• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does anyone need glasses when they ski?

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I both wear glasses. I don't wear mine for skiing because I think:

a) it's too dangerous
b) my distance vision isn't bad enough that I can't see where I'm going.

He's just ordered a pair of Adidas googles that have prescription inserts.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had experience with them or any other type of prescription goggle they can share before I take the plunge.

Jilly

Staff member
Friend of mine has the Bolle version. Loves them, except still needs to take regular specs for when not wearing googles, like lunch break.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to talk Mr. Ski Diva into them for years, but he keeps resisting. His logic is that when he takes off his goggles to go into the lodge, he won't be able to see where he's going. And he doesn't want to carry his glasses. My solution is to wear contacts (which I do all the time, anyway), which he can't wear, either.

I'd be interested in hearing people's comments on this, too.

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've seen two types - where the actual lens in the goggles is the prescription and where you use a snap on insert for the prescription part of the lens.

The Adidas style are regular ski goggles that accept a prescription insert. The advantage? If your prescription changes you only need to order the new insert rather than change the whole lens on your goggles.

Adidas also has the same system for sunglasses - the frames stay the same and you just change the clip in lens. They have a sunglass model where you can snap the arms off and add a strap (but I think they are too small for ski goggles - would be great for spring skiing but I like the full goggle to keep my face warm).

I'm still skeptical. When I tried them on I found the edge of the prescription insert (although clear) was still in my field of vision and would take some getting used to.

Re the contacts - unfortunately, I can't wear contacts so that's not an option for me......

My long distance vision is perfect, but my reading glass prescription has just increased to 1.75 and I now wear readers or progressives whenever I work on the computer, read, etc. It was getting difficult for me to read the trail maps last year, so when I bought new glasses, I inquired about a pair of ready-made, inexpensive, compact readers that I could carry in my pack or parka. The owner of the eyeglasses shop gave me a pair (value = $25) because I had just purchased 2 pr. of progressive glasses and 1 pr. of readers ($ouch) and they are pretty funny, but I will feel more secure being able to whip those out if I'm at a new mountain and am really turned around and can't find a larger posted map.

Oy, the joys of getting older!:becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
SkiDiva, is there anything special about the contacts you wear to ski? Danny (husband) has a lot of trouble with his drying out, especially when we go out west and are at altitude.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have VERY dry eyes, so my optometrist prescribed contacts that are very thin and allow a lot of moisture to get through (Cooper Vision ProClear lenses). He also recommends I drink a LOT of water (which I'm working on) and use moisture drops regularly.

altagirl

Staff member
I also wear contacts. I'm way too blind to be walking around without anything and can't imagine taking my goggles off and being blind, or trying to carry glasses with me too and swapping back and forth.

I've never really had a problem with my contacts - I wear extended wear lenses. Whatever the latest thin extended wear version has been over the past almost 20 years. My optometrist has said I'm not going to be able to sleep in contacts forever and sooner or later they're going to start bugging me more and I'll have to get LASIK done. I just am a little afraid of it and it's expensive. But everyone I know who has had LASIK loves it. One of these days...

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
prescription eyewear

I have had great success with the Heavyglare.com website. They are a company called Sunray Optical. They have just about every goggle and sunglass manufacturer represented. Each model listed will show if it can accept an Rx insert, which is made in their lab for you. Prices are reasonable. I have two pair of goggles for different conditions and can switch my insert into either pair. Frame styles vary so much nowadays--a good thing--that switching cannot always be done but if you can do that, you'll save money. I must say, that these goggles were about the best investment I've made. They arrived very quickly too.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
contact lens, and I virtually always wear goggles for wind protection, except for warm springs

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't wear contacts--astigmatism, severe dryness and besides I'm one of those squicky sorts about messing with my eyes.

I have three pairs of glasses--my bifocals, that I have for everyday wear, my distance prescription (that I wear for skiing, hunting and other sorts of outdoor stuff where I don't want to fuss with bifocals) and my readers. What's worked for me so far is to buy a pair of goggles that *fit* my glasses--except the pair I bought last year turned out to be uncomfortable, so I did a major goggle upgrade for this year (when hubby was buying boots), where flexibility and comfort were the big issues.

Then I still need to switch back to the bifocals when I'm in the lodge...

Needless to say, I'm also a big fan of antifogging spray. But I've found that if I get the right fit, then fogging isn't an issue. The big issue is if the goggles are so rigid that they force the nosepieces on the glasses to dig into my nose--that's why I went for a softer, more flexible goggle this year, that *fits* my ski glasses better!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear contacts while skiing and always have drops with me but since I always were goggles I don't need them often. My dad uses goggles that have a prescription insert that is also compatible with his cycling sunglasses. I believe they are Smith but not positive about that.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have prescription panoptx and I love them. I wear them no matter how cold it is - have skied with them at -20° (wind chill -40 something) and no problems. I got them because I always had trouble with my glasses fogging when I wore goggles over them. I've heard that people who have had the googles with prescription inserts have had problems with the inserts fogging.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know if its still available, but Smith used to make a fan system that sat on the elastic band and blew into the goggle to keep it from foggy up.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if its still available, but Smith used to make a fan system that sat on the elastic band and blew into the goggle to keep it from foggy up.

no way, that's funny. pretty soon you'll be able to buy your own mini-snow making system

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear contacts, but about 19-20 years ago there was a period that I had been "overwearing" the lenses (I was using sleep-ins, but only for all day, not sleeping, by that time due to doctors telling me I couldn't do THAT anymore, darn it) and that I was getting vascularization in my eyes. I had to totally stop wearing contacts for six weeks. Naturally, it was ski season, so I went out and bought OTG goggles. I ended up loving them because if it was sunny I could just shove sunglasses in there. So, when I went back to my contacts, I just kept using those goggles (Bolle) and when I had to replace them I bought OTG goggles again. Once again I need new goggles and once again I plan to buy Bolle OTG goggles, but I think I am getting the type that darkens automatically this time. So, you'd think I wouldn't need OTG's. But I find that the field of vision is way higher because the lens juts out from the frame to accommodate glasses and I have more peripheral vision.

I wear my reading glasses on a leash around my neck for lodge visits. It is NOT easy to read trail maps because I have to fish the things out of my jacket and of course then I have to stow the mittens while I fumble with map and glasses. BUT, don't have the money to go spending on lift tickets outside the season pass, so I don't go to other areas much so I don't need maps most of the time.

Jilly

Staff member
Yah Robyn that the beast. My buddy's was at least 20 years old and still working last time he skied. He also had the bottoms of coke bottles for lenses and couldn't wear contacts.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't see without lenses of some sort, and for years I had little granny glasses just for distance vision that I skied with and wore with goggles. Problem was, I'd always end up with fogging, even with the power fan winging air thru the space, and the fogging was in 3 layers--both sides of the glasses lenses plus the inside of the goggles--so often I was completely blind. After a day in Vail's back bowls destroyed because I couldn't see, something had to change. Now I use distance vision contacts successfully with PanOptx sunglasses, the ones with the plastic and foam snow sports cups. Totally happy with this set-up, and the cups prevent my eyes from drying out as well as preventing excessive tearing. I stick a little pair of readers in my pocket for the trail maps. I like the system so much, I wear my contacts now for all my outdoor sports, including kayaking and cycling.

By the way, I have some OTG goggles if anybody wants them. Just PM me.

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear contacts (daily throw aways) for skiing and all my outdoor sports. Although they occasionally dry out when I'm skiing, they usually present no problems. For running and biking they're fine, too, especially because I wear sunglasses for those sports. In the woods for biking, I wear clear lenses to keep the mud and dirt out of my eyes.

My big problem with contacts comes when I'm whitewater kayaking. Whenever a wave hits me in the face or after I roll, the contacts go blurry and I'm blind for a few minutes, which can be pretty exciting in the middle of a rapid. I've also been known to lose up to three pairs of contacts on one run.:eek: I've started carrying spares in my lifejacket so that I can stop in an eddy and put in new ones. So, I've strongly considered getting Lasik done. Then, I'll read an article about people who have been left with extremely dry eyes, constant pain, and night halos, and I'll put off calling about Lasik even though I know that most people have great results. I'm just an eye surgery wimp.

These days I carry readers in my pocket for ski maps or other things with little print.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga