• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Family USA trip, from Aus !

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
:noidea:As mums, I need your help, Can you do too much skiing in 4 weeks with two boys.
We are on our way, book the tickets for Dec 2011 for 4 weeks with the kids, now to decide where, how long and how to get there.
So here it is, a brief outline of what we consider with two boys 6&4yrs. They are good kids when we travel so hoping they will be for this big trip.

We fly into LAX on the 25th December and Return home on the 24th January 2012 from LAX.

We have mapped out where we would like to go, and would like any feedback, Dates are rough but you can see what we are going for.
Kids will need ski lessons, though have skied in NZ at the Childcare...

Stay one night in LA 25th Dec.

Fly on 26th Dec to Bozema Montana
Drive/Bus it -Big Sky - Stay 26th DEC to 1st Jan
1st Jan drive/Bus it/Fly to Jackson Hole Stay 1st to 8th January. Prefer to drive to see Yellowstone.????
Fly on 8th/9th to Denver /Aspen
Stay Aspen to 12th Jan
Fly to Telluride /Montrose
Stay 12th to 22nd Telluride
Fly to LA, stay 22nd , 23rd (Disneyland and tourist stuff)
24th Fly back to Brisbane

We know we want to pack alot into this but we probably wont be back for a while. There are alot, Should we, Could we, etc... so any factors we may have missed out may help us decide.
Please offer any advice, as USA is new to us, we have skied Aust/NZ and Japan.

Your assistance is much appreciated. :noidea:

abc

Banned
Couple of random comments:

Yellowstone is closed to cars in winter. The road are not plowed. You can still see the park by snowmobile. But you can't drive through it from big sky to Jackson.

if it were me, I would drive from Aspen to Telluride. The flight is more hassle than the drive in both good weather or bad.

Of your resort choices. I fear Jackson might be a bit limited to the 4 year old. Also, if it were me, I'd spend more time in Aspen and less in Telluride. Both are nice resorts. But telluride isn't big enough to warrent 10 days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
With jet lag to contend with the first days, perhaps finding a bus/shuttle to Big Sky is better than trying to drive. Seems like you won't need a car at Big Sky. For jet lag, have you ever heard of No Jet-Lag? Invented by someone in New Zealand. I won't fly to China without it any more. Took my daughter at ages 4 and 6. Your boys will probably timeshift much faster than you, assuming you keep them awake in during the day. No Jet-Lag helps me in both directions.

There are day trips from Big Sky to Yellowstone that sound like fun.

Disneyland is a full day with kids. Lots to do, but you want to be able to take breaks every so often too. You may want to consider having 3 days in LA if you really want to see some other sights too.

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
With jet lag to contend with the first days, perhaps finding a bus/shuttle to Big Sky is better than trying to drive. Seems like you won't need a car at Big Sky. For jet lag, have you ever heard of No Jet-Lag? Invented by someone in New Zealand. I won't fly to China without it any more. Took my daughter at ages 4 and 6. Your boys will probably timeshift much faster than you, assuming you keep them awake in during the day. No Jet-Lag helps me in both directions.

There are day trips from Big Sky to Yellowstone that sound like fun.

Disneyland is a full day with kids. Lots to do, but you want to be able to take breaks every so often too. You may want to consider having 3 days in LA if you really want to see some other sights too.
Thanks for the No Jet-Lag tip, will try it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep in mind Disneyland is going to be a ZOO those days, too. So be prepared for that. It's wonderful you will be here for so long. Enjoy!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Yellowstone: you can also see it in winter by snow coach, or xc skiing. But you stay outside of the park and then go in for the tours, unless you snow coach into one of the lodges and stay there. Roads are closed, no cars. Keep in mind if you decide to drive Big Sky to Jackson, winter driving in Wyoming can be really, really bad and scary. Just a warning.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For Disneyland, be sure to make use of the Fastpass option for popular rides. Note that it's possible for one adult to get a Fastpass for the entire family while another adult is doing something else with the kids.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan/guest-services/fastpass/

Note that MLK Day is Jan. 16 in 2012 and most American schools are off that Monday because it's a federal holiday. Tends to be a busy weekend at all ski resorts. So Disneyland won't be especially busy Jan. 22-23 when you plan to be in LA.

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
Great advice and tips from you all thanks.

I think we will take some of the advice and cut out Montana /Jackson for this trip. Change to SLC and stay there for 10 days. Then Telluride, then Aspen/Denver and back.

Has anyone got any info on buses around SLC to the ski fields. Are there free Shuttle buses? Can you buy a pass for a week? A website would be great if you know of one.
Just contemplating staying on the mountains or staying in SLC/PC. Alta looks pretty cool as we don't love crowds, who does, and looks good for kids.
We have a bit of time to decide, but are just checking our options.
again thanks for advice so far.
:clap:

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
For Disneyland, be sure to make use of the Fastpass option for popular rides. Note that it's possible for one adult to get a Fastpass for the entire family while another adult is doing something else with the kids.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan/guest-services/fastpass/

Note that MLK Day is Jan. 16 in 2012 and most American schools are off that Monday because it's a federal holiday. Tends to be a busy weekend at all ski resorts. So Disneyland won't be especially busy Jan. 22-23 when you plan to be in LA.
Thanks for the tip on Disneyland, will look into it.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We had a similar length trip to the US and Canada just over a year ago (Jan/Feb).

I'd agree re staying a bit longer in LA, if you can wangle it -- there's loads to do and see there, and going out to Disneyland is definitely a very full day, specially with young kids. Ours were young (7) and older (late teens), so slightly different challenges involved, but still ... Anyway, we had 5 nights in LA, and every day was full, whether it was Disneyland, sightseeing, gallery-visiting, shopping, eating, or whatever. We had a week in San Francisco after that, doing more of the same. Not because we were not desperate to ski, but because we needed a balanced family holiday and grateful (as opposed to resentful) children at the end.

We actually pruned our skiing time back to just 14 days (sampling four reasonably close Canadian resorts), otherwise we'd have had a mutiny (and our funds wouldn't allow more skiing in any event!). I planned the trip so that we flew into Calgary, hired a car, and drove roughly towards Vancouver. No drive was longer than 4 hours or so (apart from the final one to Vancouver, which was 5 or 6, I think). The drives between resorts also provided a rest day for us and the kids.

Skiing-wise, we didn't pre-book lessons for the youngest, because we weren't sure she could last a whole day. As it happened, she couldn't, so we just booked her in for mornings most days, and took turns skiing (or sitting in the lodge) with her the rest of the time.

In hindsight, I think we got it about right, including the mix of skiing and more touristy activities. Our kids all enjoy skiing (and we want to keep it that way), but they like doing other things too, and I think they'd have felt short-changed if we'd concentrated too much on skiing at the expense of other stuff. It was their first (and for the older two, possibly their only) real overseas trip with us, and their first experience of a really big city.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Magna Tude beat me to my comment (and provided the voice of experience), which was that while your whole itinerary sounded wonderful, it also sounds like maybe too much skiing for kids that young!

My thoughts would have been to extend your time at Disneyland and build in plenty of either shorter ski days or maybe some non-ski days for the kiddies. Many people don't get as much skiing as you have planned in an entire season, much less condensed into a month.

My boys are 10 and 8, love skiing, have the skills and the stamina to be on skis for the entire day... and even on the ski vacation we took this year to Tremblant, they were ready for a 1/2 day in the condo by Thursday afternoon (we hit the slopes on a Monday).

But as long as you are willing to switch it up when the kids' behavior indicates (go see a movie, hit the pool, sleep in late, find something touristy to do), I think this sounds fabulous. I just would watch for signs of incipient meltdown if it turns out that too many full days of skiing in a row is getting to be too much for them... and then adjust accordingly.

Also - can I come?? Sounds like fun!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we will take some of the advice and cut out Montana /Jackson for this trip.

But you know what? I would save this part of the trip for when the boys are older. Yellowstone in the winter is supposed to be special, unless everyone I've spoken to about it is lying. :smile: The park is equipped for winter visitors; it's just not as "do-it-yourself" as it is in the summer. I think a kid would notice more being freezing cold than the spectacular beauty of the place.

It sounds like you've got a great holiday planned. Get trip insurance, and you should be good to go!

abc

Banned
Now that everyone brought up the issue of what 4 and 6 year olds like and dislike, I wonder about Aspen (and even Telluride, if to a lessor degree) as destinations. Both places are on the expensive side, partly for the exclusiveness and hard to get to factor. But I'm not sure it's relevant to little kids. You maybe paying premium for things your kids don't care or can't quite appreciate yet?

My first reaction to your landing in LA is, why not Mommoth and Tahoe?

Mammoth is a lot closer to LA. And you drive through the desert which itself can be a wonderful side trip.

Tahoe is only 3 hrs from Mommoth and there're other things to do in the area. Scenery is spectacular. Heavenly, Sqauw and Northstar all have lodging you can walk to lift.

That, instead of flying all over the continent and missing the sigths below.:wink:

Granted, not being a Mom of little kids, I don't know the suitability skiing-wise of Mammoth and the Tahoe resorts.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
But you know what? I would save this part of the trip for when the boys are older. Yellowstone in the winter is supposed to be special, unless everyone I've spoken to about it is lying. :smile: The park is equipped for winter visitors; it's just not as "do-it-yourself" as it is in the summer. I think a kid would notice more being freezing cold than the spectacular beauty of the place.

It sounds like you've got a great holiday planned. Get trip insurance, and you should be good to go!

If the family is accustomed to winter activities, I'd say "why not". So, Steph, I'm going to disagree with you here. :smile: My sons were quite used to winter stuff; we knew how to dress for it and have fun it, not just for skiing... so why not snowshoe or XC tour in Yellowstone? Granted, one might not choose an epic backcountry snow camping trip, but otherwise, if the family's into it, no reason not to!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the family is accustomed to winter activities, I'd say "why not". So, Steph, I'm going to disagree with you here. :smile: My sons were quite used to winter stuff; we knew how to dress for it and have fun it, not just for skiing... so why not snowshoe or XC tour in Yellowstone? Granted, one might not choose an epic backcountry snow camping trip, but otherwise, if the family's into it, no reason not to!

True, true - it all depends on the kids. It just seemed like she'd written this destination off entirely, and I think it should still be on the list for "some day."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great advice and tips from you all thanks.

I think we will take some of the advice and cut out Montana /Jackson for this trip. Change to SLC and stay there for 10 days. Then Telluride, then Aspen/Denver and back.

Has anyone got any info on buses around SLC to the ski fields. Are there free Shuttle buses? Can you buy a pass for a week? A website would be great if you know of one.

Just contemplating staying on the mountains or staying in SLC/PC. Alta looks pretty cool as we don't love crowds, who does, and looks good for kids.
We have a bit of time to decide, but are just checking our options.
again thanks for advice so far.
:clap:

:noidea:As mums, I need your help, Can you do too much skiing in 4 weeks with two boys.
We are on our way, book the tickets for Dec 2011 for 4 weeks with the kids, now to decide where, how long and how to get there.
So here it is, a brief outline of what we consider with two boys 6&4yrs. They are good kids when we travel so hoping they will be for this big trip.

We fly into LAX on the 25th December and Return home on the 24th January 2012 from LAX.

We have mapped out where we would like to go, and would like any feedback, Dates are rough but you can see what we are going for.
Kids will need ski lessons, though have skied in NZ at the Childcare...

Stay one night in LA 25th Dec.

Fly to LA, stay 22nd , 23rd (Disneyland and tourist stuff)
24th Fly back to Brisbane

Please offer any advice, as USA is new to us, we have skied Aust/NZ and Japan.

Your assistance is much appreciated. :noidea:

Lots of options for SLC area. Remember there are 8 resorts within 45 min drive from the city center, or 30 min if staying south of the downtown area. Although UTA city transit is possible, with two little ones you may find renting a car easier. 2WD is relatively cheap. Can connect to a bus to Alta/Snowbird or Brighton/Solitude if driving in those canyons happens to be an issue on a particular day. Discounted day tickets are easily available from assorted places if you have a car.

For general info:
https://www.skiutah.com

The Superpass is a good way for adults to ski at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and/or Brighton. Kid prices are not discounted but pretty resaonable any way.
https://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/

UTA
https://www.rideuta.com/

For 10 days in SLC, after a long flight and a night in LA, here is what my suggestion is with younger kids. Many other ways would be just as good, just food for thought.

Day 1: arrival from LA, settle into a lodge at Alta
Days 2-4: Ski and relax at Alta, get used to the altitude
Day 5: rent a car, move to condo/house in SLC
Day 6: visit non-ski stuff
Day 7-9: ski and visit in SLC area (Brighton, Solitude, Snowbasin)
Day 10: departure

My favorite lodge is Alta Lodge. The important thing is to stay at one that provide breakfast and dinner. Alta Lodge has a kid program that my daughter loves, which covers dinner and play time afterwards while parents eat leisurely in the diningroom. No TV in rooms.

Snowbasin and Solitude are less crowded on weekends. Brighton has childcare with or without ski lessons. dloveski knows Brighton and Solitude well. They are local ski resorts, so fewer tourists and cheaper prices.

Unless you want private lessons, no need to pre-book for ski school. In fact, Alta does not accept reservations. My daughter has liked every instructor she has had since we started making an annual trip during late season. Can mix ski lessons with daycare. Note that Alta is for skiers only. Also has free skiing on one lower lift 3:00-4:30 (mostly green, with a little blue).

Staying in a condo or house in SLC can be economical. A little house is nice because you park right in front and have a yard for the boys to run around in. The one I found on VRBO for my week in SLC in Feb would be great for a family.

Plenty of families like Park City too. More on slope lodging options.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just another thought -- people are always recommending family oriented resorts if you have young kids, but as mentioned above, you shouldn't necessarily write off harder-core places like Jackson Hole. We took our kids to Revelstoke for four days, mainly because we really wanted to ski there ourselves, and it worked out well for the kids as well.

Why? Well, because there were hardly any kids there (first week in Feb) our daughter had four mornings of virtually private lessons with the same instructor, and the same two brothers (from Australia), and by the end of the week they had become a tight little unit and were ripping all over the mountain.

And, although we were staying off the mountain (but only 5 mins drive away), there was a free shuttle that left from the gas station next to our motel. So, our late-sleeping teens could be left in peace in the morning rush to get up the hill, and take the shuttle at their leisure. This left them free to make friends on the bus, and by the time they got to the mountain, they had skiing mates for the day.

Christy

Angel Diva
Just contemplating staying on the mountains or staying in SLC/PC.

Park City definitely. It's much nicer than SLC, there's easy and free buses, the mountains are right there, etc. You can still drive to Alta from PC, or you can split your time between PC and one of the base lodges at Alta or Snowbird.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live dead in the middle between Aspen and Telluride and abc is dead on with her advice not to fly between the two. Actually, you might look into flying in and out of the Grand Junction airport. You'll still have to connect through Denver, but you won't have to be shuttling back and forth between Denver. From Grand Junction, you can rent a car and drive 2 hours to Aspen. Telluride is 2.5 hours from Grand Junction. Driving between the 2 you'll probably choose to take Interstate 70 back through Grand Junction.

abc is also right that Telluride doesn't warrant 10 days. Aspen/Snowmass, with its four mountains, deserves a longer stay than you have planned however.

You will have such an amazing time! Have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga