• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fruita, CO - If it's not snowing, we might as well be biking

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does a skier do when it's 60 degrees in the Wasatch in November with no snow in the forecast? Tune up the bikes and head south.

After spending the weekend in Moab a few weeks ago, my husband and I were itching to get down south for some more biking. Last Friday, we drove four hours to one of our favorite mountain biking destinations: Fruita, CO.

For those that aren't familiar with mountain biking in Moab and Western Colorado, this area is a mecca for biking. Fruita is a small farm town just outside of Grand Junction that is known for its immaculate singletrack. Our favorite area, 18 Road, is just north of town at the foot of the Book Cliffs. The trails were built in a series of 5-10 mile loops with a campground smack-dab in the middle of all of it. The trails are well-built and pristine, the loops are short and sweet and can be linked in any combination, and the scenery is unbelievable. The uniqueness of the area can't be beat.

We rolled into town a little later than we hoped and found a campsite at 18 Road around 6:00. The sun was just starting to set, so we grabbed our bikes, rode the 100 ft from our camp to the trail, and flew down Kessel Run, one of the best-known trails there. For those Star Wars nerds out there, it's named after the smuggling run that Han Solo talks about ("I can do the Kessel Run in less than 6 parsecs!") We got back to camp right as it was getting dark, ate a great dinner, and drank some beers while we waited for our friends to arrive.

The next morning, we discussed the plan for the day. We had heard about some newer trails in Grand Junction, right outside of Colorado National Monument, and we were curious to check them out. One in particular, the Ribbon, was on all of our lists. On the way to GJ, we puzzled through the trail descriptions and maps. The map showed what seemed to be an obvious shuttle option (parking a car at the top and bottom so you can ride the whole trail downhill), but there was no mention of it. The guidebook actually recommended riding up the trail and down the paved road. WTF? For those of us that appreciate the down a lot more than the up, that didn't make sense. So we decided to try our luck and shuttle it.

Admiring the awesomeness of the Ribbon
316b92fae4a5b2adb2e4eba4094f22ff.jpg

As we started down the trail and came over the first ridge, our jaws dropped when we saw what was below us. A huge slab of featureless sandstone with cliffs on both sides. We whooped and yee-hawed all the way down. The slab ended and dumped us onto a narrow ridge with huge exposure on both sides. After a little bit of puckering, it opened into another huge slab.

Sandstone slab on Ribbon. The Book Cliffs are in the background.
c4db86f50cc52eae1ae2272035f9489f.jpg

After a couple miles of this, the trail eventually led into a creek bed. The creekbed wound itself through the sandstone canyon, with a lot of really fun technical maneuvering. Eventually, after a huge hike-a-bike portage, it opened up into an awesome singletrack descent.

Tradygirl lovin the singletrack
f993db7ac9dac88da92e8cf04b05b6b5.jpg

Mr. Tradygirl descending
7d989c1f4c50beaf4e6c85cd9d403013.jpg

Our friend J finding a nice technical line
4083acbe8ab38a6eae2f97a4b1740508.jpg

We ran into a guy coming UP the trail and he asked how we liked the climb. Uh, we didn't do the climb. So he goes on and on about how the only way to truly experience the Ribbon is to climb it, blah, blah, blah. Uh, OK. And this is coming from a dude in spandex and a 2" travel racing bike. I think we'll stick with burly bikes and shuttles.

All in all, it was an excellent day. That trail had just about everything - singletrack, technical drops, hard and easy climbs, a few portages, and some pucker-factor exposure.

But the fun wasn't over yet....

altagirl

Staff member
Nice! Sorry we missed you guys. Apparently the house needed some working on after about 10 weekends in a row of traveling for bike trips... (which just meant that we worked on the house for 2 hours or so before going riding around here...)

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got back into Fruita around dusk and cooked up a mean dinner. As it started getting dark, we got the campfire burning and wasted a couple of hours drinking beer and laughing at our dog's antics.

Maddie wanted to be closer to the fire :smile:
a67851d07a0f35dcb3203b969cf5f03a.jpg

Around 8:00, we got the bug to get the lights out and go on a night ride. I'd never done a night ride so I was giddy. The temps had dropped, so we got bundled up and headed out for one of my favorites: Joe's Ridge.

All geared up for night riding
c27aa52808ac92ec5ec46850631345e0.jpg

Joe's is a trail that was built along a narrow rib of rock. The riding is pretty non-technical with the exception of a few steep descents. Doing it in the dark was surreal - the exposure on both sides of the trail just drops off into blackness. I absolutely loved it.

Night riding on Joe's Ridge
5d23aaf3d92dca63f1ac4a885eec8e45.jpg

The next day was going-home day, so we decided to ride the Kokopelli trails on the way out of town. Yet another area of single track goodness, the Kokopelli is also a system of loops of varying degrees of difficulty. T and I wanted to ride her favorite, Horsethief Bench, while the boys wanted to do a very technical trail called Moore Fun.

Horsethief was unbelievable! Miles of singletrack with a bunch of fun technical rocky sections. All of this with the Colorado River below us. The guys said Moore Fun was wicked-hard, so it won't be on my list for a while.

Not a bad way to spend the morning
0e1a2f5ea203ed84443aee07bdfe214c.jpg

Mr Tradygirl on Moore Fun
c1bb9256f9246938d0e365fb163775ba.jpg

Back to the car, and heading for home. I almost don't care that it's not snowing!!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! Sorry we missed you guys. Apparently the house needed some working on after about 10 weekends in a row of traveling for bike trips... (which just meant that we worked on the house for 2 hours or so before going riding around here...)

I hear ya. I'm staying home from Moab this weekend because I'm so far behind in school. And I'm just exhausted!

We have GOT to get you down to Fruita. I know you would love it. Everything's a bit more pedally than Moab, but I know you're fine with that. We really want to get all you guys on the Ribbon. As a shuttle it's amazing, and there's some really technical stuff if you're willing to try it. There is a lot of bike carrying and a little bit of climbing, but overall it's a bomber.

We decided that Colorado bikers are WEIRD (no offense, NVG and you others). Everyone was in spandex and race gear, and riding weeny bikes. We saw several carbon frames at Kokopelli. WTF??? And apparently the way to ride the Ribbon is to go up all the fun stuff and ride down the dang highway. Weird, weird, weird. J and J were getting the stink-eye for wearing armor! It was classic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga