• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting From Fernie to Red Mountain resort

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,

I am headed to Fernie for 2 weeks in February and was looking to head to Red Mountain for a week afterward. My first skiing trip to Canada.......
Does anybody know if it is possible to get from Fernie to Red mountain/Rossland via public transport?. I have looked at both resorts websites and checked greyhound buses but come up with nothing helpful.
Any info greatly appreciated.

niko

Certified Ski Diva
Hi jaelni

I have been researching this myself. Im also heading that way in jan/feb. Ill be based in fernie for 6 weeks but id also like to check out red as well. The info i have
so far is:
*Greyhound goes from Fernie to Castlegar with a connection on to trail which is only 10kms from rossland. Apparently you can easily get a cab or public
transport in from trail. It leaves fernie at 315am or 1205 pm. Not sure if this is daily. the greyhound canada site does my head in!! It takes about 7hrs from fernie to
castlegar
*One of my friends who worked in fernie thought you could get a transfer but if you didnt have 3-4 people it would be pretty expensive.

Greyhound will prob be cheapest option but in adds 4-5 hrs (if u add connections) on to travel time compared to driving. Im gonna be strapped for time so prob will rent a car with some friends and go up for a few days. Def keen to check red out heard great things!
Im still looking into it- if i find out anything else helpful ill let you know. Have a great trip

ps you might want to join our aussie diva group

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
Niko,
Thanks for the info - i agree with you the Greyhound site does my head in as well!
Red is starting to be a bit of a challenge . There is a thread on the ski.com.au website about Red - and apparently there is no shuttle/transport from Rossland to Red resort.So if you stay in Rossland you need to hitch a ride to the resort?
So the public transport idea is looking less and less appealing - I am now looking at doing a group ski tour in that area, to make the most of my time......
really looking forward to Fernie, when are you going?

i will have a look for the Aussie Diva group
thanks again

niko

Certified Ski Diva
jaelni im gonna be in fernie from jan 8th till near end of feb. Cant wait! I was over there couple of yrs ago and had a blast. If your gonna be in the area i would check out kicking horse and revelstroke. Last trip went to kicking horse and it was amazing, ive also heard good things about revy. Group tour sounds like a good plan cos there are so many fab resorts in a relatively small area.
Have a blast!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm considering going over to Kicking Horse in Jan and saw yesterday that you can get trips to Red - so there must be some sort of shuttle going on a daily basis for skiiers if nothing else. Kicking Horse of course is on Golden which is on the Greyhound route - I think maybe even the trans-canada. Anyway I've got a horrible feeling that from Fernie you have to go back in to Calgary and then go up to Golden and then across to Red.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
kicking horse anecdote.

Just be careful which bus you get on.
I recall from our visit to Golden/kicking horse several years ago, there was a huge storm and the bus didn't make it in. Every one at the local bar was hugely disappointed as the bus brings in the new stripper (they change weekly) and "fresh meat night" was canceled.

Gawd I love Canada.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
haha geargrrl!

There are some problems with that bus route, namely Roger's Pass which is frequently UN-passable (badoom tish!) - so do NOT leave your return to Calgary/Vancouver until the last minute... you wouldn't be the first person to miss a flight home!

I'm not sure why our Canadian girls aren't helping though - we've got a few live in this area - so why is it the British/US girls are helping? :wink:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Okay, I may be Canadian, but haven't replied cuz I'm just not sure how you get from Fernie to Red. I am pretty sure, however, that it does not involve going through Rogers Pass, which is up on the Trans-Canada Highway, and both these resorts are farther south. I do know that you're very likely to have fabulous skiing at both places - I've been to both, but not on the same trip.

Now, if anyone wants to know how to get from Tremblant to anywhere, I can help with that!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're right - I'm being an eejit - Roger's is up by Golden - as you say - opposite direction!

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're wondering why more Canadian divas haven't weighed in on this question, I suspect they're like me: I have DRIVEN the #3 highway through Fernie en route to the Kootneys many a time, but honestly have no idea about Greyhound or public transit.

But FYI, here's the link to BC public transit: https://www.bctransit.com/regions/default.cfm

good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga