• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Eastern skier - demo or bring skis to Steamboat this week

Michele G

Diva in Training
Ladies,

I've got Vokl Fuego's (151's, I'm 5' 160lbs) and I absolutely love them. Skied steamboat last year (packed power mostly front side conditions) and I really hated the two different demo ski's I had the opportunity to try.

I'm a super fast skier, and like a ski I can ride on the cruisers and drive in quicker turns on the steeps and moguls. I've been finding lately that I've been "muscling" my ski more than I should need to.

So here's the question -- should I haul my ski's out with me, or find a better ski to demo?

Here in the east, I love the speed and stability of this ski. Love the edge grip. I need a ski that will be super fast for the time in Steamboat, but not sure if the Fuego is the way to go.

And, if I were to demo a ski, what would you all recommend? First and foremost needs to be fast, and stable. Do need a bit of snap for the occasional moguls and more challenging terrain, but mostly just concerned about getting something that is as close to a racing ski as I can get and still be ready for colorado snow.

Length? longer or shorter with the switch from east to west?

Thoughts?
Thanks so much for the advice!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I 2nd bringing your skis just in case - demo selection, even at large mountains, are not guaranteed. Maybe my issue is just a tall girl problem, but I rarely find the ski that I want to demo, in the length I want to demo it.

@nopoleskier , do you have any suggestions? I think of you as you are [obviously] an incredible carver and travel west quite a bit :smile:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the compliment @lisamamot
Yes, I love having "my" skis w/me because I know how they ski.. I do have double sport tube and take my Atomic Cloud 11's SUPERB Fast Carvers They are a high end ladies race style ski w/rocker just in the tip, ski like a traditional ski
(I just got on them this weekend and they are very fast, turney and super fun) you sound like you ski like me... lots of fast turns, love the groomers, hit the bumps sometimes.

I do have a pair of powder skis also "atomics they are 98 under foot the Elysians Atomic Now calls them the Vantage series. They do go fast but if you are on tight waist race style skis there's no comparing the quickness of edge to edge from 70cm to 98cm.

Out west imho, they have very limited narrow (under 80) underfoot so I wouldn't count on finding a frontside east coast ripper out there. I would take yours you know they ski. I'm guessing you have excelled beyond your skis capabilities if you are muscling them. you need a tad longer and perhaps stiffer ski.. (demo is the best way not sure where you are on the east coast-my local mt (royal) has a great demo day thurs of pres week FREE- I try so many skis, take notes then buy at discount (my newest the cloud 11's I got via the ski.com link on this site)

We're terrible enabler's here.. if you are in the market for new skis we'll help :-)

I'd demo the Vantage series for a western ski,also Rossignol makes some rippers- Blizzard's Viva series is another great fast carving ski.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely take yours. I think they aren't supposed to have any new snow until the weekend and then only a low to moderate amount so likely it will be groomer central with warming temps during the week.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd bring your own. None of the shops that offer demos are likely to have a carver type ski as you're looking for--most of them are heavily skewed to all mountain and some powder skis.
Bring you own and then demo if you happen to find a place that carries something you are interested in.
Christy Sports in gondola square usually has a lot of demos--but again, not sure they would have what you're looking for.
Fleischer Sports carries Kastle so maybe they would have something.
The skis that ski corp/the mountain demo shop at the base and yurt up top mostly have all mountain type skis and the few narrower skis they do have, tend to be way more intermediate than you are looking for.

Michele G

Diva in Training
No poles? I'm no poles!!!!

Few and far between! I think i've been pushing too low/leaning forward too hard -- that's what I mean by muscling. As you know, without the poles the legs work a little harder, but I think that I might be pushing too much.

Thanks all for the recommendations! Now I'm definitely taking my beloved Vokls.

M

"
I would take yours you know they ski. I'm guessing you have excelled beyond your skis capabilities if you are muscling them. you need a tad longer and perhaps stiffer ski..

I'd demo the Vantage series for a western ski,also Rossignol makes some rippers- Blizzard's Viva series is another great fast carving ski.[/QUOTE]

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YEAH!! @Michele G No poles is SOOO FREE Feeling.. yes I agree some times w/out poles we may lean to far forward.. I skied no poles for about 20yrs then started using again about 5yrs ago when I started actively teaching (I still take away everyone's poles in lessons) Hope we get to have a no pole ski day!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna