• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you think sock liners are necessary?

bettei

Certified Ski Diva
I was wondering if you girls wore the really thin socks under your regular ski socks to supposedly wick away the moisture? I have heard both sides, and wondered what you true skiers thought.

I know think socks are not good, but wondered about these. Are they necessary....do they help??

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope. Never used them. Use a ski sock that is wicking (like smartwool) and you should be good to go. If you find you sweat in your feet too much you might try spray on deodorant before putting your socks on.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I only wear thin socks. Ultralight Smart Wools, actually. Too much sock in your boot is not a good thing. It can interfere with your boot's fit, cause blisters and hot spots, and make your feet sweat too much which can make them colder. Oh, and I spray on anti-perspirant to keep my feet drier.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hiking=yes; skiing=no. Like Ski Diva, the only socks I wear are thin Smartwools. They do the wicking for you. Too much sock can lead to a lot of problems.

bettei

Certified Ski Diva
Well, thanks. I have been afraid not to wear them, and be stuck on the mountain with cold feet. And I have sprayed my feet with anti-perspirant too. It's funny how you don't think your feet are sweating until you feel inside your boots that evening.

We have started traveling with a boot dryer so we start out with dry boots everyday too.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only use polypropelene liners, not actual socks. Actually, I'd ski barefoot if I thought I could get my foot in and out of my boots without something slippery on. Oh, and I do rollerblade barefoot.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The wet inside the boot thing may be coming from leaking of the boot letting snow and moisture in from the outside as well.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only use polypropelene liners, not actual socks. Actually, I'd ski barefoot if I thought I could get my foot in and out of my boots without something slippery on. Oh, and I do rollerblade barefoot.
I was tempted to use knee-high nylons when I got new boots last year, until they packed out a little. :D

altagirl

Staff member
I'm the same way. Liner socks are the ONLY ski socks I ever use. My bootfitter insists that if you can fit a sock marketed as a ski sock (those padded things) rather than a liner sock in your boot - that means your boots don't fit. I tend to agree - I have some "light ski socks" that I wear when I'm just hiking and there is no way I can get them in my ski boots.

And I also speedskate barefoot.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I only wear Bridgedale's Microfit sock. It's liner-thin and I like it that way!

As far as I (and my bootfitter) am concerned, you can never be too thin when it comes to ski socks.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got some superthin Smartwool socks from my bootfitter. They are definitely thinner than any other socks I have, more like my cowboy boot socks (Never wear a thick sock with your cowboy boots, either). I've never seen them anywhere else and any other Smartwool sock is still thicker than them. I also sprinkle some "T for Toes" or "The Greench" powder from Lush on my feet before I put my socks on. I do that when I'm putting on my work boots, too. It does make a difference!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga