• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you use pole straps?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have begun skiing with my pole straps off (what a relief not to have to stop to put them on at the top). To my surprise, when I fall (I fall, yes I do) those poles are still in my hands. My auto-pilot sees to that, because conscious thought is sure not happening in that split second as I hit the snow.

So is this the case with others? If so (perhaps it's not so), why did we ever need those straps?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I went without straps tree skiing because I heard it was safer, and ended up losing a pole uphill. Had to go back to get it, which wasn't necesssarily fun.

I think I'll continue to use the straps!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pole straps

I wonder all the time why they even put the straps on poles. It must have something to do with on piste skiing because off piste heli, cat,
and other backcountry ski operations are prohibited from allowing clients to ski with them on.
What is the reasoning behind using your thumb and the strap to do a hop turn? I have never heard of this before.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never

I was trained not to.

I adjust my clothing, boots, and gloves constantly and I don't want to mess with the pole straps a thousand times a day.

I have had the same experience as Liquidfeet with all of my long sliding falls on steep slopes: the poles were still in my hands at the end. I think it must be some kind of instinct, like holding onto our mothers when we're in danger as infants.

Only one instructor has ever advised me to use the straps. Interestingly, he was also the best skier I ever met---the guy I mentioned a couple of weeks ago who competed in the 1976 Olympic biathlon and was skiing down the mountain on one ski doing pirouettes, on ice.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not use pole straps... read too many stories about sprained thumbs and I'm a computer programmer and have to type all day. It's not worth being in pain during my real job.

Jilly

Staff member
I've always used my straps. I don't take them off even for the lift, except a gondola or tram. In 45 years of skiing, I've only sprained both thumbs, at the same time, spring skiing. I will say that I'm glad they did away with the "thumb breaker" plastic grips!! For those newer to this sport, back in the 80's there was a soft plastic grip that surrounded your hand, instead of the "leather strap". Bye the bye, next year some of the manufacturers are adding fur to their straps for ladies poles!!??!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only thing I use pole straps for is to hang my poles off my skis, down at the lodge. :p

I had one instructor mention that pole straps were important for getting proper "swing" of the pole during a pole touch. I guess I can see that, but there's so many other aspects of my skiing that can use improvement that this is a minor detail in comparison. I don't like messing with putting the straps on my mittens, and rarely have dropped a pole. (Usually the snow jumps up and grabs them!).

altagirl

Staff member
I use them.

A. I've not had any sort of thumb injury or sprain since switching to the pole strap technique where you put your hand up through the strap and then put your hand on top of it. That way, your thumb doesn't get caught and voila - no more thumb strains. You let go of the pole and they dangle freely from the wrist.

B. When my poles get stuck on a branch or something - the straps are loose enough that they just slide right off my hands. I've never had a shoulder strain, and sometimes barely even feel it. If I had the straps tight, that would probably be different.

C. I've read things that said, if you're caught in an avalanche your gear can weigh you down, and others that said it helps you to float. I've read things that say you should try to "swim" and more recently an article that said NOT to try to swim, but to try to keep your hands in front of your face to maintain an air pocket. Knowing that when caught on something, my pole straps come off my wrist much easier than my skis come off my feet... I don't worry about this. To me -- if I think I'm in that dangerous of avalanche terrain that my pole straps are going to make a difference... I need to just turn back around and get out of there. Now, I understand that if you're running a business, and have legal liability issues, why not have your clients take their straps off? It's something you can say you did, and whether or not it actually does any good, it looks good in a lawsuit case to have a policy on the matter. Personally, I just go touring on my own (with friends), and when conditions are pretty safe, and I don't worry about my poles making a difference in an avalanche situation.

Why DO I wear them? Because I've stuck them in the ground while poling along the high T on a powder day and they stay there and I'd have lost them if not for the strap on my wrist, but they come off when they get stuck on something more solid, like a branch. I'm not missing out on my first tracks for a pole stuck in the powder. Especially when I don't really see any downside to using them (when they're loose anyway). Plus, I've found them to be helpful in the event I need to self-arrest.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been told I shouldn't use straps because I could break my wrist if I fall. My husband never uses his.
That being said, I still feel more comfortable when I use my straps, and I don't want to have to hike back up to retrieve a lost pole.

altagirl

Staff member
cyn said:
I've been told I shouldn't use straps because I could break my wrist if I fall. My husband never uses his.
That being said, I still feel more comfortable when I use my straps, and I don't want to have to hike back up to retrieve a lost pole.

I don't know how likely that is. Sure, anything's possible I guess. But broken wrists are actually much more common among snowboarders... so poles can't really be causing that!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never heard of broken wrists from straps, either, and can't really envision how that would play out. Skier's thumb, which is something like a piece of bone on the thumb that is attached to the ligament breaking off, is more likely.

As for the hop turns, if you're holding onto your poles with all fingers and thumbs around the handle, you only have as much leverage as what you can press down in that coil- or fist-like position, and the thumb is not engaged. If your straps are on correctly, wrapped around the thumbs, I (at least) get more leverage because my hand is in a more open position. At least, I think that's how it works.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
straps not baskets

Altagirl, it is actually the strap itself that you don't want to get hung up in a tree. You should be careful of this if you are wearing them loose, I know several people who've suffered major shoulder trauma
due to this. As for cupping your hands over your face, I seriously doubt that you would be able to do this with ski poles flailing around.
You should consider tucking them under your hand when you ski the trees or backcountry. It's like a ski you lose it you hike but it probably saved you from injury.

abc

Banned
I use mine when skiing in the open. I've had thumb injuries, but NOT from skiing. I've had poles left on snows while poling to the lift, when I removed the strap in anticipation to riding the lift, only to lose it.

I've been told NOT to use the strap when skiing in the trees. I don't. But others say you can get the same shoulder injury even WITHOUT using straps!

I, too, am a programmer. But I don't even use my thumb for the mouse any more! And I type a great deal more writing e-mails then writing actual programs. ;-)

altagirl

Staff member
Gloria said:
Altagirl, it is actually the strap itself that you don't want to get hung up in a tree. You should be careful of this if you are wearing them loose, I know several people who've suffered major shoulder trauma
due to this. As for cupping your hands over your face, I seriously doubt that you would be able to do this with ski poles flailing around.
You should consider tucking them under your hand when you ski the trees or backcountry. It's like a ski you lose it you hike but it probably saved you from injury.

I just can't see it being that big of a risk (aside from a freak thing) any more than I can see situations where I'd need a pole to self arrest. So pick your poison. You can get hurt by having them on, or get hurt by losing them when you need them. There are risks to the sport and you can't eliminate them all. I agree - it's just like bindings. You can get hurt if they don't release and you have them set too tight, but you can get hurt just as bad or worse if they release unexpectedly from being too loose.

abc

Banned
it's just like bindings. You can get hurt if they don't release and you have them set too tight, but you can get hurt just as bad or worse if they release unexpectedly from being too loose.

A very good point. I was told for skiing off-piste, you do want to set them higher because losing your ski unexpectedly can be quite dangerous.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always use my straps. I have Goode poles with the emergency release which does work, so I don't ever take them off. Only once did I get skier's thumb, and it was from jamming my thumb into the ground when I fell, not from the strap.

Correct use of straps allows a smooth swing and pole plant without having a death grip on the poles. I've seen a majority of students who haven't been taught to use straps correctly holding their poles with a death grip causing tons of tension in their shoulders and upper body and stiff, awkward arm movements when attempting a pole plant. Correct use of the strap usually allows this tension and awkwardness to disappear.

Correct use of the strap occurs thusly:
Make a 'bunny' with your hand.....the bunny comes up through the 'hole' (the pole shoud be dangling from the wrist, facing the inside of the arm), then the bunny eats the carrot (just push up on the pole until the grip and the remainder of the strap is enclosed in the palm).

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My thoughts are like Altagirl and Volklgirl...in fact I confess to be amazed at the number of you saying you do not use pole straps. I'm going to start noticing on the hill. Sincerely, I thought it was a habit only of beginning skiers. Will also ask my husband who has done a lot of heli skiing -- never heard him menion the "no poles" rule.

Can't tell you the number of times I've had the basket go too deep or the pole has swung out of my hand, and I've been able to flip it back. At speed, on steeps, and out in the crud/trees, I have no interest in having to go back for a pole. Much less finish navigating without one. It is amazing how it effects your balance and position.

Much less self-arrest. Just did it the other day. The only reason I could grab the pole to stop was because the strap kept it right there.

I agree about going strapless makes one grip and hold too much upperbody tension. Hence part of my association with beginning skiers. But I can see that muscle memory takes over, and you hold the pole without thinking about it. Still, I think there is a refined, loose movement lost when the pole is too tightly held.

As for injury to the thumb: you can land on your thumb holding a pole regardless of the strap. In 50+ years of skiing I've had a hard fall on my thumb 2 times. And one of those times was on cross country skis. And as someone dependent on her hands for a living, I am careful. I opt for the overall safety and convenience on the hill. I agree that holding the strap under the hand allows you to drop the pole or shift the grip easily, and adds to saftey.

The break away straps were pretty popular for a while...haven't shopped for poles in a while. Still using the ole yellow Atomic poles I bought at Jackson 20 years ago. Nearly silver now, so much paint has been nicked off.

The plastic grips I avoid, because I put my hand on the top of the pole for hiking and skating on flats.

So I'll start watching the expert skiers for types of grips and use of straps. Also, I'll ask the Freestyle coaches and friends who do back country and heli. Interesting. A new perspective.

Jen

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
poles on piste

skiing on piste with your straps on is no big deal. Especially if you are pushing across flats or on traverses. It's truly in the backcountry
or in the trees where they become a problem. I have gotten out of the habit of skiing with them on at area because I do ski the trees alot and now that my daughter is skiing I do more yo-yoing than true backcountry skiing. I simply don't want to get caught in a tree well and need my arms to free myself or clear an air pocket to breath and realize that I forgot to take my straps off and I can't move my arms. Let alone the risk of snagging them.
Unfortunately I have heard that the break away straps are good for most situations except being stuck in a tree well ( the most common risk of tree skiing ). If you don't ski the trees frequently, yo-yo or ski in the backcountry, you are probably safe with them on and probably not in anymore immediate danger than you would be with them off. If you are skiing in the backcountry or deep snow and losing your poles from putting them in the snow too deeply, try a larger basket designed for deeper snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna