• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fitness Hall Of Shame

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this thread is for the flip-side of Wendy's thread :wink:

After almost 10 years of doing marathons and triathlons, I have not done a single one this summer. Right now if I got into a pool I'd probably drown, and I managed to hurt a muscle in my BUTT cheek while BOWLING of all things a few weeks ago.

My bike probably has 2 flat tires because the mountains here scare me and I have not ridden all summer. My inline skates have cobwebs on them and I doubt I could get into my wetsuit because I've gained at least 15 pounds since moving here in May.

But I do walk the dog (almost) every day.....that counts for something, right?? right?

I guess that sort of makes this a confession thread.... :confused:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now we're talking :laugh:

It is amazing how quickly one falls out of shape with movement and activity restrictions. Seriously, I knew I'd lose some fitness but didn't expect it to be that much or that fast, especially since I do tons of walking and pull ups and (since I can get wet finally) long, albeit one legged, swims. I get on the elliptical the other day (for the first time since tearing my ACL) and feel like I must've not gotten off my butt since February.

And as the generally super active type, it's such a weird sensation to gain weight while losing muscle. I mean, I'm always far from thin, I'm the type who puts on muscle bulk and I'm also curvy and like to keep some thickness on, but suddenly I swapped out a bunch of muscle and have some jiggly mass. Odd.

I'm banking on my body getting back to its balance once I'm back to my usual lifestyle for a while. In the mean time I'm strangely fascinated by the num/blob hybrid.

altagirl

Staff member
I hear ya Num.

I hate the heat of the summer, but was still at least fighting through it and riding a decent amount... until I hurt my leg at Sol Vista in a race about a month ago. And then I couldn't even walk right for 3 weeks. And got told to stay off it as much as possible and do nothing but stretch, ice, and elevate so it would heal before my Whistler trip. Which I did... but there's nothing like 3 full weeks of zero exercise (even walking) to make you feel like a slug.

I did then go to Whistler and ride my bike all day long for 7 days straight. Which probably would have helped more if we weren't drinking beer all night...

Anyway - I started doing speed skating a couple weeks ago and have been going to a personal trainer with a couple friends starting at the same time so hopefully I'll start feeling like less of a blob soon!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ditto

I feel the same way NUM. I had a bad back starting this spring and I was my own worst enemy. As soon as I felt even remotely better I would go out and get after it. Only to wind up back in pain again. I have finally had to slow down and just really start to hold myself back in terms of doing too much. I have had about 2.5 weeks of solid exercise ( longest span since April ) but still at a level even below what I would consider lazy for myself. It's frustrating but I can't keep overdoing it, it's sets me back farther in the long run.

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
yep, in the same boat. tore the acl last summer, had surgery last october, was okay about rehab for 4-5 months, but have been slacking ever since. this has got to be my longest stretch without running since i was about 8 years old...i played soccer in college and have always been really active. thankfully i've been mountain and road biking a lot lately, but i gotta get off the tush and get ready for this ski season!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna