• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First golf lesson tonight- what to expect?

B

B.E.G.

I am trying out new summer sports (aka ski replacement) and tonight is golf. Any golfing Divas out there? What should I expect?

Also eventually going to need golf club/set recommendations!

Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am trying out new summer sports (aka ski replacement) and tonight is golf. Any golfing Divas out there? What should I expect?

Also eventually going to need golf club/set recommendations!

Thanks!

Learning the proper grip is all important. If you start a blister then something is not right. Learned that the hard way the first time I tried to learn golf. Put me off for quite a while. The second time I found a good book first. Did a series of 3 lessons with the same instructor. That's when I decided golf was a fun sport.

B

B.E.G.

Did my first lesson! I learned about the different types of shots - putt, chip, pitch, etc. and got to practice. My instructor said my short swings are good and my analytical nature makes it easy to teach but I definitely need to work on my full swings. I decided to sign up for a three-lesson package so I have two more - maybe next weekend.

Um, golf clubs? New gear acquisition? :smile:

B

B.E.G.

Uh-oh is right!!

The golf pro gave me a sand wedge just to practice with on the range. But I want a full set if I keep up with this - and I'm pretty darn stubborn and determined once I really set my mind to things....

Which clubs do I need? Any recommendations for good ones suitable for a beginner that 1) aren't junk; and 2) won't break the bank? And I need to start looking for a cute bag....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Check out ewga.com (Exec Women's Gold Assoc). If you can join a chapter, it's a great way to learn. Especially because the outings give you a chance to see course management first hand. The premise behind the organization is that golf is a useful business skill, as well as fun. Just as Divas are wonderful about helping beginners, the good golfers in EWGA are truly interested in helping women learn to play golf well enough to enjoy the game at whatever level they feel comfortable.

B

B.E.G.

Thanks Marz! No chapter for MT, but no worries, as I'll be in CA in a couple months and I see a Bay Area chapter. I'm looking forward to joining and going on the outings!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Check out ewga.com (Exec Women's Gold Assoc). Just as Divas are wonderful about helping beginners, the good golfers in EWGA are truly interested in helping women learn to play golf well enough to enjoy the game at whatever level they feel comfortable.

Umm . . . meant Exec Women's Golf Assoc. :redface:

As for clubs, it can be easier to find a decent full set to start with but only use a few. Buying a putter is a separate "try-it-out" in the store activity. I ended up being happier with a junior putter.

You won't need a driver until your swing with a 3-wood is solid. Less distance straight down the fareway is much better than longer but in the woods . . . my husband's approach :wink:

whiff

Certified Ski Diva
Watch Costco online for clubs. Had a friend a few months ago take up the game & I she found a great deal on a set of Callaway Solitaire clubs online at costco. $399 for beginner set (not 14clubs - 9 clubs including bag & putter). Checked w/a friend still in the golf business and wholesale on that set is $360 so you won't beat the price. Used to be a golf professional & those clubs are a great deal quality wise as well. Some of the quality on the beginner sets leaves something to be desired. Nice thing about the Callaways is it is a set you could use for a while as you improve.

One thing to consider before you buy is your height. Down the road as you improve a proper club fitting is important, but for right now as long as you are about 5'5" or less a women's set should work great for you. If you are on the taller side you might want to consider a men's senior set. The senior set would have softer flex shafts than a std. men's set & better for you as a beginner.

Enjoy the game!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI! I took up golf 2 summers ago. Lessons like in skiing definitely help. Ck out videos too. Leddbetter forgot his first name.. made sense to me..
I bought clubs in the fall sales..we have 'dicks sporting goods' $400sets for $150 I think golf is the hardest easiest game you'll every play..to me like pool on a huge table. have fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
One thing to consider before you buy is your height. Down the road as you improve a proper club fitting is important, but for right now as long as you are about 5'5" or less a women's set should work great for you. If you are on the taller side you might want to consider a men's senior set. The senior set would have softer flex shafts than a std. men's set & better for you as a beginner.

Enjoy the game!

Good point about height. I started with a decent set of women's clubs, which were okay to learn with. But it helped to get them cut down to fit me better a year or two later since I'm only 5'0".

B

B.E.G.

Thanks guys! I still haven't made another lesson appt. yet - Easter weekend, plus horrible weather here the last couple days. The guy at the pro shop did say I was fine with regular women's clubs but I doubt I'll buy here. Like with the mountain bike, I may have to wait until I move to CA because of limited space to transport everything in my car!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga