• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Deer Valley: a new lawsuit

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had an inkling of this beforehand, but it’s really reinforced my impression that I wouldn’t have any interest in skiing Deer Valley. Conspicuously fancy and crowded = the opposite of fun to me.

And I love the place! I’m going out next week. It is less La Di da since it became open to more with the Ikon Pass. Before it was pretty exclusive but also a lot less crowded. I skied there in 2008 when a friend had a $50 ticket for me! And I’ve been back three times since.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
And I love the place! I’m going out next week. It is less La Di da since it became open to more with the Ikon Pass. Before it was pretty exclusive but also a lot less crowded. I skied there in 2008 when a friend had a $50 ticket for me! And I’ve been back three times since.
Regardless of how I feel about it, I hope you have an amazing time!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Deer Valley is a really nice ski resort..... I haven't been there since it was an IKON resort..... it does have impeccable grooming and nice off piste IIRC. Empire area comes to mind.

Last edited:

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have a great trip!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
It sounded like Ms Paltrow was the downhill skier by what occurred in the collision. I’m not really understanding what basis the doctor had to sue her other than he had high medical bills to pay and figured sue the famous/wealthy skier…?

Jilly

Staff member
It sounded like Ms Paltrow was the downhill skier by what occurred in the collision. I’m not really understanding what basis the doctor had to sue her other than he had high medical bills to pay and figured sue the famous/wealthy skier…?
This is what I'm reading into things too. And she's counter suing for $1 and court costs. So I think that she's in the right and but feels for the guy and his situation.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Breaking News: Gwyneth Paltrow won!

From the Washington Post:

A jury ruled Thursday that Gwyneth Paltrow was not liable for a 2016 ski collision with a man who claims the Oscar-winning actress careened into him on a slope in Utah and left him with life-altering brain trauma.
Terry Sanderson, a 76-year-old retired optometrist, had sought upward of $300,000 in damages from the actress — down from the $3 million for which he originally sued after he and Paltrow collided on a beginner’s slope in February 2016 at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, one of the top alpine ranges in the country. A jury took three hours to deliberate before deciding that the 2016 accident was Sanderson’s fault and that it caused harm to Paltrow.

The amount of money at stake in the lawsuit paled in comparison to the spectacle around it, with observers analyzing Paltrow’s fashion choices as she sat silently through long days of testimony, and her legal team complaining that journalists in the courtroom kept taking close-ups shots of the actress when she wasn’t speaking. Her attorney Stephen Owens said in closing arguments that it took “a lot of courage” for Paltrow to sit through proceedings.

The two-week trial veered toward absurdity when Paltrow, 50, took the stand on March 24 to argue that Sanderson’s account of the crash was largely fabricated. Sanderson attorney Kristin VanOrman’s interrogation resembled a tabloid magazine interview at points.

The most uncomfortable moments from Gwyneth Paltrow’s testimony
“Are you good friends with Taylor Swift?” VanOrman asked, seemingly suggesting that Paltrow’s countersuit against Sanderson — for $1 plus attorney fees — was modeled after the pop singer’s symbolic claim against a radio DJ.

“I would not say we’re good friends. We are friendly,” replied Paltrow, who won an Academy Award for her leading role in “Shakespeare in Love” and now runs the lifestyle and wellness company Goop. The judge sustained an objection to a follow-up question about whether Paltrow and Swift exchanged Christmas presents.

In his own testimony, Sanderson said he never fully recovered after Paltrow allegedly slammed into him, then skied away while he laid unconscious in the snow with broken ribs. The retired optometrist and his family members testified that he now suffers from memory problems and mood swings, and struggles to communicate.

“I refuse to believe I have brain issues,” Sanderson told the jury. “I’m still in denial.” In closing arguments, Sanderson attorney Lawrence Buhler said, “The crash took much of what [Sanderson] had and left it on the mountain.”

The defense, meanwhile, tried to paint him as a wealthy attention seeker whose life of near-constant vacations was little changed by the accident. When asked about his decision to write “I’m famous” in an email he sent to his daughters shortly after the collision, Sanderson blamed the behavior on “the other person inhabiting my body.”

Paltrow’s team gave a radically different account of the crash and its aftermath. The actress testified that Sanderson hit her, skiing directly into her back as she descended the slope with her children. “I thought, ‘Is this a practical joke? Is someone doing something perverted? This is really, really strange,’” she said, adding that Sanderson was conscious after the crash and even apologized to her.

Witnesses present the day of the collision also provided conflicting versions of events. Sanderson’s attorneys pointed to online messages sent in 2016 by Craig Ramon, a member of Sanderson’s ski group who wrote a few days later that the plaintiff “was knocked out cold. Bad hit to the head!”

On Tuesday, Paltrow’s team read from the depositions of her two teenaged children, Apple and Moses Martin, who accompanied her on the ski trip. Moses remembered seeing “my mother and a person behind her” immediately after the collision, when he heard Paltrow exclaim with an expletive, "You just ran into me.” Apple did not witness the crash but said her mother looked “a bit shocked” afterward and told Apple someone “ran right into my back.”

“He hit her, he hurt her and he’s not entitled to sue her,” Paltrow lawyer Stephen Owens said of Sanderson in closing arguments. “He’s not entitled to be rewarded for hurting her. That’s not how this country works.”
Gwyneth Paltrow testifies that she was confused, then angry, after ski accident

Much of the remaining testimony came from medical professionals who disputed the cause and extent of Sanderson’s recent mental decline, with defense lawyers arguing that his health troubles preceded the collision.

In an attempt to undercut Sanderson’s claim that his health was ruined by the crash, the lawyer made him confirm a long list of trips he subsequently took in South America, Europe, Morocco and various U.S. states, at one point pulling up a social media photo of Sanderson "going on a hike, taking a picture of moose.”

Owens, who had earlier apologized for “being an a--” while cross-examining Sanderson’s daughter, scolded the plaintiff on the last full day of trial for publicly comparing Paltrow to movie monsters.
“Did you compare my client to King Kong coming out of the jungle?” Owens asked.
“Sounds familiar,” Sanderson said.
“Did you refer to her as Godzilla to her daughter?”

echo_VT

Angel Diva
The observations about how fast he was skiing on a green slope, from behind definitely say to me that he was probably out of control and if not, still not skiing appropriately for the terrain. If she exclaimed, you just skied into me! And it was heard by several people and the end result seen by multiple people (him behind her knocked over) it seems that she was the downhill skier as well. It rubbed me the wrong way when he tried to sue the resort and the workers too. We all sign a waiver bc it is an inherently not easy sport with speed and sharp edges on equipment. I’m glad it was in her favor!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The observations about how fast he was skiing on a green slope, from behind definitely say to me that he was probably out of control and if not, still not skiing appropriately for the terrain. If she exclaimed, you just skied into me! And it was heard by several people and the end result seen by multiple people (him behind her knocked over) it seems that she was the downhill skier as well. It rubbed me the wrong way when he tried to sue the resort and the workers too. We all sign a waiver bc it is an inherently not easy sport with speed and sharp edges on equipment. I’m glad it was in her favor!
Agreed, so much about him and his actions were screaming, "Where's my pay day?" I am sorry for his injuries and the mental issues he has sustained, but seeing the way he has handled it leaves me with very little sympathy otherwise.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
There’s some interesting gender dynamics too. Like as a woman, even if someone does something wrong and we’re angry, we often take a minute to process rather than reacting. So her shock was a VERY gendered response, right?

He had already been experiencing loss of sight before the accident, I believe.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took @Iwannaski's statement to mean that Paltrow's reaction to the collision was one that would be more expected from a woman v. man. WARNING: GROSS GENERALIZATION - Men tend to lash out immediately, while women will take stock of the situation before reacting one way or another.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I took @Iwannaski's statement to mean that Paltrow's reaction to the collision was one that would be more expected from a woman v. man. WARNING: GROSS GENERALIZATION - Men tend to lash out immediately, while women will take stock of the situation before reacting one way or another.
Yes. It’s a gross generalization. And it’s pretty gross. But it’s also generally true. GENERALLY. And sadly.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Well it’s a fight or flight situation right? Someone skied into her and she had a fight response which I think is fairly human (non-gendered)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Well it’s a fight or flight situation right? Someone skied into her and she had a fight response which I think is fairly human (non-gendered)
she DIDN’T have a fight response. She said something and went into a shock state. It’s very different. As a woman who has worked and studied in many male dominated environments, I have experienced what the kids described in their depositions and it is a VERY gendered response. I have trained myself out of it for the most part. I have still experienced and witnessed it.

I think it bears bringing to light in a WOMEN’S ski forum. That’s why I said something.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Yes she did say something, and then she cursed at him as well. I’m not understanding. I thought cursing at him was a fight response. Can you explain to me how it’s a thoughtful response?

I am also not familiar with what the kids described as well that explains it’s a gendered response. Also what is “training yourself out of it” — this is the first time I’ve heard of any of that. Any elaboration there would be helpful.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna