• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Downhill mountain biking

Getting ready to begin my new summer hobby of lift served downhill mountain biking. My friend/neighbor/cat sitter wants to do this with me. I plan to call in sick from work and we'll head up to Mount Snow during the week for a day of fun.

I am contemplating buying the summer season pass because I can use my winter pass to add it on for quite a savings. I'll still need to rent a bike but at least I'll be cutting one of the expenses.

I already have gloves that I bought last summer when I tried this so set there.

What I would like to buy before I go would be shin and elbow pads and maybe a helmet. I could probably get the shin/elbow pads from the bike shop at Snow cause I can use my pass and get a discount. I also might peruse facebook tag sale sites to see if anyone is selling anything.

Questions, does anyone know of other good places to buy these types of things? As far as helmets go, is this something I should buy brand new or should I consider buying a used one?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gah - new helmet. Definitely. Spend the money. I was able to get a great fit on clearance at the end of the season, but it's worth full price. You have no idea what that person did with their helmet. And definitely make sure it fits. The helmet will be heavier than you're used to - mine is pretty light, but still my neck is sore the next day.

I was actually willing to buy a pair of old demo shin guards - ugh - because they fit, and I had such trouble finding anything that wouldn't chafe at the knee. I washed them well. Later I saw the same model on TheClymb, so I was able to upgrade to ones that only had my sweat.

If you get into it, I would also recommend goggles. I only required one description of a twig going up under someone's sunglasses to decide I wanted goggles. They do make you sweat, though, so fogging is more of an issue - you have to take them off the second you stop.

Actually - I have some old shin guards and elbow guards I'm not using. I've gone through a lot of trial and error before landing on the gear I liked. They're packed up and I'm gimpy at the moment, but if you're interested I can dig them up and send pics. I also have a back protector. Honestly I don't even need to sell this stuff, just want it out of the house, so if you want to pay shipping ....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also as you get into it - if you don't have baggy shorts that come below the knee, they're really nice for sliding on dirt. I gave up on women's - too form fitting - and am lucky to have a shop in Boulder that specializes in downhill and dirt jump riding, so I tried on all the things and found a few that fit great. They do cost an arm and a leg, though.

Paging @geargrrl who probably has some great insights.

Gah - new helmet. Definitely. Spend the money. I was able to get a great fit on clearance at the end of the season, but it's worth full price. You have no idea what that person did with their helmet. And definitely make sure it fits. The helmet will be heavier than you're used to - mine is pretty light, but still my neck is sore the next day.

If you get into it, I would also recommend goggles. I only required one description of a twig going up under someone's sunglasses to decide I wanted goggles. They do make you sweat, though, so fogging is more of an issue - you have to take them off the second you stop.

Actually - I have some old shin guards and elbow guards I'm not using. I've gone through a lot of trial and error before landing on the gear I liked. They're packed up and I'm gimpy at the moment, but if you're interested I can dig them up and send pics. I also have a back protector. Honestly I don't even need to sell this stuff, just want it out of the house, so if you want to pay shipping ....

Yeah I figured the helmet was similar to a ski helmet. I'd never buy a used ski helmet so...... I can maybe rent a helmet for the season and then pick one up at the end of the season. I was thinking about wearing my glacier goggles for mountain biking if that would work. I don't wear them skiing any longer so was thinking they might work for this? I am very interested in your shin and elbow protectors. You rest that knee of yours since I'm not going until July. Maybe after your surgery as you're starting to get around you can take photos or something? I can paypal you the shipping costs if that works... THANK YOU!!!

Also as you get into it - if you don't have baggy shorts that come below the knee, they're really nice for sliding on dirt. I gave up on women's - too form fitting - and am lucky to have a shop in Boulder that specializes in downhill and dirt jump riding, so I tried on all the things and found a few that fit great. They do cost an arm and a leg, though.

Paging @geargrrl who probably has some great insights.

I like the baggy short idea, I'll keep an eye out for those too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am very interested in your shin and elbow protectors. You rest that knee of yours since I'm not going until July. Maybe after your surgery as you're starting to get around you can take photos or something? I can paypal you the shipping costs if that works... THANK YOU!!!

Sure! If I can get them to someone who will use 'em, that will make me happy =)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Getting ready to begin my new summer hobby of lift served downhill mountain biking. My friend/neighbor/cat sitter wants to do this with me. I plan to call in sick from work and we'll head up to Mount Snow during the week for a day of fun.

I am contemplating buying the summer season pass because I can use my winter pass to add it on for quite a savings. I'll still need to rent a bike but at least I'll be cutting one of the expenses.

I already have gloves that I bought last summer when I tried this so set there.

What I would like to buy before I go would be shin and elbow pads and maybe a helmet. I could probably get the shin/elbow pads from the bike shop at Snow cause I can use my pass and get a discount. I also might peruse facebook tag sale sites to see if anyone is selling anything.

Questions, does anyone know of other good places to buy these types of things? As far as helmets go, is this something I should buy brand new or should I consider buying a used one?
ick don't buy a used helmet. Get a new one.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@surfsnowgirl - I'm in a similar boat just getting into lift-serviced terrain. I went a couple of times over the past 3 or 4 years, and last season decided it was something I wanted to invest some time and money into. I've been riding with just my regular mtb helmet, but in the market for a full face. I 100% agree with bounceswoosh...buy new...no buts about it. As for where to buy, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself, I can't seem to find any shops near me that sell downhill protective gear...so looking forward to hearing what others may think.

I like the baggy short idea, I'll keep an eye out for those too.

I actually saw a few women's pairs (as well as many men's) on steep and cheap this morning while browsing. They also had some Fox helmets that I'm entertaining the idea of just buying one and returning it if it doesn't fit.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have done lift served mountain biking at Squaw, Northstar, and Kirkwood. Last year at Northstar just wore my baggy mountain bike shorts, icebreaker racer back tank (it was freaking hot) and mountain bike shoes with helmet. Lucky me I guess have never worn protection but then unlike skiing I stick to easy trails..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have done lift served mountain biking at Squaw, Northstar, and Kirkwood. Last year at Northstar just wore my baggy mountain bike shorts, icebreaker racer back tank (it was freaking hot) and mountain bike shoes with helmet. Lucky me I guess have never worn protection but then unlike skiing I stick to easy trails..

It really depends on what you're doing, and the nature of the trails. You can probably get away with cross country gear on most of the trails at Winter Park. You wouldn't want to on most of the trails at Keystone. At both, greens are totally fine without armor.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It really depends on what you're doing, and the nature of the trails. You can probably get away with cross country gear on most of the trails at Winter Park. You wouldn't want to on most of the trails at Keystone. At both, greens are totally fine without armor.

Yeah mostly greens and some easy blues. Also easy single tracks are super fun. Also really like climbing so sometimes take lift half way up and then ride the rest of the way. Much harder at elevation than here in SC at sea level. We have great MTB riding here and fun climbs ...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Geargrrl is at her moms where the internet connection is poo....

One caveat on a used FF helmet - if you know who it is coming from and it's in good shape, why not buy it? I bought a great hardly used helmet from a friends girlfriend, for $25. She decided DH wasn't her thing. The helmet MUST fit!!!!! Not all heads are shaped the same, and different heads fit different brands.

Pads are a must unless you are so good you never crash. Around here, they come up on Craig's list pretty frequently but finding women's sizes that FIT is a whole 'nother things.

"what you wear for XC" is relative as most of my crew always wears arms and legs for xc, and we all wear baggy shorts anyway.

I'm all about protection so even if it's really hot I will not wear tank, as too much skin is exposed.

There are some really cool new helmets, Bell and Smith among others, that have removable face protectors so you can wear the helmet as FF or not.

Last but not least, consider a skills clinic. Even a short clinic will leave you much better prepared to have more fun and be safer on the trail.

Mount snow has some awesome clinics, taking one the next time i go. Hoping to get alan again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga