• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dynafit ST Rotation vs. Salomon Shift touring bindings

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
Hello everybody! Pretty excited because the season has come for me to try backcountry skiing. This was a goal I set a couple seasons ago after finally getting back into skiing as an adult (learned as a kid but didn't have the resources to do it more than once every few years).

I'm currently building my AT setup and so far I've got: Atomic Hawx Prime XTD 115 boots, Faction Agent 3x skis.

Right now I'm trying to decide on bindings and having a really hard time deciding between: Dynafit ST Rotation 10, and Salomon Shift 10 bindings.

My top priority in binding choice is safety and skiing a binding that will have a more reliable and safety-rated release. Based on my research, that sort of puts me in the range of heavier bindings and I'm mostly okay with that. However, both my boots and skis are on the heavier end of touring equipment, so I'm taking into consideration that I should try to save a little weight somewhere. The Dynafits are about 600 grams each, and the Shifts are about 870 grams each.

Some of the problem with deciding between the two is that I'm not entirely sure what kind of backcountry skier I will be. My best guess is that I will be doing both mid-winter and spring tours, on more popular routes in the PNW with not a huge amount of vert to climb. I won't be trying to set any speed records, and I also think I'll be the type of backcountry skier who wants to maximize their downhill experience, thus the heavier/wider skis I chose.

The upside to the Shifts are that I'd be able to use them inbounds if I really wanted to, and they'd be more versatile. The upside to the Dynafits are that they save me some weight. Anything else I should know about each of these bindings?

Finally, I really wish I knew how the Factions are going to ski before mounting a binding on them. If I really enjoy skiing them and not just in a "these are pretty good for a touring ski, I guess" kind of way, then it might make sense to do the Shifts for days when I only want to bring one ski on a trip where I may be skiing both resort and backcountry (is that even realistically a thing?) However, if I ski them and they're clearly not as fun to ski as my Santa Anas (I have both the 93 and 110 Free and really enjoy their damp ride quality and some of the energy they give me popping out of turns, which I don't think I'll get out of the Factions), then I think it makes sense to save the weight and set them up with a binding that makes them a dedicated touring ski.

Help!! I cannot decide. Appreciate any insights.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the shifts on a pair of skis I use mainly for resort but occasional light touring. They are kind of finicky to use and switch from mode to mode but I have been happy with their releases when needed inbounds. Not having a lower/higher riser option for touring really is less than ideal for my calves when touring. They do feel like a standard downhill binding on the downhill which was what I was mainly looking for. I think @ilovepugs has some ATK bindings she might be able to share her options about.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before you go touring please make sure to take an avalanche course. Beacon probe shovel & voile straps (duct tape of backcountry)
If you are looking for Hybrid bindings to use inbound with occasional touring =G3 ion or Marker kingpin. G3 Ion comes in 10 or 12. I use G3ion10 cuz the setting goes down to 4. Similarly Marker kingpin 10-13. Kingpin are heavier but look more like normal bindings, the heel is an easy flip 4 touring. For the PNW they may be fine. For UT inbound skiing the toe piece froze(I keep having to break the ice to release) making me worried about release. G3 ion heel turns for touring (there r reports of freezing but I have not had any problems touring). G3 now sells replacement toe piece as they wear out quicker with heavy use. No matter what setting u pick if you plan on spring touring buy the matching set of ski crampons they help prevent sliding back.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only had Dynafits on my touring skis (2 pairs) because before their patent expired, they were the only tech binding around. The considerations I'd add are (1) many people are more conservative skiers in the backcountry than they are in the resort, and not cranking crazy turns that require a burly binding and (2) a lot more time is spent on the up than the down. You might want to consider whether "conservative" for you winds up being "tentative" in a bad way/falling and needing better binding release.

Realistically, you could have an AT setup as your only setup. I know a bunch of people who have only an AT setup for both the resort and backcountry. They're on Fritschi Tectons and Vipecs, and various Dynafits. For a few years about a dozen years ago, my only setup was a heavy Fritschi frame binding.

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the input, everybody! I ended up getting neither binding, haha. :smile: I got the Fritschi Vipec Evo 12. We'll see how this goes! I am signed up for a Rippin Chix camp in BC in January, and it has an Intro to Backcountry component to it, so that will be my first foray into BC.

Resurfacing this thread because it was extremely helpful:

As well as Analisa's excellent blog post on building an AT setup that also clarified a lot of things for me:

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the input, everybody! I ended up getting neither binding, haha. :smile: I got the Fritschi Vipec Evo 12. We'll see how this goes! I am signed up for a Rippin Chix camp in BC in January, and it has an Intro to Backcountry component to it, so that will be my first foray into BC.

I love my Fritchi bindings, lightweight and speedy transition. Have a great time and please share your Rippin Chix camp experience!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna