• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Emergency Boot Issue

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm skiing at Wolf Creek this wk, and am suddenly having a problem with my boots, or actually, the tongues of my boots. This is my first time out this season, and after skiing for a few hrs I noticed that I was having pain beside my shins, in the same place on both legs. When I took my boots off to investigate, I could see that the side of the liner tongues had left an impression (see photo). My boots are about 8 yrs old, these are the original liners, and I've never had ANY issues or discomfort with them before.

OK, I know it's probably that the liners have packed out, and I will either need new liners or new boots, but here's the urgent question: I have 5 more days to ski here, and will not be able to do anything about getting boots or liners until I get to Taos next week, so does anyone have any suggestions about what I might be able to do to decrease the discomfort I'm feeling for the next few days? (Paging @SnowHot ).
IMG_0026.jpeg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Hi @TNtoTaos :wave: I’m sorry you’re having some pain! Is that a thin(ner) sock I see in the pic? I recommend a thicker sock with padding on the front of your shin. Should get you through until you get to Taos. Good luck :thumbsup:
That's a great idea! (Why didn't I think of that, duh?) Thank you so much - I actually have a pair of thicker socks that I can try!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm no bootfitter but what about trying to heat them with a hairdryer and remolding them ??? The other thing is footbeds ?? At a fitting I had a couple of years ago I had a similar pain but when we put my footbeds in it disappeared .... I hope you can solve the issue !

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While it is a totally different type of pain, the gel pads that help with shin bang can maybe also help. I usually cut them into two vertical long strips and actually place them on each side of the painful spot leaving it uncovered so the padding is next to but not on top.

Not sure if it would help in this case? Sometimes shops have thin foam that is less expensive and some medical tape can accomplish the same.

I suffer from the same issue and my only solution has been the Intuition wrap liners for 22 years.

Best of luck.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This might sound really dumb, but I recall a morning when I was in haste to get out there and started skiing with pain similar to what you mentioned. I had accidentally put the boot on with the tongue in the wrong position. Yeah, Ouch and pretty quick fix!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This might sound really dumb, but I recall a morning when I was in haste to get out there and started skiing with pain similar to what you mentioned. I had accidentally put the boot on with the tongue in the wrong position. Yeah, Ouch and pretty quick fix!:rolleyes:
I've done the same thing. I wrecked my morning with a rushed boot-up in the parking lot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Did you just fly out there? Could your legs be a little swollen causing more tightness than usual there? I've had an issue in the past with strange horrible foot pain in one boot when I flew West in the morning and then skied in the afternoon right after landing. Pretty sure it was due to the flying throwing something off with a slightly swollen foot. It was fine the next day though. Hopefully whatever the issue is will work itself out while you're there too.

If not though.. Are there no shops in the area to pop into just in case they can offer anything to try?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm no bootfitter but what about trying to heat them with a hairdryer and remolding them ??? The other thing is footbeds ?? At a fitting I had a couple of years ago I had a similar pain but when we put my footbeds in it disappeared .... I hope you can solve the issue !
Thanks, but it's definitely the edge of the tongue that's causing the pressure.

Reactions: AJM

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
While it is a totally different type of pain, the gel pads that help with shin bang can maybe also help. I usually cut them into two vertical long strips and actually place them on each side of the painful spot leaving it uncovered so the padding is next to but not on top.

Not sure if it would help in this case? Sometimes shops have thin foam that is less expensive and some medical tape can accomplish the same.

I suffer from the same issue and my only solution has been the Intuition wrap liners for 22 years.

Best of luck.
Yes, I'm going to stop into the little shop at Wolf Creek this am and see if there's anything I can use to rig up something like that.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, everything was as it should be - I think the material is just packed out.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Did you just fly out there? Could your legs be a little swollen causing more tightness than usual there? I've had an issue in the past with strange horrible foot pain in one boot when I flew West in the morning and then skied in the afternoon right after landing. Pretty sure it was due to the flying throwing something off with a slightly swollen foot. It was fine the next day though. Hopefully whatever the issue is will work itself out while you're there too.

If not though.. Are there no shops in the area to pop into just in case they can offer anything to try?
No, drove out in my van, and had a day to relax before skiing. But again, will see what their little shop can offer.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The only other thought that comes to mind since it was on your first day out-- did you maybe have them buckled up tighter during the off-season and that might have given the tongues a slightly different curve than usual.
Good thought - will try various things this am.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @diymom said I’d be suspecting the plastic memory maybe curved in storage. I have gotten that where I felt like the edges of the tongue were like knives into my legs my bootfitter was able to heat and flatten the edges some.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This might not work for you, but I had some success with bits of a thin, cheap yoga mat cut up and placed strategically around the tongue of my boot when I was having trouble with shin and ankle pain. It didn't fix the problem 100% but it did ease it enough to let me ski for a few hours a day.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So here's the update: I was able to ski all day today (which turned into a powder day by afternoon :yahoo:) with almost no pain!! I tried a combo of the above suggestions: wore a thicker sock, and tried variations of how tight to buckle each buckle on my boots, etc., and it basically worked. I think part of the problem, as @diymom and @SarahXC suggested, was that it was my first day using the boots for the season, the snow was a bit hard for several hrs, and I probably buckled them a bit too tightly. Also, the off-season tightness may have been too much, as well.

So, thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions. Tomorrow will be a serious powder day (possibly a foot of snow with the present storm -- about 8" already, and suppose to snow all night and into tomorrow), so we'll see what happens. I couldn't find anything to use in the local ski shop, so as a last resort (in case I need something tomorrow) I stopped into the local Dollar store and bought some...wait for it...maxi-pads! They stick to the skin, and have some padding, so if I start having discomfort again I'll see if they help. Should be an interesting experiment, LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga