• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going straight.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
They're still out there -- people who refuse to give up their straight skis and won't ski on anything else. Skied with a fellow today who had straight skis from 1990, and boots that were older than that. Good skier, too.

I know we all like to talk about the latest and the greatest, but just wondering: Anyone here still have straight skis in their quivers?

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard that boots that old are dangerous: they can explode in the middle of a run.

I've never skied on straight skis. That's one reason why my ski length is increasing rather than decreasing as the years go by.

I still have my straight skis! I love them! They are Rossignols and I skiied on them in 2001-2002. I just switched over to shaped skis the following season. I really love my Rossi's! :D

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a teenager I learned to ski straight skis then, after college, left the sport to have babies. 12 years later, I returned to find the sport had advanced to "parabolic" skis, and that's when the love affair began. I will ski on anything, but straight skis just don't perform like curved skis.

Jilly

Staff member
Been there done that and not going back. I've been skiing waaaayy to long. I love the parabolics and never did the rear entry boots. I was on a ski instructors course in 1984 when rear entry was in its heigh-day. Everyone on rear entry boots failed. So, I never went there. I've skied straight, first verison, second and true parabolic. I love my Rossi Z5's (and maybe the Fischer vision breeze?) that are true parabolics. I've never had less than 4 buckles on my boots. Last weekend at Tremblant I notice lots of "old stuff". In most cases it was Dad with Junior on rentals and new. Heh Dad get with the programme!!

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate to admit it, but my father is stuck in his ways, rear entry boots and a psychedelic jacket straight from the eighties. You gotta love him.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heh... my husband was actually bemoaning his decision to get rid of his old straight skis while we were out at mount snow. He got rid of them like 1 or 2 years before we started skiing together. I guess figuring he'd been away from the sport for 10+ years so he would never use them again...

Jilly

Staff member
I watched some people last weekend at Tremblant that were skiing on old stuff. Boy they were working hard, for what?? I like the "moving over" as opposed to "plant, up unweight, pivot, steer, edge and pressure".

marta

Angel Diva
Seems like this spring, more than ever, straight skis, rear entry boots and blue jeans seem like they are coming out of the woodwork. They were all over the place last week! 195's, 205's, 210's even.

I took out my old straight skis to use as rock skis one day a few years ago. I was pooped after 3 runs. Never again!! They're destined to become an adirondack chair now....

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never skied straight skis. I never really see them on the hill, except for the one time I went to a tiny little bump in Indiana (Pines Peak) and around 80 percent of the skiers were on straight skis. Very strange.

As for rear entry boots, I skied in rear entry rental boots once, and I never will again. It didn't help that they were way too big. It was my second time skiing.

My first time, the hill I'd went to (Cascade, WI) had pretty nice rentals (at least comparatively!), I imagine my boots probably weren't the right size the first time, but it can't've been that bad, and the equipment was current, the boots were less than a year old.

The second time was at a much smaller place (Alpine Valley, WI). I'd already been fit for boots, but I didn't have my skis yet, and they didn't rent just skis out so I had to get rental boots as well. I told her my mondo size (25.5) and she told me that wasn't right, because of the shoe size I wear (10, sometimes 11). I kept telling her that I know what size I want, and she insisted that my idea of my boot size was based on a brand that sized things differently, and that I needed a 27.5. This went on for some time, and eventually I insisted that despite the fact that I could be wrong about this, I only wanted to rent boots in the size I asked for. She said she wasn't allowed to, as a professional she couldn't let someone who doesn't know better take inappropriate equipment and be liable when I hurt myself skiing the wrong size boots. I asked to speak with the manager, who more or less repeated what she said, and said that the most they could do was go down to a 27.

So off I went in huge, old, rear entry boots. Not much fun at all. I'm glad that wasn't my first day, it would've been hard to get hooked :rolleyes:

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
They're still out there -- people who refuse to give up their straight skis and won't ski on anything else...

Present. I'm a member of this tribe.

Edit: I rescue unwanted straight skis and give them a loving home. 185s only, new or gently used. If you are tossing straight skis and live nearby, PM me.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took my straight skis out once after skiing on my 1st generation shpaed Olins for a couple of weeks. I made 2 runs, tossed them in the car, and got back on the Olins. The straight skis went into the dumpster the minute I got home.

On the rear entry boots...been there, done that....never again! Anybody else out there skied in the Salomon SX-71?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skied my straight skis until 2003. Two years ago, I took the bindings off them and decided that I'd make the skis into a coat rack. Except, the things are too long (175s) to fit across any wall in my apartment!

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My old straight skis are a thing of the past!! I don't miss them at all. I have to admit that my husband and I have seen a lot of straight skis, rear entry boots, and classic 80s CB jackets this year. My husband made a funny observation on the chairlift Sunday. He said look at the people with straight skis they look like they are wearing Elf Shoes!! I can't get that image out of my head every time I see or read about straight skis. LOL!!

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the Salomon SX81s. what horrible boots. I still have nerve dammage in my right foot from those wonderful cables.
For old time sake, I also have a pair of Fischer RC4 Vaccum SLEs in the basement, but they haven't been used since 1995.

We were at Heavenly last March for 3 day. I couldn't believe all of the old straight skis & rear entry boots. Is it old equipement heaven?

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the SX 81s too. Got rid of them a couple of years after dumping my old straight K2s. I guess I should have bought new boots right away, but I was stubborn. After a season of suffering in the the rear entrys, I caved and bought some new boots.
What is it about those old boots anyway? I still see lots of them on the hill.

Jilly

Staff member
Talking to anyone who is still in rear-entry boots its because "they are sooooo comfortable!" Salomon made those boots to last too. They are not exploding like the Hansen's or Scotts! But absolutely no performance. And you never could flex the things! Everyone is sitting back and wondering why their quads are burning!!

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
volklgirl said:
On the rear entry boots...been there, done that....never again! Anybody else out there skied in the Salomon SX-71?
In highschool, I had the SX-91equipes. I actually loved those boots, especially with my Rossi 4s. Although, I was still just learning how to parallel ski.

I had Head skis in the mis 1980s that I assume were straight skis. They were 180 cm length (I now ski on 156 length) and I never did learn to "parallel" ski back then and often crossed my tips. I didn't ski from that time until 2004, and am very happy with the equipment options nowadays.:D

abc

Banned
I still have straight skis. Not that I love them or what. But I seem to be able to do what I want on them so what's the big deal?

The big deal is, it's harder, more work to achieve the same result! I've tried the shorter shape skis and they're as fast and turns better. So no sense hanging on to the older gear and work harder.

But until I nail the new one I like, I'm still on my straight ones. And I still go everywhere I want and have fun.

I originally thought I would keep the old ski even after I get a new one. Just to use the old one as a "rocl ski". But I realize I don't ski crappy conditions anyway. So no sense pretending to keep the ski for conditions I wouldn't encounter. ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga