• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fernie, BC, Jan 30-Jan 3

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
SO, DD, DS and I decided to try somewhere new over the New Year's holidays, but knew we wanted to drive somewhere and not fly. None of us had ever skied across the continental divide, so we decided to head for British Columbia, hoping that we would have lots of snow and freshies. We set off from Calgary on a beautiful day and had an amazing driving through the foothills and Crowsnest Pass to Fernie. We got there in a quick 3.5 hours with a stop over at Vito's in Crowsnest for some delicious pizza.

We stayed at a condo in town, on the lower floor of a family home (thanks to the skidivas on here, I was able to book it via alluradirect!) and it was great. We had 2 bedrooms, a full kitchen, a game room, tv room, netflix and....a HOT TUB! If anyone needs any recommendations for where to stay in Fernie and wants to stay in town, PM me and I can give you the contact info). The condo was 2 blocks from the historic downtown and a 5 minute drive from the ski resort, which was great for us. I do think next time we will try to stay on the hill, to have that 'ski-in, ski-out' experience, but I loved staying in town. The first night, we just explored the downtown and made a relaxing dinner at the condo.

We had three consecutive days of skiing, but it ended up being more like 2 and a half days. We first skied on Dec.31, and it was bitterly cold!!! -22 C, but with a windchill too. We got really dressed up for the day, and were ok for most of the day except when we were riding the lifts. The lifts at Fernie are slow! SLOW! If you go, get ready to spend at least 10 minutes on any of the lifts. We started out with some warm up runs on the lower mountain, which was great. We found the runs to be considerably more challenging than similarly rated runs here in Alberta. A Fernie blue is much more like a black at Sunshine Village or LL. But we loved the terrain- there are so many fun hidden surprises, amazing terrain and great features on all of the runs. For example, the first run of the day that we did ended in this green run called "Holiday." The end of Holiday is great because it has a really steep pitch, then you go under a series of cute little tunnels (the road runs up above), then ski a very very narrow (no more wide than the length of my skis) path that is also filled with big moguls coming in from the sides (where there are small chalets!) and end off under another tunnel that feeds you back to the base. The kids loved these little features and the variation in the terrain. There are also really fun runs and paths through the trees on the side of every run. The conditions were less than ideal - everything was skied out, snow starved and icy. These were probably the iciest conditions I've skied in...ever. Even icier than a spring day at Norquay.

In the afternoon, we went up to Lizard Bowl, and the snow was a bit better, but still really windswept and skied out. The ride up on the Boomerang lift got us really chilled and the kids were complaining that their fingers were numb. We got on a green cat track - Tower 6, I think - and then skied a bunch of blue runs off of it. This was a lot of fun! Much better snow in the bowls, but it was very very cold. We skied to the bottom, did one more turn on Holiday, and went inside for hot chocolate!

We were planning on getting to the hill early on New Year's Day - but we were all way too exhausted, so it turned into a half day of exploring the lower mountain and the terrain park. And more hot chocolate! It was still bitterly cold on Jan.1!

On our third day, we were planning on spending most of the day on the upper part of the mountain as it was finally warming up! -10C when we left the condo on the last morning. However, we got to the mountain and all of the lifts were closed except for 2 because of extreme wind! We did one lap on a lower mountain chair (Deer Chair) - not much exciting there, but spent some time in the trees with the kids. We then took the Timber chair up to the Siberia bowl, and skied down 'Falling Star', a blue run that is the longest one on the mountain. It was really windy when we got to the top, and there was a lot of blowing snow. The upper part of the run was great fun, with one really really steep and narrow pitch about half way down. However, we were unpleasantly surprised by fact that the run turned into a super long cat track at the end. The end of the run was painful. We took a break, and then headed to mid-mountain again (nothing had yet opened) and were treated to big wind and an icy ramp at the top of the Elk chair. Even there, it was pretty windblown, and we headed down some blues for a hot chocolate. For the last run of the day, we got up to the Lizard bowl again (the Boomerang lift opened at 2.30 or so), and did some blues back to the base.

Overall, we loved Fernie and would love to come back, even though we were limited as to where we could ski this time both by the cold and by the extreme wind closures. We were really disappointed by the conditions, and found ourselves longing for Sunshine's soft snow. But the variety of terrain and the mountains won't disappoint. This is a beautiful beautiful mountain! I think though that next time, we will hit it up in March! Fernie gets two thumbs up and left us smiling.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
0b2041ac0bf7afa4728be7dc0fc4c9fd.jpg

Sunset approaching Fernie, dec.30

fa5fa903bc644142b111790af09fdd5a.jpg

On our way to boomerang chair, dec.30

e7bf422ccc1c5db95972afc18afc4956.jpg

DS at the top of Siberia bowl, jan. 2

8460d28149cd0d327ccf8a22cbaaad1c.jpg

On the windy day, going to check out some trees off of the blue run at deer chair.

15455f16ddde564dd3ed143b00962e9b.jpg

Getting ready for the end of the day on jan 2!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
oops, i don't know why that last photo is rotated the way it is! moderators help?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see an obvious way to fix it... was it taken with a phone? In my experience, other programs are pretty good at reading the image data to tell which side is supposed to be the top of the image, while the forum software is not. When I get a few minutes later I'll pop it open in an image editor and save it with the top at the top.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yeah - it was taken with a phone and I uploaded it with TapaTalk. That's ok! Thanks!

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks beautiful! Lovely photos. So glad you had an awesome time, even with the freezing cold conditions. You are a glass half-full bunch for sure. :smile:

We were at Big White from 4-14 Dec and the conditions were horrendous towards the end of our stay. The whole mountain was iced over...never seen that before!! There were definitely some weird weather patterns in BC at the start of the season...though there has just been a huge dump (31cms in 12 hrs/36cm in 24 hrs) at BW....oh! how I wish I was there right now.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I've heard great things about Big White - I really look forward to skiing there one day. However, after our experience at Fernie, I think I'm going to stick to BC skiing from end of January until April. It really seems that the beginning of the season can be very hit or miss. I do hear the snow at BW is awesome though....

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great report and lovely pics! As they say...Life is like (a box of chocolates) a day of skiing...you never know what you're going to get. Still glad to see you enjoyed your family vacay.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Albertan ski girl, yes the snow quality is amazing at BW. January sees the base always well over a metre, up closer to 2 m usually. On the down side, there is usually a lot of fog in January, however last season it didn't snow for two weeks (unheard of!). The snow was still great, especially the groomers, and as a pay off we had continuous blue bird days...it was like the best 'ground hog day' you could imagine. That's the weather for you...unpredictable.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard great things about Big White - I really look forward to skiing there one day. However, after our experience at Fernie, I think I'm going to stick to BC skiing from end of January until April. It really seems that the beginning of the season can be very hit or miss. I do hear the snow at BW is awesome though....

I've lucked out pretty good in January. Big White is usually the best bet in the West, in my opinion.

Too bad you weren't there a little later- 2' in 36 hrs Jan 4th!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna