• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Encouraging Women Back to Skiing

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
There are so many times when my skiing comes up and the person, usually a woman responds with a variation of, "Oh, I tried skiing once. I fell and that was it for me." My typical response is either "But falling on snow usually doesn't hurt because it's soft," or "But skiis have changed so much since then." Usually the fall occurred 10 or more years ago. My responses don't seem to do much to encourage the person. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything that seems to ignite a spark.

Jilly

Staff member
30 some years ago, I was living near our nations capital. There are 4 areas that have night skiing nearby. One area started a "ladies night". I thought what a great idea!! When I moved home and started teaching at the local bump, they decided that they needed to revamp the snow school offering. I suggested "Ladies Night!". It was the second largest class next to Saturday morning. One of the good things was it was the same night as a race practice. Mom had to drive the kids out to the practice, so she might as well ski. This morphed into a ski class and snacks at the end of the night.

So first the person needs opportunity. Then they need a push. Quite often it's the kids, or could be "you". Guide them through the rental and lift ticket stuff. Make them take a lesson. Quite often that "fall" was an ex-boyfriend telling to go down hill. Meet up after the lesson. If it was successful, after a rest, ski some greens runs with them.

If it's a weekend get-a-way, add in something they like...spa, snowshoe, etc..

Show them the JOY!!

Amie H

Angel Diva
There are so many times when my skiing comes up and the person, usually a woman responds with a variation of, "Oh, I tried skiing once. I fell and that was it for me." My typical response is either "But falling on snow usually doesn't hurt because it's soft," or "But skiis have changed so much since then." Usually the fall occurred 10 or more years ago. My responses don't seem to do much to encourage the person. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything that seems to ignite a spark.
A saleswoman at a store said something just like this to me just this week, and sure enough, per @Jilly 's comment, it was her brother who took her down a run too difficult for her.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first time ever on skis I went with my husband and a big group of friends of his to Camelback - I was given no instruction whatsoever before they took me up to icy blue runs. I fell hard so many times that I was literally black and blue at the end of the day. I *never* would have tried skiing ever again after that experience if I hadn't happened to move to a western ski town many years later (I didn't even realize it was a ski town when we moved here) that at least had softer snow to fall into.

Do the women that you are talking to know that taking a beginner lesson rather than trying to keep up with more advanced friends is an option? Have you probed at all to find out if it wasn't just a fall but them being ridiculously over-terrained that put them off of skiing?

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
My first time ever on skis I went with my husband and a big group of friends of his to Camelback - I was given no instruction whatsoever before they took me up to icy blue runs. I fell hard so many times that I was literally black and blue at the end of the day. I *never* would have tried skiing ever again after that experience if I hadn't happened to move to a western ski town many years later (I didn't even realize it was a ski town when we moved here) that at least had softer snow to fall into.

Do the women that you are talking to know that taking a beginner lesson rather than trying to keep up with more advanced friends is an option? Have you probed at all to find out if it wasn't just a fall but them being ridiculously over-terrained that put them off of skiing?
Actually, the conversations take place far from the ski hill. But, questioning them more about their experiences with lessons, over-terrained runs, etc. might be a direction. I do also talk up lessons.

altagirl

Staff member
I agree that I think the key is to make sure people know the value of starting with lessons and appropriate clothing and how to deal with friends/boyfriends/husbands who want to drag you down advanced slopes, etc... Share your joy, maybe it's contagious!

That said, one thing that comes to mine is that some people are NOT willing to risk falling. Sometimes that's somewhat irrational, and sometimes it's not. My massage therapist was dating a mountain biker and he kept dragging her out mountain biking. She is a single mom with a job where she CANNOT be injured and earn any money. She gave up the biking pretty fast, but that's not an unjustified fear. Sure, you can take it easy, take lessons, etc. but if you literally cannot afford to be injured? Maybe sticking to things with less speed and risk of collisions, etc. is a safer bet. Regardless of statistics and all the other ways you can get injured doing everyday things, if all you can think about when skiing or riding is that if you fall and get hurt you could be ruining your life and your child's life and wind up homeless, etc.... that's not going to be fun. Injuries aren't fun for anyone, but if you work at a desk, the same injury can be an inconvenience vs. a disaster if you're self employed and need full function to work.

LOL, I do think sometimes we get so caught up in the activities we love we can't stop trying to sell everyone on it. I mean, it's like the running jokes about crossfit or vegans or pickleball or whatever - I LOVE THIS THING YOU MUST DO IT!!!! WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT???? It's lovely to share your joy about your favorite things, ask the right questions to be helpful if they are simply avoiding it because of an obstacle that's easily overcome..... and then let it go. It's never going to be for everyone.

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It's lovely to share your joy about your favorite things, ask the right questions to be helpful if they are simply avoiding it because of an obstacle that's easily overcome..... and then let it go. It's never going to be for everyone.
QFT.
Some here have been skiing their whole lives. It's part of their "DNA." Others were adult learners (me) who, on first slide, first successful turn, were hooked for life.

I guess that's why we're here? :becky:

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I think one of the negative assumptions about alpine sports is that it has to be a group event. I think there are many that wants to try but has no one to join them.

It doesn't. I would have tried earlier I'd I knew how often people solo ski.

I love solo skiing, and I love that alpine sport is a sport that is solo but community. You can go alone but we all know we look out for eachother.

That said, I'd never have tried if it weren't for a group trip. I had to be fairy deep in boarding/skiing before realizing how often people just go solo.

Still though, there is a sense of community a strong sense of togetherness among strangers. Probably because we are all dumb enough to slide around on sticks at speeds that can cause bodily harm but being able to quickly choose to be alone or join a group is so easy when skiing or boarding.

For me at least. I'm awkward and hate small talk otherwise. Soo... how is the weather?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga