• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Full Face Helmet Recs

elemmac

Angel Diva
First time purchasing a full face helmet. Honestly, I'm not sure where to start. Any recommendations? Brands that have worked for you? Anything I should stay away from? Most import thing to remember is...(blank)?

elemmac

Angel Diva
Also, full on DH or trail riding? Smith makes a really cool one with a removable face guard.

Full DH. I picked up a cross-country bike 6 years ago, got hooked. Bought a downhill bike last year, even more hooked. I've been riding with my trail helmet, but have been getting more and more comfortable with going faster and on more technical trails, so I think it's time to pad up a bit more starting with protecting my noggin.

elemmac

Angel Diva
^looking into neck braces now, s@$&t that's a lot pricier than I expected. But I suppose if it'll save my neck on a big fall, can't really put a price on that.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I ended up ordering a helmet online (couldn't find anywhere local that carried full-face helmets), but have been questioning the fit. So, last weekend when FI and I were up in northern NH, we stopped by a few shops. Each shop had exactly 1 type of full-face helmet. After trying those on...one too big, one WAY to small, another fit my head but I was chomping on my cheeks cause the face pads were so tight...I came to the conclusion that the one I ordered online was by far the best fit. But I'm still a bit hesitant on if it's too big.

Are there any 'tests' that you can do to verify that a helmet fits? Or anyone know of any websites/youtube videos that might show information on the proper fit of a helmet?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
In general, put the helmet on your head and put your hands on it and grip it firmly and move it around. Check for fore/aft movement, side to side, and rotational movement. You shouldn't have any big gaps or slop in the fit.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up ordering a helmet online (couldn't find anywhere local that carried full-face helmets), but have been questioning the fit. So, last weekend when FI and I were up in northern NH, we stopped by a few shops. Each shop had exactly 1 type of full-face helmet. After trying those on...one too big, one WAY to small, another fit my head but I was chomping on my cheeks cause the face pads were so tight...I came to the conclusion that the one I ordered online was by far the best fit. But I'm still a bit hesitant on if it's too big.

Are there any 'tests' that you can do to verify that a helmet fits? Or anyone know of any websites/youtube videos that might show information on the proper fit of a helmet?

The cheekpads may be adjustable - check the model description online. If not, they do get squished down over time. Drives me nuts when I get a new motorcycle helmet, too.

elemmac

Angel Diva
The cheekpads may be adjustable - check the model description online. If not, they do get squished down over time. Drives me nuts when I get a new motorcycle helmet, too.

The one that I tried on was not adjustable, it was a pretty basic, no frills kind of helmet. I'll have to check with the one I bought online...if the cheek pads were a little larger I think I'd feel much better about the fit of it.

elemmac

Angel Diva
You shouldn't have any big gaps or slop in the fit.

I definitely don't have any big gaps, but it does move some...I'll try it again tonight, and make a final decision on it. Thanks for the input.

I suppose I shouldn't have thought buying a full-face would have been different than any other helmet I've owned (ski, bike, hockey, lacrosse)...smalls are always too small...mediums too big.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga