• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good YouTube videos to help progress?

SnowMom

Certified Ski Diva
This year I am hoping to be able to ski a bit more as I make a shift from mom-zone, always watching a child while skiing, to having a bit of free time to ski either by myself or with other adults. Not sure if others here have the same experience, but I always feel somewhat on high alert while skiing with kids and don't really focus as much on my own technique or experience.

While I patiently wait for more snow and more terrain to open, I am hoping someone may have recommendations for good YouTube videos I can watch to help me improve my skills or at least remind myself of what I am supposed to be doing.

Pre-pandemic, I did the local women's program lessons and they were great, but they sold out before opening for public registration this year.

I am happiest on blue runs, but do not mind easier blacks at Park City, my home mountain. I could probably manage harder blacks but haven't tried. Last year I had 20 days on the mountain, which is pretty good for me. I came to skiing later in life and took my first lesson after age 40. I really felt comfortable at the end of last season, even though I know I have areas to improve, and am looking forward to getting back out there.

My husband is a former collegiate racer who measures his season vertical in millions of vertical feet. His video recommendations were not the best fit for me.

Some things I know I need to work on:
- turning: not throwing my shoulders around as I turn and linking my turns better
- balance of weight on my skis: I joke that I can only turn in one direction. I can turn in either, but I do heavily favor one foot

General info about me:
- Late 40s
- Relatively fit (I do a solid 1-2 hours of hard working out each morning 4-5 days a week)
- Visual learner: it helps me to see things demonstrated, bullet points & checklists are my friends
- I have not been good about prioritizing myself or my needs. In this family, it often feels like my needs come last. It is a work in progress.

I don't know if my equipment matters for recommendations, but I ski:
- Head Absolut Joy skis with Tyrolia SLR 9.0 bindings
- Older boots: Atomic Waymaker 90 but the intuition liners are still comfortable

I'm willing to invest in newer or better equipment if it will make a difference. It just hasn't been a priority. I'm ready to try to figure things out and be a better skier.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations or advice.

Jilly

Staff member
- turning: not throwing my shoulders around as I turn and linking my turns better
- balance of weight on my skis: I joke that I can only turn in one direction. I can turn in either, but I do heavily favor one foot
This sounds like a good lesson is in order. Spend some money on that, instead of new equipment right now.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This year I am hoping to be able to ski a bit more as I make a shift from mom-zone, always watching a child while skiing, to having a bit of free time to ski either by myself or with other adults. Not sure if others here have the same experience, but I always feel somewhat on high alert while skiing with kids and don't really focus as much on my own technique or experience.

While I patiently wait for more snow and more terrain to open, I am hoping someone may have recommendations for good YouTube videos I can watch to help me improve my skills or at least remind myself of what I am supposed to be doing.

Pre-pandemic, I did the local women's program lessons and they were great, but they sold out before opening for public registration this year.

I am happiest on blue runs, but do not mind easier blacks at Park City, my home mountain. I could probably manage harder blacks but haven't tried. Last year I had 20 days on the mountain, which is pretty good for me. I came to skiing later in life and took my first lesson after age 40. I really felt comfortable at the end of last season, even though I know I have areas to improve, and am looking forward to getting back out there.

My husband is a former collegiate racer who measures his season vertical in millions of vertical feet. His video recommendations were not the best fit for me.

General info about me:
- Late 40s
- Relatively fit (I do a solid 1-2 hours of hard working out each morning 4-5 days a week)
- Visual learner: it helps me to see things demonstrated, bullet points & checklists are my friends
- I have not been good about prioritizing myself or my needs. In this family, it often feels like my needs come last. It is a work in progress.

I don't know if my equipment matters for recommendations, but I ski:
- Head Absolut Joy skis with Tyrolia SLR 9.0 bindings
- Older boots: Atomic Waymaker 90 but the intuition liners are still comfortable

I'm willing to invest in newer or better equipment if it will make a difference. It just hasn't been a priority. I'm ready to try to figure things out and be a better skier.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations or advice.
Hi, welcome! Sounds like you need a tune up and dedicated time for you to enjoy the snow.. Check out Deb Armstrong videos, they are great. I give them for homework in my lessons. Time on snow is all you'll need.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I'll second (third, fourth?) Deb Armstrong. She not only knows her stuff, she does an excellent job communicating it. I suggest starting with the beginner videos as a review. I'm an instructor and am working my way through her videos as an early season refresher. And of course I agree with the lesson recommendation. When you arrange the lesson explain what you are looking for and they should pair you with someone who will work well with you.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some other Youtube channels to check out besides the amazing Deb Armstrong include Tom Gellie (Big Picture Skiing), the channel for Carv, and a channel called "Triggerboy62" who's channel is more ski racing focused but he also has some good videos on drills and non-racing specific content.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Deb Armstrong too, but in case you like having a variety of channels to check, I also like one of the older YouTube ski school channels, SkiSchool - it started 12yrs ago, so I sometimes am internally shouting "why aren't you wearing a helmet?" for the oldest beginner/intermediate videos. (It seemed to take longer to be normalized among British skiers.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna