• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Enable me or don’t. Cashmere sweater for skiing

newboots

Angel Diva
I think the short-sleeve idea is great! I’ve seen some short-sleeve cashmere sweaters and I think they’re a fabulous look!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think the short-sleeve idea is great! I’ve seen some short-sleeve cashmere sweaters and I think they’re a fabulous look!
Good to know - I haven’t really seen them except as part of a twin-set look but I wouldn’t have the cardigan part.

newboots

Angel Diva
Good to know - I haven’t really seen them except as part of a twin-set look but I wouldn’t have the cardigan part.

I’ve seen them in catalogs with a pair of lovely wool pants. Maybe a necklace. Understated casual elegance. Hard for me to pull off, as whatever I’m wearing usually has a stain on the front.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Getting Ready I hope you bought the cashmere ! It is warmer than wool but maybe not as tough. Really you can never have enough cashmere, and vintage cashmere is even better. DD and I love finding vintage sweaters thrifting / good willing. I have transitioned most of my sweater collection to cashmere or merino wool....... I think we had another thread about cashmere earlier?

Jenny

Angel Diva
We were at the one-of-a-kind sale in Chicago a few years ago and there was an artist there who repurposed cashmere sweaters into new sweaters. They were super thick because she took large sweaters and washed/dried them so they became super dense and felted. I keep meaning to try and find one in a thrift store and try it out, just to see what happens.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
@Getting Ready I hope you bought the cashmere ! It is warmer than wool but maybe not as tough. Really you can never have enough cashmere, and vintage cashmere is even better. DD and I love finding vintage sweaters thrifting / good willing. I have transitioned most of my sweater collection to cashmere or merino wool....... I think we had another thread about cashmere earlier?

I did and am wearing it as I type. It is important to support business that invest in sustainable materials and practices. It is almost community service if you think about it. ;)

I wish I knew how to submit cashmere for recycling. I have a sweater that did not survive a teething puppy.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
A girl can never have enough cashmere sweaters ! Here in Europe the good shops will specify gauge and ply so you know how thick it is .
Personally I tend to go for Merino for active wear . It really doesn’t smell and wicks really well .
I defy anyone to not fall in love with perfectmoment ski sweaters . I have 1 ...but have my eye on more

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I knew how to submit cashmere for recycling. I have a sweater that did not survive a teething puppy.[/QUOTE]

Any art schools with fiber arts programs around you? My youngest goes to the Maine College of Art, and will take old sweaters apart, comb the fibers out, and re-spin them to knit something new. But you can also just wash it hot to felt it so it will be less likely to unravel, then cut it up to make something new. A simple project is a hot water bottle cozy. But I've also seen mittens, scarves, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. made from felted cashmere.
https://littleredwindow.com/how-to-felt-cashmere/

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I wish I knew how to submit cashmere for recycling. I have a sweater that did not survive a teething puppy.

Any art schools with fiber arts programs around you? My youngest goes to the Maine College of Art, and will take old sweaters apart, comb the fibers out, and re-spin them to knit something new. But you can also just wash it hot to felt it so it will be less likely to unravel, then cut it up to make something new. A simple project is a hot water bottle cozy. But I've also seen mittens, scarves, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. made from felted cashmere.
https://littleredwindow.com/how-to-felt-cashmere/[/QUOTE]
You can also make sweaters for toy dogs or puppies out of the sleeves. I made one for my 4# Chihuahua out of a sleeve from one of my sweaters (not cashmere, though, lol). (Image taken from a video)IMG_F02C9380FB5D-1.jpeg

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have skied in cashmere in the past Its quite lovely, actually. I had a heather gray cashmere turtleneck my husband bought for me at Saks one year. I think I lived in it for at least 5 years - it was in heavy rotation for sure, but because it was decent quality it seemed to hold up. Then I had a baby and couldn't wear it for the latter part of my pregnancy. I actually was wearing this sweater post-partum when my son's dried up umbilical stump fell off - I found the dried little raisin looking thing stuck to the front of my sweater (puke). God, I loved that sweater.
And then one off-season it got a little moth hole on the back, just below the shoulder blade. It hurt my soul. Re-weaving is SUPER expensive - and with the prices of cashmere now being much more affordable, I repurposed it for ski for a few more years until I (apparently) grew out of it. I did wear a very thin tank underneath and my usual mid-layer, but was toasty warm in near-zero windy conditions for many days. It never smelled - and I am a sweaty betty. The softness was lovely next to the skin. I highly recommend it!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And then one off-season it got a little moth hole on the back, just below the shoulder blade. It hurt my soul.....
My house here in New England is very old and moths get inside through who-knows-where-cracks. I will not use mothballs.

So I can't own much wool because it gets holes in it from the moth larvae. I went through all my sweaters and threw out the ones with holes, which was most of them. It sure hurts to do that. I don't know what's different from the first 10 years I lived here when there weren't any moths in the house, and the next seven which has seen an invasion. I've got them down to a small number now, but they haven't gone away totally. The few wool things I cherish are in taped up bags until I bring them out to wear in winter.

At that point I keep my fingers crossed.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
My house here in New England is very old and moths get inside through who-knows-where-cracks. I will not use mothballs.

So I can't own much wool because it gets holes in it from the moth larvae. I went through all my sweaters and threw out the ones with holes, which was most of them. It sure hurts to do that. I don't know what's different from the first 10 years I lived here when there weren't any moths in the house, and the next seven which has seen an invasion. I've got them down to a small number now, but they haven't gone away totally. The few wool things I cherish are in taped up bags until I bring them out to wear in winter.

At that point I keep my fingers crossed.
UGH! Have had that experience when I had wool Oriental rugs -- that was an expensive mess! No more wool rugs :o(

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I had moths in a blanket I bought from overseas. I looked online, and put it in the freezer for weeks. All gone!
Lucky you discovered them while they were still controllable!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna