• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do You Have a Definite Style/Terrain Preference? Or Are You a "Master of None"?

RandomSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I am just curious, how many of you would say you have extremely strong skill and preferences for one type of skiing? And how many prefer to dabble and play around with a bunch of different types of terrain and styles, never being too concerned with excelling at any one area? Do you buy a variety of gear for different conditions, or do you make an effort to refine your quiver for optimal performance for your preferred style?

I am the advanced intermediate who enjoys a bit of everything, but does nothing amazingly well. I ski everything on the mountain because it is there and in my path, vs. seeking out one terrain. I love all snow except ice. I have great technique, when I choose to apply it. You might also see me lazlily cruising a green with zero technique at all. I rarely do the same run twice in a day.

How many of you are like me and sort of just do whatever on the mountain and how many ski with intent?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski day is mostly on piste skiing. If the snowfall is abundant I will go intentionally to those runs with powder or chopped up powder, not because I enjoy it , but because I need to work on the skills that will enable me to enjoy it. My day also may be varied due to the people with whom I may be skiing. I'm game for trying new things as the unexpected challenges can only help me develop management of fear and hopefully allow me to relax and take things as they come; and having that side-slipping skill ready to use when needed. My preference for groomed or ungroomed piste is mostly because I love the way it feels, particularly with fresh snow. Like skiing on velvet, effortless. And I like speed. Having great carving skis enhances the experience. I have skis for different conditions if I want to use them. However I kind of prefer sticking to my most favorite skis ; like a relationship that weathers what life throws into it.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a really good topic.

I recall a day, back when I lived in Michigan, I looked down a short 5 turn bump run at Crystal Mountain and said, "I'll never ski those!"
Fast forward 20 years later and I seek out moguls and steeps.
I do like a nice groomer when its time to carve like I'm making a jack-0-lantern but powder, trees and mogusl are my preference.IMG_1592.jpeg

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a master of none, who goes through multi season stretches focusing on specific terrain or conditions, some of it dictated by the conditions. Those conditions are both external and sadly internal too, as in pains and aches.

I love having the fortune of gear specific to the type of skiing I suspect I will be doing on a given day.

The last few years were all about carving, speed and groomers. Before that I had a mogul phase and a steeps phase. Powder I can't quite choose. Trees have been the focus too. Park less so but even that entered my periphery for a couple of seasons.

I think the diversity of skiing styles and terrain are a blast and it seems that as the gear gets better and better it is so fun to revisit certain topics and areas and explore anew.

There is nothing wrong with being a Renaissance woman doing it all, or falling for a very specific aspect of the sport. It is all about the size of the smiles at the end of the day!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... I rarely do the same run twice in a day. ...

This jumped out at me because I will literally ski the same run 10 times in a row if it's fun and skiing good. I tend to stick to my favorites at mountains I know well.

Just this past season I made an effort to mix it up and ski lines I don't normally ski, starting, say, skier's left in a given section and just working my way across. I did ski some fun spots but I am slightly embarrassed to say I haven't added any new favorites to the rotation yet.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This jumped out at me because I will literally ski the same run 10 times in a row if it's fun and skiing good. I tend to stick to my favorites at mountains I know well.

Just this past season I made an effort to mix it up and ski lines I don't normally ski, starting, say, skier's left in a given section and just working my way across. I did ski some fun spots but I am slightly embarrassed to say I haven't added any new favorites to the rotation yet.
My motto is...
Don't leave good snow to try to find other good snow.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My motto is...
Don't leave good snow to try to find other good snow.
I agree! If I find a great spot on the mountain, and especially if it’s an uncrowded spot.. I’ll keep skiing it until I get sick of it or too many others discover it. This happens often on powder days, there are a few trails on a certain peak at Sunday River that I have somehow found with no one there multiple times, and then come back again and again moving to the side of my previous tracks. Can’t beat it!

My focus for quite awhile now has been to improve in bumps and trees. Though I am most interested in bumps in general. And I have improved, but still have plenty left to improve on as well. This is what I love about skiing because you never get bored, but it can also be frustrating to work at something so much and not improve as much as you would hope in a season. Since I mostly ski in the East I also have a desire to be able to ski all conditions in off piste terrain eventually as well, so I get a lot of “good for me” but not necessarily “good” skiing in too haha. I will practice the icy bumps no one else is on, I will go out in the pouring rain, I will go out when it is 30 below zero, etc. I see some skiers who can ski bumps that are solid ice and look like it’s a soft perfect snow day.. that is my goal many many years into the future haha. We’ll see if I can ever reach it! I also love a freshly groomed run where I can open up and zoom. It’s all good.

I have a bunch of skis, but mostly use a couple of my favorite all around options and my ice day skis when it is too solid for them. They all need to be pretty functional all over.

RandomSkier

Certified Ski Diva

On my home mountains, I am lucky if I can get 12 runs in a day, so I just naturally switch it up. If I am with others and skiing more advanced terrain, sometimes necessity dictates that I do the same run 3-4 times until we move on to another area, but I just like to weave my way around, try the ones with fun names, get some variety.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tend to seek out where the best conditions are whether thats the groomers or off piste, my preference is always off piste but if its not skiing well I'll happily just hang out on the groomers.

I've always just had the one pair of ski's (all mountain) although next season I am going to branch out and get some carvers as well, I've been working on my technique for the last 2 seasons and its time I got the tools for the job !!

Like @MissySki I'll also happily ski the same run over and over if the snow is good and then go and find another run once it gets busy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
how many of you would say you have extremely strong skill and preferences for one type of skiing?
As a skier over 65, I enjoy any type of terrain after starting to take lessons fairly regularly after knee rehab a decade ago. I have fun at my home hill (Massanutten in northern VA) where a long run takes 3 min just as much as at a destination resort after a deep powder storm.

you buy a variety of gear for different conditions, or do you make an effort to refine your quiver for optimal performance for your preferred style?
While I own more than one pair of skis, that's mostly because I'm lucky enough to ski in more than one region. For the east (mostly southeast, mid-Atlantic) I'm currently using the Volkl Yumi. For big mountain skiing out west I have all-mountain skis that are 85 underfoot. I used to rent when there was a powder storm but bought a pair of powder skis from a Utah Diva several years ago. The powder skis live with my primary ski buddy who lives in NM so I don't have to lug them around an airport.

And how many prefer to dabble and play around with a bunch of different types of terrain and styles, never being too concerned with excelling at any one area?
I started taking lessons from very experienced instructors to get better at bumps and trees not because I wanted to excel, but because becoming a confident advanced skier by age 60 meant that I could enjoy more types of terrain even in lousy weather and visibility. That's especially useful on busy days (weekends) or when exploring a new destination resort after flying for a ski trip planned months in advance. My ski buddies are mostly retired advanced skiers.

As I learned more of the subtle skills, I realized that 15-20 years ago I was an adventurous intermediate. I would stick to groomed trails during spring break trips to Alta with my daughter, with perhaps one adventure run off-piste in the morning with a friend who was a much better skier. By the time my daughter was 11, she was a far better skier than I was because of ski school at our home hill and a few times at Alta.

I've learned a number of sports in my lifetime, including a few as an adult. Always liked getting to an intermediate level with the help of a coach at school or a few lessons but never felt the need to go beyond that.

I rarely do the same run twice in a day.
Unless I'm in tourist mode exploring a new resort, I much prefer doing long runs off-piste (more than 5 min to finish) more than once if practical. The first time I'm more cautious and testing snow conditions, even if it's terrain I'm quite familiar with but haven't skied yet that day. That caution can apply to groomed trails when there is potential for icy patches. The second time, I know what to expect so am more likely to ski non-stop these days. I may take a similar line, or I may do something completely different. It's all about the fun!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I relate to the dabbling and not focusing on excelling as I am one of the least competitive people I know!

I am in my late 50s, grew up skiing in VT and then took 25 years off from skiing after moving out of state for work to a state where skiing takes more effort to travel to. I couldn't fathom driving 45 minutes to a small mountain or 3 hours to a decent one - who would do that?! Long story short, it turned out I would, lol. It just took our daughter wanting to learn and voila we ended-up being a skiing family.

Up until the last couple of years I had not had any formal instruction and my improvement came by being watchful and skiing with others whose skills I admire. The last two seasons I participated in a seasonal group instruction at my home mountain, and then Diva West in Taos with the instruction week was fantastic. What I love about the group instruction that I have done is it takes me into terrain I may be hesitant to try on my own while also expanding my opportunity to ski with others that kick a$$ in varied terrain!

After a groomer or two warm-up, my preference is for un-groomed, but as a New England skier the conditions are a bit of a dictator! When I ski groomers with my "groomer zoomer" ski friends I stick to the edges/berms in search of terrain that makes me smile. Drawback is that they are waiting for me, but depending on who I ski with they all wait for me anyway, lol. Speed is not my thing!

My home mountain has quite a bit of terrain so depending on where we are in the season I wouldn't have to ski the same run twice. That said, if a run has great snow, I will lap it especially if I am skiing solo or with a ski friend that prefers the same kind of terrain as me.

I am a gear gal so have a quiver, but I gravitate towards a couple pairs that give me the most joy in the terrain I prefer. That said, there are days that conditions make the choice for me! I have a ski that handles firm groomers well, and that is even fun in the bumps, but I do revert back to my faves when things soften up.

I will practice the icy bumps no one else is on, I will go out in the pouring rain, I will go out when it is 30 below zero
^^ I often ski with her and she does! There are those that push my terrain comfort zone, but another that pushes my conditions comfort zone, lol :love:

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
In this phase of life, my choice of terrain is pretty well dictated by those that I'm skiing with! Usually my kids...who usually prefer the blue groomers, but ventured onto some blacks and low-angle bumps towards the end of last year. Sometimes with my parents who are in their late 70s, who definitely look for chill runs with a strong preference to low crowds. Occasionally with my brother without the kids, and then we get a chance to open up a bit and do a few more challenging runs.

Part of me wants to be a better skier and get better at bumps, off-piste, etc. But I'm really Type-A and I worry that I'll "need" to apply the same sense of achievement towards skiing as I do towards other things. And I think that has the potential to ruin my enjoyment of it. Part of the reason I ski is to spend time with my family with no other distractions. I know that if I'm focused on improving my technique flaws that I may not be able to focus as much on them. I may be better off not knowing for now.

I also know that I don't want to be stressed/scared AT ALL while skiing. I could push myself on harder terrain if I would tolerate a little bit of discomfort, but right now I have enough stress in life, I need skiing to just be relaxing.

But all phases of life are transient, so we will see how my attitude changes in a few years! I expect my kids will get better and then maybe I'll need to up my game to keep up with them.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I am just curious, how many of you would say you have extremely strong skill and preferences for one type of skiing? And how many prefer to dabble and play around with a bunch of different types of terrain and styles, never being too concerned with excelling at any one area? Do you buy a variety of gear for different conditions, or do you make an effort to refine your quiver for optimal performance for your preferred style?

I am the advanced intermediate who enjoys a bit of everything, but does nothing amazingly well. I ski everything on the mountain because it is there and in my path, vs. seeking out one terrain. I love all snow except ice. I have great technique, when I choose to apply it. You might also see me lazlily cruising a green with zero technique at all. I rarely do the same run twice in a day.

How many of you are like me and sort of just do whatever on the mountain and how many ski with intent?
I feel like I could have almost written this post. I'm so glad you started this thread, because I needed to hear a lot of what's in it. I, like you, rarely ski the same trail twice. I also rarely visit the same mountain more than a couple of times (Indy Pass is perfect for me), unless it's huge. I have no idea why. I love all terrain (except ice, of course, but even enjoyed a bit ice after switching skis one year), especially the "twisty-turny" runs, but have found myself gravitating toward the trees in recent years, which can only mean moguls are up next, right?

Love all the info in these posts!

mustski

Angel Diva
I am definitely developing a love for moguls and trees, but not necessarily together. That’s what I’m working towards. I’m a very confident groomer skier because that is where I have the most experience, but I get bored skiing the same groomers over and over. Moguls and trees offer much more variety in possible ski lines; now I just need to improve my technique. But - yeah - master of none.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am intrigued by those separating out bumps from skiing trees. Where I ski, most often the trees are bumped up. So I’ve focused more on bumps skiing because it translates into the trees too in my area anyway. But for the most part the trees have bumps unless it’s a powder day that filled them in, or extremely flat where it doesn’t bump as much. So can’t ski trees much without skiing bumps too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm going to look for you (from the lift) on Agony ;) Where I definitely won't be skiing!
Haha! One thing I don’t love is skiing under the lift. I do it, but not my first choice. Especially Agony because it often has too many rocks and pipes poking out that you just looked at in great detail on the lift ride up. Last season was also so sketchy with all of the tree cutting debris they left on skier’s left. I was convinced I was going to see someone catch a ski tip under the thinly covered wood and break a leg. :fear:

I have also skied Agony when it’s awesome.. wish we’d get more natural snow to make it so more often. I am okay with ice, but if you have sheer ice, rocks, and pipes all together more often than not.. definitely not as appealing when low tide haha. I’d rather stick to Oz without the lift audience for that stuff. Seems Agony might get friendlier after the widening for Barker chair though. Carumba under Jordan chair certainly did. Before they put in the new chair there I had only skied Carumba from the top once. I love the trail further down, but the entrance was so intimidating and often had too much rock for me so I would always go to it from the trees on Rogue and not from the top. I did it when the first few turns were sketchy, but quite good after that. Last season trying it after the regrading.. wow what a difference! It was fabulous the day I skied it, but I am glad I got up the nerve to ski it the old way even though it was only once. I do the seasonal adult program at Sunday River, and they are the ones who have gotten me into a lot of terrain there that I didn’t used to venture into alone before a few years ago.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki You have trees and bumps together mostly, while we have steeps and bumps together always, as only the runs too steep to groom develop the bumps. Of course big dumps means steeps without bumps. We definitely have many treed areas that are bumpy as well but not all and some have a more luge like feel to them than bumps as the turns are so tight and predetermined.

I love the different associations that are terrain and resort based. Wish I could get out and explore more areas and develop different skill blends.

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
Haha! One thing I don’t love is skiing under the lift. I do it, but not my first choice. Especially Agony because it often has too many rocks and pipes poking out that you just looked at in great detail on the lift ride up. Last season was also so sketchy with all of the tree cutting debris they left on skier’s left. I was convinced I was going to see someone catch a ski tip under the thinly covered wood and break a leg. :fear:

For sure! My brother broke a few ribs on Absolutely 2 years ago by hitting a root. Last year a lot of those type of trails never really got great cover. Hopefully this year will be better.

To relate back to the OP's question, I should have added that I am VERY physical injury risk averse, and that effects my choice of terrain as well.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am intrigued by those separating out bumps from skiing trees. Where I ski, most often the trees are bumped up. So I’ve focused more on bumps skiing because it translates into the trees too in my area anyway. But for the most part the trees have bumps unless it’s a powder day that filled them in, or extremely flat where it doesn’t bump as much. So can’t ski trees much without skiing bumps too.
In a big season like last year, there were plenty of bumps in the trees. They get filled in and then bumped again really quickly. The trees I go into aren't as steep as some of the runs I'm willing to ski so the bumps aren't as challenging as the bumps on runs. My most disliked kind of run is narrowly spaced trees with big bumps and deep, lugey ruts! I don't like skiing where I feel forced to follow someone else's line. I would much rather a steep bowl like run with big bumps. I feel like I have plenty of choices and can make a poor choice and correct easily. That said, under chairlifts feel threatening to me. I don't like being watched.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga