• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear your bottom baselayer inside your boot cuff??

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Horrors, I do wear my base layer over my socks inside my boots. They are fitted to just above the ankle and I have never had any issues with lumps or chafing. Why do I do this when I strongly recommend that students only have their sock and foot inside the boots? The tight fit of the base layer holds my socks up. My calves are huge and I have yet to find socks that don't work their way down while I ski. I feel lucky when I find socks that fit around and above my calf at all.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I don’t wear my bottom baselayer into my boot cuff. My legs and calves are too muscular. If my bottoms aren’t already capri style, I cut those bottoms off myself. My Under Amour Coldgear bottoms have all received the scissor treatment.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Horrors, I do wear my base layer over my socks inside my boots. They are fitted to just above the ankle and I have never had any issues with lumps or chafing. Why do I do this when I strongly recommend that students only have their sock and foot inside the boots? The tight fit of the base layer holds my socks up. My calves are huge and I have yet to find socks that don't work their way down while I ski. I feel lucky when I find socks that fit around and above my calf at all.
Boy do I hate those sock squeeze marks on my skin after a day of skiing! I use Bridgedale race socks now which are more like stocking knee highs. I know they’re sold in the US but here’s their site.

https://www.bridgedale.com/collections/womens-ski-socks/products/womens-race-over-calf

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I confess. I wear Snartwool zero cushion ski socks underneath a very thin wicking base layer. If I wore an insulating or thicker base layer, it would be too much. My base layer is as thin as silk and unnoticeable.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get ankle marks/bruises if I do, even with compression or thin base layers. 3/4 length is the only comfortable way for me.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow, old thread! Looks like I started it back in 2010 :smile:

An oldie but goodie thread! I'm skiing my local mountain today and I'll see how the full length goes. I don't like the feel of 3/4 length tights typically so I thought I would start here since the full length will be useful for other winter activities. CW-X is so insanely expensive that I'm proceeding carefully. I know there are other less-expensive brands (DH has found some on Amazon) but I really wanted to try the CW-X insulated compression tights.
I've always worn my full-length tights and very thin socks inside my boots and never had a problem as long as I make sure that the socks and tights are stretched totally smooth.

Well I did the unthinkable, and yesterday I wore the full length compression tights with socks over top (no way would I comfortably fit them underneath). Everything felt great, honestly. I bought new boots last season and skied only 5 short days at my local mountain due to crowds and the pandemic and other reasons. Now they are a little packed out so I didn't feel any sense of tightness. And honestly I did have less leg fatigue than when I skied about the same amount 10 days prior for my first day out. So I'm going to wear them for my ski clinic this week and see how things go. I'll bring my regular merino baselayers in case I need to make a change but so far so good! I admit that I didn't use the bathroom while wearing them, I live close to my local mountain. Pulling the compression tights back up in a cold stall wearing ski gear might be challenging!

BuckLup

Certified Ski Diva
I am a strict socks only (usually race thin) person for my boots. Somehow, I stay warm but have done this for so many years it would feel weird to go back to full length.

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL, I am one of those crazies who is obsessed with a smooth line under my boot. Just the sock, with the legging pushed way up to the boot cuff. I'm like the princess with the pea if there is even a wrinkle in my sock. Maybe I should get help for this.
Right there with you…only my sock can go into the boot & has to be super smooth or else it can throw me off completely I love that they make capri length baselayers now, but find most of mine cuff up nicely & don’t dig into my calf.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Capri length baselayer and compression socks only, although a couple of weeks ago, for some reason, I ended up a little chafed and bruised from the compression socks. I may need to look for something softer because the compression socks under the ski boots left far more of the knit pattern impression on my calf. It looked and felt like a cross between a bruise and rug burn - so weird.

Well I've had 4 days on snow so far with my CW-X legging and thin socks in my ski boot, and have had zero issues. And no question that the compression tights are giving me more support and I'm less tired while and after skiing. I think the fact that the compression tights don't move or sag makes this possible. Super happy with my setup, and looking forward to 3 days of skiing at Stowe next week, they are expecting up to 2' from today and tomorrow's storm!

newboots

Angel Diva
I love my compression baselayer, but I waited until I could find it on sale in capri length. I find this so much better when getting dressed than trying to manage my full-length merinos. In Maine at Diva East, I had purchased "ankle-length" sweat pants in a soft polyester/spandex fabric. I needed much more insulation than my sleek baselayers could provide! These were simple to pull up, not too bulky at all, and I wore my largest pants (with the waist adjustments let back out).

I love my compression baselayer, but I waited until I could find it on sale in capri length. I find this so much better when getting dressed than trying to manage my full-length merinos. In Maine at Diva East, I had purchased "ankle-length" sweat pants in a soft polyester/spandex fabric. I needed much more insulation than my sleek baselayers could provide! These were simple to pull up, not too bulky at all, and I wore my largest pants (with the waist adjustments let back out).
Creative! I don't tend to get cold and was fine with just the "winter" CW-X tights and lightly insulated pants even last week in Vermont when it was pretty chilly.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
So I was just reading people's opinion on another site about whether they wear their baselayers inside of their boot. Many say they fold it up so it just comes to the top of their boot or even cut their baselayer at that point.

I've never thought of this. I put on my ski socks and then pull on my under armour cold gear pants (which are pretty skin tight so I couldn't fold up that high..) Then I wear a hard shell pair of pants over that which is obviously not inside my boot.

So, I was just wondering what everyone else does. Is it wrong to have my baselayer in my boot?? I've never had any trouble, I don't even feel them, and they don't bunch at all because of the fit.. Just got me wondering..:noidea:
I cut my baselayers so I can cuff them just above my boot. I’ve always been told nothing in your boot except your sock and your foot.

I cut my baselayers so I can cuff them just above my boot. I’ve always been told nothing in your boot except your sock and your foot.
I was taught that too, and since I started skiing in 2005, I've folded my base layer so it's not in my boot. Which is physically impossible with full length CW-X tights and I strongly dislike the feel of capris.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never. I wear super thin socks and use "alpine" compression tights that stop just above my boot cuffs. I don't want anything near my boots except my feet and a scary thin sock. I do use boot heaters. Since I began using heaters I've never had cold feet. Re the rest, my boots are so comfy I could almost dance in them. Granted, that says volumes about my exceptional boot fitter!! (kudos to Brian at ProFit in Leesburg, VA).

altagirl

Staff member
I was taught that too, and since I started skiing in 2005, I've folded my base layer so it's not in my boot. Which is physically impossible with full length CW-X tights and I strongly dislike the feel of capris.
I mean.... my bootfitter said nothing in your boots but ultrathin socks! And then sold me full length CWX tights moments later. And when I was like wait what? He said well, flat seamed compression tights are fine. LOL. But i will say there is a huge difference to me between a compression tight and other baselayers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna