• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good guidelines to build a quiver?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a quiver of 2 skis, Kenjas and Savory 7. They compliment each other very well. I brought both of them on my trip to SLC this winter and didn't mind lugging them around. Savory 7 are really lightweight ski so it's not that bad for me to wheel them around together with Kenjas in Sportube. I had to be creative with my ski clothing packing, but since I flew Southwest two checked bags are free I managed to pack just right and fit in everything I needed. With that said I only skied Savory 2X out of the whole week and I probably would have been fine on Kenjas because the fresh snow we got that week wasn't that deep - couple of inches of fresh snow at most. I will probably take both of my skis on the future out west trips if I am traveling without DH. I agree that renting skis on powder day is a hassle and 17o+ cm length might be difficult to come by in women's pow skis.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are in
With an acronym like that I will surely have to add this ski to my demo list for next season.

You really, really should. I have not been on another ski since I pulled them out at Big Sky and discovered they gripped on ice much better than my Scott The Ski. Since then I have been on them on ice, crud, slush, corn, chunks on top of firm, and powder on refreeze - and they've been great.

abc

Banned
So I quote you saying "For those who don't realistically get ANY 8" fluffy powder days in their home mountain, buying has more hassle than benefit," and then we change it to lugging two pairs around airports in every trip? :tongue: Talk about moving the goalposts ...
They're related, very closely. In fact, they're one and the same.

If one doesn't get powder at home. Where does one use the powder ski but during trips away from home???

And if so, how does the ski get there but for the owner to lug it around the airport?

Unless you're suggesting they only take their powder board on all trips, we're taking about take TWO pairs.

I didn't invent the goal post(s). Several divas had brought that up. May I ask how often do you travel to ski and how many (and what) skis you lug around on your trips?

I have a quiver of 2 skis, Kenjas and Savory 7. They compliment each other very well. I brought both of them on my trip to SLC this winter and didn't mind lugging them around. Savory 7 are really lightweight ski so it's not that bad for me to wheel them around together with Kenjas in Sportube. I had to be creative with my ski clothing packing, but since I flew Southwest two checked bags are free I managed to pack just right and fit in everything I needed. With that said I only skied Savory 2X out of the whole week and I probably would have been fine on Kenjas because the fresh snow we got that week wasn't that deep - couple of inches of fresh snow at most. I will probably take both of my skis on the future out west trips if I am traveling without DH. I agree that renting skis on powder day is a hassle and 17o+ cm length might be difficult to come by in women's pow skis.

Just curious if you tried the Saffron 7 or if you just went right for the Savory? The Saffron is on my demo list for next year. My thinking is the Savory is too wide for me to justify it as a powder ski since i ski in new england. I figured the Saffron is narrower and I might get more use out of it cause it can handle other conditions to a degree that aren't powder?

altagirl

Staff member
I'm the weirdo who only skis powder boards period. My quiver is like 99 (rock skis), 115 and 119 underfoot.

I find them just fine on nice groomer days. And in really bad conditions, I don't bother skiing anyway.

Powder days may be few and far between lately, but if you miss that first run messing with demos, you've missed a lot.
My quiver theory revolves around skis for the conditions you want to enjoy skiing in the most. And while I may be the oddball here, at our last girls deer valley day, we had a good sized group and it was white stripe only conditions and most of us were on "powder skis" because that's all we use. And it was fun.

Many "powder skis" these days are pretty versatile. Mine may be 119 underfoot but they have traditional camber in addition to rocker, and a 16m turn radius.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're related, very closely. In fact, they're one and the same.

If one doesn't get powder at home. Where does one use the powder ski but during trips away from home???

And if so, how does the ski get there but for the owner to lug it around the airport?

Unless you're suggesting they only take their powder board on all trips, we're taking about take TWO pairs.

I didn't invent the goal post(s). Several divas had brought that up. May I ask how often do you travel to ski and how many (and what) skis you lug around on your trips?

I initially started out describing "a handful of powder days." Most avid skiers even on the East Coast (especially so this season) will get that over the course of 6 or 8 seasons. Then it somehow went from getting none to getting them only when traveling.

To answer your question, I travel to ski quite a bit. Haven't been to Europe lately, but this season I flew to Jackson Hole twice and Utah once. I usually fly to about three ski resorts every winter, and I always take two pairs of skis when in the US; I take only one when I go to Europe. Usually only two when I drive, but if I have room I might take more.

I don't get a rat's ass what people buy -- I was just putting forth reasons why people might want to avoid renting skis on powder days. Personally, I (and many others) like to have the option in my hands, and believe that financial considerations are more likely barriers than logistics issues. That's all.

abc

Banned
I initially started out describing "a handful of powder days." Most avid skiers even on the East Coast (especially so this season) will get that over the course of 6 or 8 seasons.
I think that's where we misunderstood each other.

Northeast "powder" aren't really powdery, not most of the time anyway. Most of those are wet cement type of snow. Wide baord helps but not soft "powder" board for those conditions.

Those true powder days may happen at MOST 2--3 time a season, IF AT ALL. So it would take a VERY dedicated skier to catch even one of them in a season.

Hence my earlier assertion it'd take 10 years to get a handful of true powder day, which will also means the "powder ski" will be rather out of date in technology by that time.

(My own 30--40 day seasons, of which typically split evenly half-half east vs west, netted me exactly ONE SINGLE true powder day in the east in the last 5 or 6 years!)

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think that's where we misunderstood each other.

Northeast "powder" aren't really powdery, not most of the time anyway. Most of those are wet cement type of snow. Wide baord helps but not soft "powder" board for those conditions.

Those true powder days may happen at MOST 2--3 time a season, IF AT ALL. So it would take a VERY dedicated skier to catch even one of them in a season.

Hence my earlier assertion it'd take 10 years to get a handful of true powder day, which will also means the "powder ski" will be rather out of date in technology by that time.

(My own 30--40 day seasons, of which typically split evenly half-half east vs west, netted me exactly ONE SINGLE true powder day in the east in the last 5 or 6 years!)

Not this season! I had a ton of soft and fluffy wonderful powder days this season at Sunday River. I'm sure next season is going to be quite the disappointment after this one! Granted it was an epic year and doesn't usually happen this way for us, getting snow multiple times per week for 6 weeks straight was just wow. I also live in MA where we got pounded by snow, so every time I suspected work was going to be cancelled we went and skied on the weekdays instead. Amazing how many days of fresh snow I got this year with no crowds whatsoever since people either didn't want to drive, it was too cold for them, or they were stuck with snow removal efforts.. again I am predicting a disappointing year next year after this one for me!! :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just curious if you tried the Saffron 7 or if you just went right for the Savory? The Saffron is on my demo list for next year. My thinking is the Savory is too wide for me to justify it as a powder ski since i ski in new england. I figured the Saffron is narrower and I might get more use out of it cause it can handle other conditions to a degree that aren't powder?
I'm loving the Saffron 7 new for 2015… It basically is the old Rossi s3…. great in powder and still okay on groomed… Thought about the Savory 7 but demoed the Saffron 7 first and said, that's it…. In tahoe where I primarily ski, we don't get tons of powder days… Well, we used to…. not in the last 4 years

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm loving the Saffron 7 new for 2015… It basically is the old Rossi s3…. great in powder and still okay on groomed… Thought about the Savory 7 but demoed the Saffron 7 first and said, that's it…. In tahoe where I primarily ski, we don't get tons of powder days… Well, we used to…. not in the last 4 years
I had a chance to demo the Saffron 7 at the Alta Demo Day last weekend. Conditions were not good for off-piste (frozen spring snow) at all, but I did confirm that they do well for me on groomed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had a chance to demo the Saffron 7 at the Alta Demo Day last weekend. Conditions were not good for off-piste (frozen spring snow) at all, but I did confirm that they do well for me on groomed.
Yes, surprisingly well. Today was kind of hard pack and icy (well, west coast idea of icy) and they did fine… Think on a powder day at Alta the Savory 7 could be the ski… Curious, what else did you demo? I was thinking of the Atomic Elysian as well, but was at Heavenly and did not want to do the 18 minute gondola ride each way to change skis.. So demoed the Saffron's for two days and was quite happy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, surprisingly well. Today was kind of hard pack and icy (well, west coast idea of icy) and they did fine… Think on a powder day at Alta the Savory 7 could be the ski… Curious, what else did you demo? I was thinking of the Atomic Elysian as well, but was at Heavenly and did not want to do the 18 minute gondola ride each way to change skis.. So demoed the Saffron's for two days and was quite happy.
What I demo'd and liked were the Rossi Temptation 88, Temptation 84, Head Great Joy, and the DPS Yvette. I already knew I like the DPS Nina 99 and the narrower Head Joy models.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What I demo'd and liked were the Rossi Temptation 88, Temptation 84, Head Great Joy, and the DPS Yvette. I already knew I like the DPS Nina 99 and the narrower Head Joy models.
For Alta in powder I would think the DPS Nina 99 would work well….. One of the divas, maybe @Jilly is a big Rossi fan...

I heard the Great Joy was very different than the Total Joy which I didn't like so curious about the Great Joy. Saffron 7 is one I am considering along with the Nordica Santa Ana, Blizzard Samba and the Elysian. I LOVE the elysian, love............... great ski, didn't want to stop skiing it. One of these guys will be my "powder" ski because IMO I don't need more than this in the northeast as we don't get giant amounts of powder. So I kinda needs something that can handle more powder than my Kenja when we do get it but one that isn't so far that it can't handle a little hard pack and varied conditions as well.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, never tried Saffron 7. I think the constructions is slighttly different from Savory 7. Both skis have airtip, but Savory 7 has paulownia/diago core and Saffron has poplar core. I am not sure how that translates into how they ski though.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Nope, never tried Saffron 7. I think the constructions is slighttly different from Savory 7. Both skis have airtip, but Savory 7 has paulownia/diago core and Saffron has poplar core. I am not sure how that translates into how they ski though.
Saffron 7 is 98mm underfoot and Savory 7 is 106mm underfoot (and obviously wider tip and tail)

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saffron 7 is 98mm underfoot and Savory 7 is 106mm underfoot (and obviously wider tip and tail)
Right, I thought that was already mentioned though. I didn't specify the dimensions because @surfsnowgirl was saying she didn't want the ski as wide as Savory 7 and is interested in Saffron 7 because they are narrower. I assumed she knew the dimensions of the skis..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Only reason I'm commenting is I was a bit torn between the Savory 7 and the Saffron 7… I'm only 5'1 and lightweight and thought the wider Savory might be a bit much as the shortest length is a 162 in both..

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only reason I'm commenting is I was a bit torn between the Savory 7 and the Saffron 7… I'm only 5'1 and lightweight and thought the wider Savory might be a bit much as the shortest length is a 162 in both..
Oh yeah, good point for someone more petite Saffron is probably much better. I am a much bigger and taller, 6'1, not lightweight :smile: so yeah Savory 7 is better for me. I wondered if the construction made any difference in how they ski/stiffness? I would imagine they are both softer/lively/lightweight ski meant for soft snow, but not sure if there is difference between the two in how they ski other than width. Did you try both?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga