• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Early season Utah?

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks like we may have an opportunity to do a quickie (few days) ski trip to Utah before Christmas. Any suggestions? DH loves Alta and Snowbird, but I'm not sure, not having been to either. And what about all the other ski mountains there?
Any suggestions?

Christy

Angel Diva
I really like Tony Crocker's guide to early season skiing--there are Utah areas at #4-#6 on the best bets list. I can't the exact page to link but go to the page below, scroll down halfway for the link to the Inside Tracks articles (it's one of the links with the "NEW" icon), then go to the bottom of that page and find "Top 18 Early Season Resorts" 3rd link from the bottom.

https://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

The link just above the "Top 18"--the factors affecting early season snow--has this to say:

In Utah, the best early season areas are clearly Alta (500 inches) and Brighton (400), which have the highest base elevations and lower mountain terrain which is skiable on a 3-4 foot base. Snowbird needs at least 6 feet to avoid rock problems, and Park City�s base area is totally snowmaking dependent in the early season because the annual average snow is only 150 inches there. Fortunately, Park City�s expert Jupiter Bowl averages over 300 inches.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alta and Brighton for sure.

I wouldn't recommend planning anything until at least Thanksgiving. Christmas you should be fine pretty much anywhere in the Cottonwoods and probably Park City.

jude

Diva in Training
we have skied alta and snowbird several times in early december. we usually go the 2nd or 3rd week of december and have always had at least good and sometimes great skiing. we have had better luck there than anywhere else at that time. We have occasionally skied other mountains but always return to alta and snowbird for the best snow. have a great time. they are wonderful resorts.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey thanks for the input. I'll let you know what we finally decide.

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
La Nina season coming up, which can mean Utah could go either way, depending on the storm track. Our last big La Nina was pretty skimpy for Utah, so keep an eye on early snow fall before making any decisions. I love Brighton--it's small and homegrown, with plenty of side stashes and friendly people.

Gumbelina

Certified Ski Diva
Me, hubby, and our two skiing besties will be staying in SLC and hitting whatever looks fun btw Christmas and New Year's this year. Good to know that the 'bird needs some serious snowcover to avoid base-eating rocks! Hubby and my ski buddy started their own business a year ago, and that week when most of their clients will be busy with the holidays and family is our best bet for actually taking a vacation, rather than having hubby and partner working from the hotel for most of the week. If any Divas will be skiing in the area that week I'd love to meet up!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When the snow just starts, I think it's best to head to the Wasatch Back. We don't have the big rock outcroppings, so we don't need as much snow to cover. The Canyons, Park City Mt. Resort, and Deer Valley would be the place to try if the natural snow is sketchy in the Cottonwoods. I sure hope we're open (our scheduled date is 11/22), or I'm not going to be making any money !!!!!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When the snow just starts, I think it's best to head to the Wasatch Back. We don't have the big rock outcroppings, so we don't need as much snow to cover. The Canyons, Park City Mt. Resort, and Deer Valley would be the place to try if the natural snow is sketchy in the Cottonwoods. I sure hope we're open (our scheduled date is 11/22), or I'm not going to be making any money !!!!!

good advice SG---esp. in the last couple of years, Big Ctw relies on snowmaking for a base on the main groomers. These tend to get crowded on holidays, since it's usually a handful of trails.

Off piste is just not an option for trees and bowls until a natural base sets in which has been later in recent years. For example, Millicent Bowl at Brighton and Honeycomb at Soli don't even open till we reach 80-100 inches of base.

Now if we get a couple of early season monster storms......more will open---but rock skis are recommended as stuff lurks beneath without a big base.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga