• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Fitbit Tracker, anyone used this?

MissySki

Angel Diva
https://www.fitbit.com/flex

I've been seeing these arm bands that supposedly track your daytime activity (steps, calories, goals, etc) and your nighttime sleep quality etc..

This little band apparently tracks you 24/7 and wirelessly feeds your data to a smartphone and/or your computer. Looks pretty cool as I really like tracking heart rate and calories when I work out, but obviously a chest strap is not ideal for 24 hour per day use. I'm analytical and like looking at trends overtime with my workouts. Thought this would be fun on a regular basis and especially with skiing added in the mix.

I was wondering if anyone has used something like this. If so, what are your thoughts? IS it just a fancy pedometer with some extras?

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I have one and really love it. Yes, it's a fancy pedometer with extras, but the extras include a vibrating alarm clock (great if you want to wake up without bothering your spouse/SO). It doesn't track your heartrate, just steps, calories burned, and if you have the newest model, it's got the altimeter too. I just have the basic Flex model, and I do like keeping track of my calories that way and it seems to work out in terms of calorie math, etc.

I had a different model Fitbit previous to my Flex, but you had to attach it to your clothes and I constantly would remember that it was in my pile of laundry instead of on my body once I got to work. I managed to not put it in the washing machine, but I didn't wear it half the time. The wristband though is really nice - I wear it constantly and it looks pretty good too. You can even shower in it, so there's no need to take it on and off constantly.

altagirl

Staff member
I also like that it uploads your data to the website and if you want, you can share it with friends, which makes it a little competitive and motivating to get off your butt and get some extra steps in. ;)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have the new Jawbone Up 24? The feature that I think I'd loooooooooove that it has is it'll wake you up around the time you want to wake up, based on when you're sleeping the lightest (which I assume it determines by... movement?). Also inactivity alerts, so you can tell it "vibrate if I haven't gotten my lazy butt off my desk chair and walked around in the last 2 hours."

I've been wanting to buy one of these (either a fitbit or a jawbone) for months now but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Would also love to hear about any more experiences with them!

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have a Fitbit Flex, so I'll 2nd what Altagirl said. It's super easy to wear it around all the time. And it's surprisingly accurate. I did a half marathon and it had my distance pegged within 1/10th of a mile, which is pretty good for a pedometer!!
It's very easy to use and is a great motivator to get a little extra activity in!

I haven't used the Jawbone, but I liked my Fitbit enough to get my sister one for her birthday! :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend who wears a Jawbone, and I know she really likes it, but I can't tell you much more than that. (Moderately helpful info?)

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
My bro and his GF both have fitbits and love them, they're constantly competitive with them too with all the tracking/sharing etc. The bands look good too..bonus..

altagirl

Staff member
So does anyone else have a fitbit and want to be friends through the app? It's kind of fun and motivational. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Clearly, it's only measuring whether you're doing something or not, not the exertion. And I can sit and shake my arm vigorously and get it to count "steps", but personally, I've found that it's easier to just get up and walk around....

I think the thing for me is that as someone with a desk job - if I'm not trying, I can spend most of my day just sitting at my desk. And with all the reports on how unhealthy that is (even if you're exercising a lot daily before/after work), the fitbit tracking makes me get up and take walks during the day - sometimes real walks outdoors, sometimes an extra lap around the office between calls, but I'm moving a lot more during my day than I did before I paid attention to it. For me, it's not about measuring my cardio effort, it's about getting out of my chair more.

It's definitely not a measure of exertion. I mean, I paddle boarded for hours yesterday and am full-body sore today. It didn't give me a fraction of the steps of just going on a walk around the block but clearly it was a lot more exertion. Cycling is the same - though it seems to pick more up if you're mountain biking than if you're road biking, but you still get a fraction of the steps you would if you were on foot.

altagirl

Staff member
Heh, I just tested it out while eating - it doesn't pick up any steps if you're just moving your hand to your mouth in a normal fashion. I think you'd have to be stuffing your face like cookie monster... :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Ok, try popcorn and beer

We have a fitbit competition at work, so trust me, if I could get steps from eating popcorn, I'd be stoked. But it doesn't work. Unless, I'm literally like slapping myself in the face with each piece. Hah, I'd rather just get up and walk around...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I finally got a fitbit flex today! We went to a REI garage sale and DH comes up to me with a pink fitbit that he found, he knows I've talked about wanting one on and off for awhile now. It was 50% off since it was returned, so I couldn't argue with that. Got it setup and on my wrist now. Anyone still interested in connecting through the app? :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Anyone with a fitbit interested in doing a group challenge? They have work week challenges and weekend challenges. ... it's a good way to stay motivated.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Fitbit Surge a couple of weeks ago. I've been using it while skiing, but then I started having wrist pain. At first I thought it was from excessively aggressive pole planting, but that's not really a thing I do, and I eventually decided it was because my Surge, locked in place by all my layers, was blocking my wrist from its natural movements. Meh. Right now, skiing is pretty much all the activity I get ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna