little so it could fit in the carry on sizer. I had my boots, insulated ski pants, helmet, and goggles in there with base layers and socks crammed into my boots and it worked great.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I used a 60 liter and underpackrd it a little so it could fit in the carry on sizer. I had my boots, insulated ski pants, helmet, and goggles in there with base layers and socks crammed into my boots and it worked great.

Sounds perfect! I wouldn’t even have thought of putting my helmet inside because I usually just strap that to the outside of my carryon or purse. That would be even more convenient to have inside instead of rattling around on the outside. They get such great reviews to travel with in general as well, I think I’m sold on picking one up!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have an old (very old) Patagonia bag with backpack straps that works great as the dimensions are under the required amount for most airlines. Also, I was told it's not "volume" but exact measurements. Last year, I contemplated buying the 45 liter but thought it was too small, and at the time, the 60 liter had wheels but no backpack. Below is a much newer version of my tried and true Patagonia bag Even took it to Europe as carry on but was allowed to check in for free. I know, dicey, but all was okay until I got to Zurich train station and the bag got on the train without me. For 6 days. I digress, here's a new version of the bag. Helmet will not fit in bag but about everything else will. IAnd it meets carry on requirements:
https://www.patagonia.com/product/b...gid=luggage-duffel-bags#tile-9=&start=1&sz=24

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, I flew United home from Mammoth last year and was allowed my Kulkea Powder Trekker bag as a carry-on. That bag does NOT fit any requirements for carry on when helmet inside. Also, it really took 3 people to get in overhead.

AustinSkier

Diva in Training
We always fly Southwest, but are flying United to Diva West this year. Their baggage policy says that skis and boots count as "one bag" and that you are allowed two. I am worried that they won't allow a double ski bag. DH and I both want to bring two sets of skis, but can bring just one if that's the rule. I can't find the info on their website and thought I would ask what your experiences are.

We just flew United to Bozeman, MT earlier this month with a double ski bag and a boot bag - no issues checking them as a single bag.

mustski

Angel Diva
Yes, we were able to fly with the ski bag counting as regular luggage and they would have counted the boot bag and ski bag as one item . We carried the boot bags on with us.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. Does anyone have a great bag that has backpack straps that you use for a carryon with boots and a day’s clothing/ski essentials?
I just got the Burton Booter bag this season and love it. I stuffed it with all of my ski gear when I went to Taos, including helmet, jacket, pants, etc. and it fits most airline carry on dimensions. It is much more comfortable than my old Transpack and fits more. The way the weight is distributed makes it feel lighter on my back than it really is, so I had no problem trekking through the airport with it on. And as a bonus, I have discovered that the height of the top of the bag when I have it on makes it really easy to balance my skis on my shoulder-- to the point that I can actually carry them hands free!

Jenny

Angel Diva
We have a carryon size bag that will hold everything for a day of skiing, plus boots, with backpack straps and wheels. Can’t remember the brand right now but if you're interested I can look when we get home. They were relatively inexpensive, and we’ve used them several times. It means we can each drag a suitcase, and a ski tube, and wear our boot bag, which makes the airport easier. The only thing I try to avoid is dragging them around outside, because the wheels sort of rest on your butt when you wear it, and I don’t want outside dirt (which could be greasy) getting on the bottom of my coat, or back of my pants.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have more than one rolling bag, try this.

I have used the Travelon Multi-Bag Stacker. It allows you to put two rolling bags together. I always take another web strap to go around the both bags so the top one doesn't tip off the bottom bag going up a curb. I can be such a klutz with luggage.
Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 5.06.32 PM.png

This one is called Add a Bag Luggage Strap. Both are available from Amazon.
Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 5.09.02 PM.png

Don't forget to strap the luggage together with a long web strap.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m not flying United, I’m on Southwest. Flying out to Utah tomorrow. I decided to take my boots in my carry-on suitcase. Could be an adventure lifting this over my head but that’s OK! I also have my ski pants. Anything else I could rent if I had to. So sport tube for the skis, boot bag packed with everything but boots and the carry-on for the overhead compartment.
I've never had any trouble on Southwest getting help putting up my rolling suitcase style boot bag or getting it down. Other passengers are usually very quick to help, even when my boots aren't in it and so it's not that heavy.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I’ve been eyeing the 60L Patagonia Black Hole from earlier in this thread still, but hadn’t puled the trigger since I don’t really need it until next season for traveling. However, I grabbed it up today when I saw this sale at REI! Wasn’t my first color choice, but if you don’t mind teal it’s 50% off right now! $67 with taxes and free shipping! I’ll take it! The rest of the colors are still $129+tax

https://www.rei.com/product/884915/patagonia-black-hole-duffel-60l

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna