• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ginkgo Biloba

cmc2222

Diva in Training
Hi All,

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with taking Ginkgo Biloba to prevent altitude sickness? I am allergic to Diamox (the usual medicine that is prescribed to combat altitude sickness) and I am looking to find something else that may work when I start reaching higher altitudes especially in Colorado. I stay extra hydrated as well but it seems that I still get sick. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's an article/thread on Epic from a doctor on faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine who doubles as a skier and Epicski Bear. It's packed with info you may be interested.

Gradual ascent, sleeping low if possible, staying hydrated, well rested and making an effort to mind your breathing should all help. If you want to take ginkgo biloba, start taking it 5 days before your trip. All the things I looked at when researching altitude sickness showed that it's more of a preventative measure than a treatment.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

leenski

Certified Ski Diva
I actually have experimented with the ginko. My first ski trip out west, maybe it was 15 years ago, was to Breckenridge. It was the first time this flatlander was ever at that elevation! Although never getting sick, I was pretty misersble. Mostly awful headache and not being able to sleep. The next time out there, like 4 years ago, I started with the ginko 5 days before leaving. I felt much better this time, still a little winded, but slept better and no real headache. So, about 4 days into the trip, I stopped the ginko, thinking it wouldn't make a difference. Like the next day, I couldn't sleep well and couldn't breath at night. I would get up gasping for air and wanted to jump out of the window to try to breath! Started the ginko again for the rest of the trip and felt better. 2 years ago when I went to Utah, I started the ginko 5 days before, took it the whole time there and felt fine. I'm sure the fact that I stayed in Sandy rather than in the mountains helped. Isn't there some idea that athletes follow that say you should train high and sleep low? Not sure if it was the ginko or not, but I would certainly use it again. If there is no medical reason to not use it, it's worth the try. I thought I read that it causes your blood to not clot as well if you take it. I'm sure that someone here would know more about that than me.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully SnowHot will stop in because I know she found something that worked miracles for her DH.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have experimented with the ginko. My first ski trip out west, maybe it was 15 years ago, was to Breckenridge. It was the first time this flatlander was ever at that elevation! Although never getting sick, I was pretty misersble. Mostly awful headache and not being able to sleep. The next time out there, like 4 years ago, I started with the ginko 5 days before leaving. I felt much better this time, still a little winded, but slept better and no real headache. So, about 4 days into the trip, I stopped the ginko, thinking it wouldn't make a difference. Like the next day, I couldn't sleep well and couldn't breath at night. I would get up gasping for air and wanted to jump out of the window to try to breath! Started the ginko again for the rest of the trip and felt better. 2 years ago when I went to Utah, I started the ginko 5 days before, took it the whole time there and felt fine. I'm sure the fact that I stayed in Sandy rather than in the mountains helped. Isn't there some idea that athletes follow that say you should train high and sleep low? Not sure if it was the ginko or not, but I would certainly use it again. If there is no medical reason to not use it, it's worth the try. I thought I read that it causes your blood to not clot as well if you take it. I'm sure that someone here would know more about that than me.

Keep in mind, too, that Breckenridge is one of the highest-elevation places you can stay, and Utah is overall lower than Colorado. Breckenridge's town altitude is 9600 ft, and you approach 13,000 ft at the top of the resort. Salt Lake City and environs are 4200 ft or so, and the summit of, say, Alta, is 10,500.

That's not to say the gingko didn't help in Utah, but you're right, it's most likely that you were much much lower than you were in Breck.

Even those of us who are used to higher elevations can have trouble sleeping above 10,000 ft. I don't have any problem at our condo, 9,700 ft, but getting above that magical 10,000 makes a difference.

cmc2222

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the info everyone! I am going to try taking Gingko 5 days before I go to higher elevations. Crossing my fingers it works for me :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna