• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Family ski trip with 2 young kids

Jax

Diva in Training
Hi there
I would also love some tips....
We are planning a trip with our 2 young kids, one will be 4 & able to go to ski school, the other will only be 2 1/2 so will need childcare. It seems from the quick bit of research I have done so far that not all resorts offer the childcare part. We are travelling from Australia so we can get to just about anywhere, though I'm tending towards CO or CA. We have skied in the US quite a bit & our favourites are Aspen/Snowmass, Telluride, Jackson Hole & Vail/BC. I have heard that Northstar is great for young families, but that the skiing may be a bit "ho hum" for us??

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could be wrong, but I think anyplace you would consider a destination resort would have both the ski school and the daycare! Littler places might not it's true, but anyplace large enough to have on-mountain lodging or a resort feel is probably going to have childcare. If you are looking online, try under Kids Programs, Guest Services/Amenities and maybe see if the Ski School page has a link. Certainly I'd be shocked if the ones you listed didn't have it! Someone posed this same question under trips and resorts and I think Steamboat was a popular response...

I ski in the East, which I'm not sure is on your radar, so I can't help you in the West. But if you decide to look East, Sugarbush has a terrific daycare!

Good luck with your plans... it will be a terrific vacation, I am sure!

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They don't all have the childcare. Squaw Valley does not, and ski school starts at 3, although their Snow Cubs program has a lot of playtime mixed in. I really like Big Sky's program - excellent day care and an excellent ski school, plus fabulous skiing for mom and dad. I also like the fact that there are not a lot of inexperienced skiers/boarders at Big Sky to potentially take out the wee ones. At many of the more crowded resorts we've had our kids get wiped out by inept skiers or boarders, sometimes even while waiting in the lift line! Not so at Big Sky.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I wish I had seen this before now-- hope you're still checking in. :smile:

We live in Colorado with our two boys (ages 3 and 6) and are big fans of childcare/ski school at both Snowmass (gorgeous facility built only a few years ago) and Steamboat. We have also used Vail a lot, and while they are perfectly fine for kids (and ours have had a good time, particularly in childcare), they just aren't as well set up/new and shiny. What I will say in Vail's favor, though, is that they offer Micro Mice for kids over 20 months, and that allows them to go out and play a bit on skis 1-2x per childcare day. That's a pretty cool feature for only a small add-on in price.

What's to like about Steamboat:
Ski school is very friendly & upbeat, and they have a great, separate school section for kids kindergarten and younger. That means they have their own lunch area and play area (when they get too tired and need an inside break), so you don't have to worry about them wandering around the cafeterias on the mountain. I found them to be very good about getting kids up to nice learning areas on the mountain as soon as they are ready (instead of just inside the fences at the bottom) and all of the teachers we had contact with were SUPER upbeat and enthusiastic, which is nice for the little ones. They seem to attract a crowd that actually likes teaching children, instead of people who feel like it's punishment. Also, for your younger one, they have a program for the little guys to go our for 1-2 hours with a private instructor, and it's awesome. I am blanking on what it's called right now, but it's worth looking into. A little pricey, but they set the childcare kids up with all the equipment and just teach them to have fun playing on skis. Really fun if you want them to try a tiny bite of instruction when they are small. Only downside at Steamboat is carting all the piles of kid stuff to the hill, as it's up and down stairs, etc. (older village design), and all the way through the ski village. We rented from a group that offered storage in the village as part of the rental (plus, we were within easy walking distance) and that made it much more pleasant. Also, the other *down* note is that much of the skiing isn't terribly steep, and it might get dull for the grownups after a few days if there isn't new snow. If there is new snow, however, the more difficult tree skiing is LOADS of fun. Laps of smiles all day long.

What's to like at Snowmass
The ski school and childcare are gorgeous and shiny and new(ish). They have a good caregiver/teacher-to-child ratio. They let you leave the whole ski bag (with layer changes, etc.) in a cubby for your ski school child, so he/she can actually have clothing changes, instead of just dropoff in one outfit that might be all wrong. The facility has really fun stuff for when they come inside for breaks-- foosball tables and the like, so they're not just sitting there when they come inside. It's built in the new village below the old Snowmass Mall, so they make use of the small cabriolet-style gondola up to the Mall once kids progress past the magic carpet (a lift ride without the trouble of loading a class full of wee people onto an actual lift) and there is also easy access to the other gondola servicing the base, which goes up to another learning area. Makes getting small children up onto the mountain a piece of cake. The childcare is very well staffed and clean and cheerful-- no daycare dungeon here. The major downside is the parking/traffic situation for drop-off if you don't take the bus, although I think that's gotten a little better with the new underground garage. Also, if you want to ski Highlands, you have to contend with drop-off at Snowmass, driving over to Highlands, and making sure you get back in time. However. . . on days when the kids need the day off & you still want adventures, there is an excellent babysitting service in town-- https://www.amomsdayoff.com/ -- and you can have someone come and play with the kids for a few hours while you ski. We have had excellent luck with this sitter service, and we are not big sitter users. Oh, and as you know, terrain around Aspen/Snowmass is awesome.

Here are some links to trip reports from recent family trips/weekends in Colorado, if you want a better sense of what some of the areas are like with small children:

Winter Park, March 2010
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9675

Steamboat, March 2010
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9468

Couple days in Vail, February 2010
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9332

Aspen/Snowmass & Vail, March 2008
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3550&highlight=snowmass

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We LOVE Steamboat. We love the town, the ski school, the mountain, everything. :smile: Our kids started there when they were 3 and then the youngest when he was 4.

We also love Copper's ski school as well.

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
Snowmass :smile:

My children's first experience out west skiing was at Snowmass. I was very concerned over my youngest who had turned 3 just before the trip. Our plan was to enroll her in the daycare/ski school for 1/2 of our trip, and ski with her at her pace the rest of the trip. HOWEVER, she LOVED the ski school. It was perfect for her age. The instructors would take the kids out for an hour to an hour an a half in the morning, and again in the afternoon. She happened to have more experience than the other kids, so typically, one of the ski instructors would take her out alone! She had so much fun. We still wanted "our time" with her, so we would simply pick her up about an hour before the lifts closed....allowing us to ski with her also. My other kids were a little older, we put them in ski school every other day, skiing with us on the opposite days....that worked well also. GREAT experience.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, Have you considered Utah? I am in Colorado, the mother of 2 boys and an avid skier. I am in love with Utah -- especially the skiing in either Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta, Snowbird) or Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton, Solitude). There is nothing ho-hum about the skiing. Back to Utah, it is a different experience. Fewer people, fewer base amenities, but if you are serious skiers who enjoy lots of snow it just might be the ticket for your holiday! Enjoy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga