• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Entire management staff at Gunstock resigns.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is truly extraordinary. Yesterday the entire management team at Gunstock (NH) resigned. Here's what's going on, according to NH Public Radio:

Gunstock Mountain Resort's management team abruptly resigned Wednesday night, a move that follows months of acrimony and what top staff have called political meddling over the direction of the county-owned mountain.

For much of the past year, some members of the board that oversees the resort, backed by a handful of libertarian-leaning Belknap county lawmakers, have said the resort, which is coming off two years of strong financial performance and has plans to expand, needs to be on a tighter leash.

The mountain’s defenders - including many local residents who said Gunstock’s offerings had improved markedly over the years - said the push for reform was politically motivated and driven by misinformation.

In resigning Wednesday, Gunstock’s management team said the feuding and criticism had taken a final toll.

"We couldn't take it any more; we couldn't take the environment,” said Tom Day, who quit as Gunstock president Wednesday. “They had meetings to tell me that I needed to make sure to support them, and that they were in charge and I'm not. It's just crazy.”

Gov. Chris Sununu, who before becoming governor was CEO of the Waterville Valley Resort, which his family owns, was quick to agree.

“What has been happening over the last year surrounding the Gunstock Area Commission’s inability and unwillingness to work collaboratively with the management team at Gunstock is deeply concerning,” Sununu wrote in an open letter Thursday.

Sununu also took particular aim at a handful of Belknap County Republican lawmakers — Reps. Mike Sylvia, Norm Silber, and Gregg Hough – and the commission members they appointed to oversee Gunstock.

“These individuals have made bad decisions, and until they are removed from their positions and replaced with good people who recognize the wonderful asset that Gunstock is, the County will continue to suffer,” Sununu wrote.

In a statement, Silber, who represents Gilford in the New Hampshire House, dismissed the resignations as “a well-orchestrated and well-financed campaign of disinformation” to divert attention from forthcoming audit reports he predicted would be “very damaging to the reputations of the resigned commissioner, many of the resigned former staff and the governor himself.”

“It is truly unfortunate that the governor failed to have any contact with the Chair of the Gunstock Area Commission, the Chair of the Belknap County Delegation or the other two State Representatives he called out before inserting himself into a controversy about which he actually knows very little,” Silber continued.

The current leader of the Gunstock commission, Peter Ness, said his focus is on trying to figure out how to keep operations at the resort up and running with no management team in place.

“We were faced with an unprecedented act of management, and we are trying to figure out how operations for the mountain move forward today,” Ness said during a brief interview Thursday. “I’m in meetings all day to try to get that done.”

According to the Gunstock Mountain Resort Facebook page, the resort’s Gunstock Adventure Park, a popular summer attraction, is closed until further notice.

“Please know that we are just as bummed as you are and hope to see you soon,” the post reads.

(Original story by the Laconia Daily Sun follows below. NHPR is republishing it in partnership with the Granite State News Collaborative.)

The mass resignations came at the beginning of Wednesday night's Gunstock Area Commission meeting.

As Commissioner Ness made opening remarks, Gunstock General Manager Tom Day stood up and asked why he and the rest of the management team had been relegated to sitting in the audience, rather than having their own table as had been customary at previous meetings.

“We just did that to be more consistent with the way other delegations and committees work,” Ness explained.

To Day and apparently the rest of the Gunstock management team, this was a bridge too far.

“I'd like to tender my resignation and give my two weeks notice. I'll be happy to facilitate whatever I can do,” Day said. “It seems there's a lot more control that wants to come from your side of it so I feel that my role here is diminished.”

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Liftblog article about Gunstock includes an update. Doesn't feel like there will be any happy resolution.

July 21, 2021

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the things I like best about my husband is his ability to solve problems. He ignores the arguments and infighting and gets to the root of the problem. He solves the problem and the other arguments go away.

I’ve read of the resignations, I’ve read ‘political’. I’ve read about some expansion plans. I’ve read Gunstock is making profit and paying taxes.

I infer that the elected officials are trying to supersede the resort management authority.

What is the root of the problem? What does one side want that the other doesn’t?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw the paywalled article, too, but no real information. ‍♀️

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember reading something about the issue at Gunstock a month or so ago before all of this blew up. Some of the commissioners want to privatize Gunstock, saying that Sunapee got it right. (Of course there are a lot of Sunapee skiers that will disagree, now that Vail is in charge. Myself included.) I couldn't find that article, but here's another one that talks a little more about the back story: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/07/22/drama-gunstock-management-resigned/

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have seen it blow up all over the ski blogs and it turns into a political bashing. It bores me. Free Staters, Extremists, even invoking the name of Soros. That's why I hoped that the women of SkiDiva would be able to discuss the issue on a factual level and leave the political rhetoric to social media.

I did find an article where the new board would like to lease the land to an entity that would run it, in essence 'privatizing.' It's county-run now, as I understand it. Bringing in an entity to lease the land, expand the ski area, and develop the area would bring in more money to the county coffers.

Maybe that's not what the residents want. Maybe it's what the county needs to compete with the major ski resorts in the NE.

It is very hard to get to the bottom of the discussion with all of the shouting.

Here's an article, written by Norm Silber, a member of the board. Sorry, I couldn't shorten the URL.

https://granitegrok.com/blog/2021/1...bEEYEut3553uVpf3NOJntbgMJ4pQd8drr9g&fs=e&s=cl

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not skied Gunstock yet. But I used to love skiing at Sunapee. My skiing experience at Sunapee has not been as nice post privatization as it was pre privatization. They used to have a reciprocal agreement for discounted tickets with my home hill. They used to have special deals for locals. They used to have an amazing women's day every March with ski demos, raffles, clinics, etc. I tried getting in touch with Sunapee this year to ask if the women's day was going to start up again now that covid restrictions had been lifted. I got a canned reply to refer to Vail's faqs. No real answer. If privatization means Gunstock stays relatively indy, I'm fine with that. If privatization means it becomes yet another hill in a mega pass portfolio, the way Sunapee did, not so much.

I don't think smaller ski areas like Gunstock need to compete with major ski resorts. It is a different product, with a different client base. If they expand and develop too much, that would put them in closer competition with the big boys. Which to me sounds riskier.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the guiding principle that's moving the committee to take the ski area away from the community and privatize it has to do with reducing government involvement in things in favor of private enterprise. I've gotten this from my reading about the people involved.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Hard to keep politics out of it. The random and unwarranted reference to Soros was by Norm Silber, the man whose statement you linked above. To anyone who doesn’t believe in the idea that there’s a shadowy Jewish cabal controlling the world’s purse strings, making an allegation that Soros is underhandedly controlling public sentiment is widely acknowledged as a dog whistle for anti-Semitism. I don’t think anyone on this site believes that being supportive of anti-Semitism is remotely appropriate.

As for what’s happening with the ski area, it appears there’s a backlash from the local community because the locals view it as relatively newly-arrived out of staters, attracted by New Hampshire’s generally laissez faire and fiercely independent culture, have arrived and pushed for privatization beyond the community’s general appetite for it. My takeaway is that they are not just advocating for private property rights but delivering public property to private owners at the public’s expense. I think people are mistrustful of the claim that a private operator will deliver a similar quality product and generate more money for the local economy. Instead, there is a belief that the private operator will simply profit take and degrade the experience at the ski area, at the expense of people who have known and loved it for years. Many comparisons to Vail resorts have been made.

Feel free to disagree on my hot take but there’s just no keeping politics out of it — this is local politics at its most passionate and it happens to reflect issues on the national level.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hard to keep politics out of it. The random and unwarranted reference to Soros was by Norm Silber, the man whose statement you linked above. To anyone who doesn’t believe in the idea that there’s a shadowy Jewish cabal controlling the world’s purse strings, making an allegation that Soros is underhandedly controlling public sentiment is widely acknowledged as a dog whistle for anti-Semitism. I don’t think anyone on this site believes that being supportive of anti-Semitism is remotely appropriate.

As for what’s happening with the ski area, it appears there’s a backlash from the local community because the locals view it as relatively newly-arrived out of staters, attracted by New Hampshire’s generally laissez faire and fiercely independent culture, have arrived and pushed for privatization beyond the community’s general appetite for it. My takeaway is that they are not just advocating for private property rights but delivering public property to private owners at the public’s expense. I think people are mistrustful of the claim that a private operator will deliver a similar quality product and generate more money for the local economy. Instead, there is a belief that the private operator will simply profit take and degrade the experience at the ski area, at the expense of people who have known and loved it for years. Many comparisons to Vail resorts have been made.

Feel free to disagree on my hot take but there’s just no keeping politics out of it — this is local politics at its most passionate and it happens to reflect issues on the national level.
SO well stated.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Excellent take, and you're right; it's 100% political and you need to wade into the politics to understand everyone's motives.

I would add only add that it's not just that the people behind the push for privatization are newly-arrived and have some moderately different political views. The group that's trying to privatize Gunstock are called Freestaters, and they moved to New Hampshire very specifically to try to turn it into a state governed by a radical libertarian ideology (they would also like NH to secede from the US). Freestaters infamously tried to slash the school budget of Croyden, NH in half this spring by taking advantage of low town-meeting turnout. Consistent with their political ideology, they don't believe in public education and don't want to pay for other peoples' children to attend school. There's been a lot of press coverage of the Croydon thing if anyone wants to read further.

The privatizers on the Gunstock commission didn't land there by accident. They were put in place by some Freestaters in the state legislature, and they are trying to push out anyone who disagrees with them.

It's been a wake-up call for local communities. Town meeting voting has been re-considered in many places in New England of late, because as charming as the idea is, not everyone can take half a day off work to vote, and that's starting to feel undemocratic. And when there's low turnout, people can pull a lot of shady moves if they're so inclined (I covered a story last spring about a guy who was running unopposed in a sleepily uneventful selectboard election in a small Vermont town. He was essentially ambushed at a low-attendance town meeting by one family in town who didn't like him. The family gathered a posse to attend the meeting and ran one of their family members against him at the last minute, unannounced. I wouldn't be surprised to see more towns going to absentee voting, or more traditional polling place style voting rather than the yays and nays of in-person meetings.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I jumped in the middle of a political discussion that I was totally ignorant about. Really sorry.

My questions are
Is Gunstock in trouble financially?

Would Gunstock be a better ski mountain if it had the resources to expand?

Would the county benefit (more services, more tax base, etc) if Gunstock was leased to a private company?

What are the upsides for Gunstock being leased?

…or is this so politically driven that a real discussion can never happen? Because I really don’t care to have a political discussion.

I had no idea that the publication I quoted was right wing. I was posting for content only. I’m really sorry that some of you were offended. Not my intent.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I jumped in the middle of a political discussion that I was totally ignorant about. Really sorry.

Aw, I don’t think you came into the discussion with ill intent. Maybe just not informed about the motivations of the writer of that opinion piece. It’s obviously a topic people feel passionately about.

I will try to answer the questions I have some inkling about:
Is Gunstock in trouble financially?.
Gunstock was profitable and was consistently profitable under the now-former management team.

Would the county benefit (more services, more tax base, etc) if Gunstock was leased to a private company?

What are the upsides for Gunstock being leased?
The commissioners have not made a case persuasive to the community that there would be a benefit to the county if it were leased to a private operator. The commissioners claim that a private operator would be able to generate more money from the operation of the resort. The concern is that the operations would change to remove focus on community-oriented programs. In other words, yes, maybe Gunstock would be able to make more money — but at the expense of accessibility and service to the local community, things that aren’t as easily measured in dollars.

Given the political background of the commissioners and the experiences of nearby ski resorts purchased by Vail in 2019, they have an extreme uphill battle with establishing that this would be of benefit to the county. I would guess that the commissioners’ political background has provoked a more fierce backlash than your normal run of the mill Republican advocacy for privatization. But leaving aside how far right these guys are, the reality is that this proposal would have never been welcomed by the community given Gunstock’s profitability and the experiences of the nearby resorts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Gunstock has just over 200 acres, with 1300 ft vertical. That's a decent size ski area for the region. Gunstock has a Nordic Center. For comparison, Wachusett (an hour from Boston) has just over 100 acres and 1000 ft vertical. Adding terrain and/or activities to Gunstock is not going draw people away from other New England resorts. What Gunstock is known for in the Boston area is night skiing and night race leagues. It's about a 2 hour drive from downtown Boston.

While Gunstock is a 4-season resort with lodging and a campground, it's not a "destination resort" in the sense that Ikon/Epic resorts are in New England. The target market for people staying overnight are local families looking for fun at a reasonable price. Those who are interested in owning a house/condo or doing a seasonal rental are more likely to head from Boston to Sunday River, Waterville Valley, Loon, or Bretton Woods.

Gunstock dates from the 1930s. I stopped by Gunstock during a fall drive when I was in the area. As I remember, I had the impression that the base set up made sense.

NH is also the home of Mt. Sunapee. One difference between Gunstock and Sunapee is that Sunapee doesn't have slopeside lodging. There are a few motels/lodges close by but pretty limited number of beds. Gunstock land is owned by a NH county. Sunapee land is owned by the State of NH. Vail Resorts is the operator for Sunapee activities, both winter and summer.

Last edited:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wondering because of the old adage. Private is better than public. USPS vs FedEx. Private Schools better than public. (Although my public high school consistently ranks in the top 5 in Ohio, top 100 in US). Private pools are better than public. Private housing vs public housing. Etc.

Gore and Whiteface are NYS owned, but run by ORDA. It's an "Authority" which has a very specific legal meaning in NY from a management/financial standpoint. The resorts have their own old-school vibe. The lodges are minimal.

The land is owned by NY. The Adirondacks have laws regarding development and the environment, There are no condos or restaurants or McMansions. Those who love the Adirondacks, as I do, would never want a sprawling resort in the mountains.

I wondered if Gunstock has the same restrictions. If privatization would provide advantages to skiers, like more snowmaking or services to skiers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna