• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting ready to ski workout?

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
Hello again everyone, sorry to ask so many questions but I am an information junkie! :becky:

I was wondering if someone could recommend a website with a good series of exercises to build ski-appropriate muscles. I have access to a gym with weight machines and stationary bikes and a pool.

Thanks!

Janet

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now Terry! That is fine for you one of the most fit people I know. But, the rest of us sorry couch potatoes need a little less than Mega Cross Fit.

I might suggest the Bosu Ski workout on DVD and any other workout that focuses on the core.:wink:

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Lil,
All the exercises can be scaled back to your own ability level.Very functional exercises! Any one can do it!

T

Jilly

Staff member
There are usually some work outs in the ski mags this time of year. Also ask the trainers at the gym for some ideas. You live in ski country, I'm sure someone knows what needs to be done.

whitefaceskier

Diva in Training
Don't laugh, but the the Wii Active program by EA sports has lots of lunges and squats as part of the core workout. (I don't work for either company)

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Crossfit can be scaled. I am an example of that. I just cannot lift the big weight but I still am getting a benefit. lots of squats etc. Tcarey are you back at crossfit now?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Crossfit can be scaled. I am an example of that. I just cannot lift the big weight but I still am getting a benefit. lots of squats etc. Tcarey are you back at crossfit now?

Yup I have been going 2 to 3 times a week,mostly the 12:00 class and sometimes the 9:00 class.My legs are pretty toasted most of the time from all the squats!

T

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is one link, although I think it's more geared to dryland training than the gym, but skispecific. I think it also gives a better breakdown of the disciplines of training for skiing than it offers great exercises ( especially the core, I think there are definately better core excercises out there than these. Especially not a fan of straight leg sit ups especially if you are prone to low back pain ) The plyometrics are pretty good though.

https://www.freestylesnowsports.co.uk/fitness.html#section1

and another:

https://video.aol.com/video-detail/bosu-ball-leg-workout-iron-man-legs/663696101

You can find a number of excersises in some of the magazines etc listed above also. Try this as a breakdown depending on the time you have available and your current fitness level.

Cardio - 3-5 xs per week
Stength -2- 3x's per week
balance - 2-3xs per week
flexibility - 5-7 x's per week
Core - 3-5x's per week

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh boy. I thought I did great this off-season. Elliptical 1-2x every week for 30-60 mins. Hand weights. Pully weights with legs. Biking. Abs. Yadda yadda.

Went skiing this past Sunday for first time - probably a good 4 solid hours of moguls and somewhat steep crust (not including lunch, pit stops, etc). OMG...it's Tuesday and I am just feeling like I can walk like normal. Lower back muscles are sore. But omg...my legs. Inner thigh, outer thigh, gluts, hamstrings...so sore. I never knew my inner thighs got such a work out skiing. Does feel nice in a way though, I beat myself up until I had 0 energy left.

So...try hard as you might, but ultimately, skiing is the best exercise for skiing. I don't think I'd have lasted as long if I was out of shape, so it helps with the stamina.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The new Body Pump release has a lunge track that is absolutely KILLER! :eek: Involves using a step without risers, making an already hard exercise even harder. GREAT glute workout.

I have found that proper warm-up prior to skiing, a "cool-down" run (i.e., easy going) at the end and stretching of all major muscle groups afterward goes a long way to reducing DOMS.

Lactic acid is no fun - your body's way of reminding you of too much output. It really can be, at the very least, minimized.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Interesting article in last week's NY Times about lactic acid and the fact that doctors/exercise physiologists now realize it is a good thing -- needed to fuel muscles -- not the bad byproduct we once thought it was. The article questioned the accepted "dogma" that one needs to end exercise with a cool-down period, the point being that eliminating lactic acid isn't all that good.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The article actually came out over 3 years ago:
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html
I should have put that mention of mine in quotes -- because what's actually happening is microscopic muscle tears (helped my son study for his CFT exam) - at about the same time as lactic acid is produced -- those tears being responsible for the soreness or delayed-onset soreness (D.O.M.S). You're right in that it's not the lactic acid.

I've yet, however, to be involved in any type of fitness program that didn't emphasize the importance of warm-up, cool-down and some post-stretching -- although, who knows, maybe they're all out of date as well? :noidea: All I know is that if I miss this cool down and stretching, I definitely feel the difference versus when I've done it - especially after skiing.

Eirika

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, thanks everyone! it's been a busy week at work so I am just catching up on my e-mails. I have a lot to look at and I will consult with the people at our gym about a program as well as things I can do at home.

Gosh - between this ski season and next biking season I could be well on my way to fitness and enjoying the trip! :smile:

Janet

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ Extremely interesting, thanks! Another one to bookmark. Cool-down/stretch might be completely and totally unnecessary! Ah, conventional wisdom..."another one bites the dust." I won't feel so bad, then, on the days I get distracted and/or late and forget! (Doing cool/stretch harkening back to ancient ballet training)

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I saw these posts about DOMS and lactic acid yesterday and was planning to post but see that you guys have beat me to the punch on my main point. :smile:

After years of sore muscles after skiing - seemingly no matter what I did during the off-season - I started trying to read more about this, and the whole DOMS thing is very interesting.

As mentioned above, it does involve micro-tears in the muscle fiber. The pain we experience the next day that lasts for several days or up to a week, is a result of the swelling associated with these tears. (If you've overdone it on the slopes, no hot tub for you! Ice those quads after skiing! - And don't forget the vitamin "I" :D). Lactic acid does cause the burn we feel while skiing, but it is quickly gone out of your muscles within a couple of hours and is not responsible for the soreness that sets in later on. (Here is where our off-season aerobic conditioning - especially interval training - can help. It reduces lactic acid buildup.)

Anyway . . . apparently, skiing uses "eccentric" (as opposed to concentric) muscle contractions. During this type of contraction, the muscle fibers are actually getting longer even while trying to get shorter. There are not many sports that involve as much eccentric muscle contraction as skiing (horseback riding and downhill walking are two others), which is why it's so true when people say - the best exercise for skiing is skiing.

That said, some of the exercises you see in ski training programs can really help. And they tend to be the exercises that use jumping motions - like jump lunges, and jumping side to side over a line on the floor, and jumping on and off a step, etc.

But here's the thing - it's not the explosion upward that is the important part of the exercise. It's the landing. Landing over and over again and catching your weight with your leg muscles. THAT is what will help the most. And that kind of excercise has gone along way toward minimizing DOMS during the ski season for me.
I say "minimize", because even with these exercises, I still get sore sometimes.

I also walk up and down stairs (again - walking down is the important part), or go on hikes that require me to walk down steep slopes.

But there is no doubt - skiing truly is the best exercise for skiing!

altagirl

Staff member
The cool down thing is interesting. I agree that I don't really seem to notice much of a difference if I cool down or not, aside from times when if I'm doing full out sprints, if I just STOP, I occasionally feel like I'm going to pass out, so I generally make myself keep moving for a bit to keep from getting lightheaded.

But the only other thing I can think of is that if you have tight muscles/imbalances, etc. that need to be stretched - you're supposed to do that when you're warmed up. So you might as well do that after you exercise, no?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga