• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: for the backcountry divas -- tips on putting on/taking off skins?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My avy awareness course this weekend culminates in a tour on Sunday. I've never put on or taken off skins. I have this image in my head of being the girl stuck to my own skins. I know mechanically how they are put on/taken off when the adhesive isn't involved, but I don't know how to deal with them in the field. Does that make sense?

Mine are already cut, so no worries about that. Right now, they are sitting in their nifty BD bag with the meshy cheat sheet in between. At some point before Sunday, I need to put them on. And at some point during the day on Sunday, they'll come off. Hopefully the wind won't be howling....

What application, removal, folding, storage, etc. methods have worked for you and why? Many thanks for your insights.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey,

First: practice! At least once before you go out, even if it's just in your living room. Better to try in your backyard with gloves on though. Your instructor will probably also be used to helping people out, since for a lot of people their first tour is on an avy course.

I have BD skins as well, and they're not too hard to put on. I have my mesh sheet cut in half, and I fold each skin in half around the sheet instead of having one stuck to each side, so that I can deal with one at a time. I usually keep mine in my pack, but if it's really cold I'll shove them in my jacket, making me look like a snowman, to keep them warm. I prefer them in my pack - less bulk in front, and not in the way of getting to my beacon if I need to.

When taking them on or off:
try to keep them out of the snow or from sticking to anything fuzzy. Keep that glue clean!

To put them on:
Stick your ski tail-down in the snow. Take one skin off the mesh sheet (or, if you have them on separate sheets, you can take the mesh off as you stick the skin to the ski). Hook the tip loop over the tip of the ski, and align the skin with the ski edges. Then just press it onto the ski, working your way down, keeping it aligned. When you get low enough, flip the ski over (tip into the snow) and keep going. When you get to the tail, flip the camming piece over the tail. Run your hand down the skin to make sure it's stuck, and you're done! It'll take less time to get it aligned the more you practice.
https://vimeo.com/1722104

To take them off:
Take your skis off. Put them tip-down in the snow. Pull the tail piece back over to the base-side of the ski, and then just pull! Flip the ski over (tail down in the snow), and keep pulling. When the skin's off, either stick it to the mesh piece, or fold it in half (stuck to itself) and put it away.

It is possible to take skins off and leave your skis on, but I'd stick to the basics for now. I decided to try that on my first tour this year and my buddy was falling over laughing at me as I failed. :redface: I ended up taking my skis off. Haven't given up yet...I will watch those videos again and keep trying! Maybe in my living room...

I have actually found that my skins can be REALLY hard to take off in the field if i put them on in my living room, but have never had that issue when I've put them on outside. I've only put them on inside once, and they were super-stuck to my skis...naturally when I was trying to pull them off with my skis still on. Not sure if it was because of the temp difference or what. I'm not too worried...usually I'm going to be putting them on outside.

Hope that helps!
Have fun on your avy course!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
concur on the tips

I would concur with Andrea above.

Yet, I just went to taking off my skins with skis on (my first times were with experienced backcountry skiers so I learned quickly). It does make for a faster transition. Just see how comfortable you are.

Try it first on the flats first maybe before on a slope. I start with my uphill ski and cross it in front of me and lean on my polls on the uphill. I grab my tail and pull it half way then bring the ski back parallel with skin in hand and finish pulling forward while bringing the ski back at the same time. Then I do the exact same but with my downhill ski while making sure my uphill ski is dug into the hill so I don't slide down.

I would watch during your course how people take off their skins with skis on. Everyone has their trick especially with the type of binding they use. You will pick it up fast.

Another tip when putting on the skins. If it is a powder day, I try to pound down the snow with my skis before taking off a ski. I only take one ski off at a time. I also put the bottom tip of the ski on my boot to give my leverage in pulling down the skin. (I don't use the mesh --less to carry but can make it harder to pull the skins apart, especially when brand new).

Another tip I learned from a guide especially for windy days -- is I fold the skin in thirds. It makes it easier to pull apart when reattaching skins and less flapping in the wind.

Good luck and have fun and don't let the avy course scare you to death to ski in the backcountry. Use the knowledge as tools to help assess the risk and make safe judgements and to help you feel comfortable to speak up in a group if you feel unsafe.

Amy

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I managed the half fold today, with the skis on. Tomorrow will be in the field, so we'll see how that goes! I think I'll leave the ski on method for when I feel more comfortable with things, but it's good to know it exists!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have fun!

I spent 2 hours cutting my new skins for the Centurys tonight...first time I've cut skins, and it definitely wasn't as easy as the instructions and instruction video made it look! I don't think there's anything in my dining room they weren't stuck to!

First tour out on them tomorrow, hopefully! We're exploring a new place (for us) so taking snowshoes too in case it's not skiing-friendly at this time of year.

Have fun digging snow pits...that's what I'll be doing too!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THANK YOU so much for the wonderful tips! My skiing may have been atrocious, and I may have ganked my knee, but thanks to your tips, I was comfortable with this aspect of my training.

I put the skins on at the trailhead before we hopped onto snowmobiles for a 7 mile ride in, and I used Ringrat's method of sticking the tip into the snow/flipping to tails to get them off once it was time. I even figured out a way to stand with my ski free leg behind me, on my ski (go yoga!). One of my classmates tried to pull her skins off by holding a ski in her hand and pulling with the other, and it was pretty clear that having tip or tail anchored was the way to go.

It was a pretty discombobulating experience (so not familiar with where I'd put stuff in my pack, but very glad I decided not to use a hydration bladder/hose), and I tweaked my knee a little on the ride down, but I can't wait for my next time out!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
glad it went well

You will get faster and better the more you go and get your pack dialed in.

Just finished a three day hut trip in 3 Sisters and went out again for a day trip.My body is sore and tired but so happy to be backcountry skiing. The snow has been amazing.

I have faith in everyone learning to take their skins off with their skis on.

altagirl

Staff member
I put the skins on at the trailhead before we hopped onto snowmobiles for a 7 mile ride in...

This may just be my laziness, but I always put my skins on in the house before I leave - but obviously this only makes sense if you can travel with the skis inside the car or somehow protected so you're not getting salt/slush on your skins. It's generally easier to deal with them when the skins and your hands are warm and especially if you're starting in the early a.m., it's one less thing to do while you are freezing in the cold.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This may just be my laziness, but I always put my skins on in the house before I leave - but obviously this only makes sense if you can travel with the skis inside the car or somehow protected so you're not getting salt/slush on your skins. It's generally easier to deal with them when the skins and your hands are warm and especially if you're starting in the early a.m., it's one less thing to do while you are freezing in the cold.

I think that's the better tactic. Mine were still wet the night before, and I didn't want to wake up my friends sleeping in the same hotel room in the early morning. It turns out they were so excited for me that they woke up anyway to see me off. :smile:

ps, skied resort hardpack today; the knee seems to be better than I thought it was. Yay!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay for new backcountry skiers! So many little tips and tricks to learn as you get out more...

I concur with all of the above. I'm a big fan of stripping skins while keeping your skis on. It can be acrobatic, but it's saves a ton of time (and keeps you from post-holing when removing your skis). Especially if you use Dynafit bindings. Just be sure to lock your heel before starting the ski-on skin strip.

Regarding cheat sheets, adhesive, and skin folding I have my own opinion. I hate the cheat sheets, although they are a necessary evil for brand new skins especially if they are very wide. People may think I'm crazy, but I actually like to get my glue a little dirty so it's not so friggin sticky. In my experience, the tail clips will keep your skins in place even if the glue starts to suck, as long as you keep the clip tight. I actually LOVE old skins - they get more pliable and way easier to pull apart. It's totally up to you how pristine you want to keep your glue, but dealing with cheat sheets on a cold windy day is ridiculous. It's a lot easier to just be able to fold your skins on themselves and shove them in your bag. I just started using a pair of 120mm Ascension skins for my Drifters and I have to use the cheat sheets because of the ridiculously sticky glue - it's a total pain. I'm considering having my dog roll around on them to unstickify them a bit...

Another quick tip with sticky skins....as they get older and you ditch the cheat sheets, this is a great method to peel them apart without throwing out a shoulder or getting a hernia. Put the skin between your legs near the knee with the fold back and the tips facing forward. Bring your knees together and grab the tip with your left hand and the tail with your right (or vice versa). Be sure to grab the skin itself, not just the attachment - you can easily rip out the screws on the tip loop and rip the plastic on the tail clip if you pull to hard on them. Pull your knees apart while holding on to the skins with your hands on your thighs. Use your leg strength to rip the glue apart. After each pull, move the skin further foward to rip a new section.

And remember to turn your beacon off when you get back to the car. :smile: I can't tell you how many batteries I've burned through forgetting that little tidbit.

Oh, one more thing - skins and glue will behave quite differently in different conditions (temp, wetness, etc). Glue will get stickier, or maybe not sticky at all. Just be prepared for anything and always make sure your tail clips fit nice and tight just in case your glue totally fails! I actually like to carry an extra toe loop, tail clip and hardware on long days just in case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna