• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do You Have a Definite Style/Terrain Preference? Or Are You a "Master of None"?

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread. Kudos to the OP!

I ski mostly mid-Atlantic so my options are very limited. We had no bumps at all last season due to lack of snow, but I got to polish my pouring-rain-technique to perfection. Probably the most instructive few days I had consisted of executing "forced" turns to avoid the mud patches in Snowshoe, WV.

Fortunately, @marzNC and I share a great instructor at our home hill who has the skill and desire to show anyone how to learn and have fun in literally any condition. I skied a lot of slush and man-made ice w/him last year and actually learned oodles.

The one condition I truly HATE ---- that sticky man-made snow that stops you cold in your tracks. So, so dangerous. When it gets sticky I go in and maybe try again a bit later if the temp or humidity changes.

Re preferred conditions/terrain? I'll take whatever I can get. I love skiing out west, and even a bad snow year in CO or UT would be considered exceptional in the mid-Atlantic. I don't have a lot of experience in powder, so on serious powder days, I usually fork over the $$$ for a lesson. It has always been worth it and it gets me skiing terrain I wouldn't otherwise venture into on my own.

I enjoy blue and black groomers but I find that I get the most satisfaction from linking 3 or 4 good turns on a black bump run. It is an amazing day when I don't have to slow and regroup after a few turns, but that doesn't happen often enough (yet). I just don't get the opportunity to practice bumps at home. Drills are great and I dedicate hours to pivot slips, etc. but, unfortunately, drills can't teach you how to pick a line. I'm an inveterate turn shopper in the bumps. One great tip I learned in a bumps clinic a few years ago, however, was "never stop." It is fine to slow, do a falling leaf to reorient, or traverse a bump or two, but never come to a full stop. I loved that advice.

I have 3 trips planned this season: (i) Snowshoe WV in January (ii) Steamboat in February, and (iii) Revelstoke, BC in March. All 3 are six days of skiing. The remainder of my season will be local, so I'm praying to the weather gods.
Better rent some 108mm+ skis if there's fresh snow at Revy!

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I skied the Tasman Glacier a couple of years ago they (the guiding company) put me on some 108's, once I got used to them they were ok but I could've easily skied it and been happier on my BP 88's I think the 108's were a bit of an overkill as it was corn skiing !
View attachment 21813
Corn skiing is for sure more fun on narrow skis!

Reactions: AJM

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think at this point of my skiing I prefer off piste skiing, bumps, trees, bowls nad steeps. I even started skiing some chutes a few years ago. High speed groomer cruising can be fun with good snow or if it's a corduroy first thing in the morning, but ultimately I crave variety that off piste skiing provides. I am not great at skiing powder, but I love skiing powder and want to improve my powder skiing skills.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
It’s also way harder here in our heavier snow! I’m not good at it anywhere, but it’s definitely easier in super light dry snow in the West when I’ve been lucky enough to ski it. Lots of heavy “powder” in the East can be utterly exhausting to me once tracked out.
Exactly! And my only out west ski experience was at Whistler where the powder was also very heavy! Looking forward to some fluffy champagne pow in Steamboat!!

Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga