• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you go skiing even if you know it's going to be crappy?

They're firing up the guns again at Mount Snow... I am astounded, but grateful.

They are a using something called a renovator when grooming tonight also. Whatever the hell that is...

I am developing much love for Mount Snow. I am buying a season pass for next season...............................

A little birdie told me there's a special going live tomorrow relating to the pass.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jeff ran into the aftermath of the renovator up on Thanks Walt. It was wall-to-wall death cookies. I'd warned him that can happen on that run, but he felt like he really accomplished something in getting down that run in one piece. Another day or two and it will be back to New England Powder: 2" of pulverized ice chips on top of a sheet of ice. Be fun then. :smile:

The pass prices were INSANE. I upgraded to the no-blackout seven-mountain pass and paid less than I did for my one-mountain, 12-day blackout pass last year.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I usually go because only really horrible or cold weather would stop me...BUT weather forecasting here is SO bad that you almost never have any idea what is waiting for you at the mountain...as they say about Environment Canada: "Cloudy with a change of making s*** up!"

Today was supposed to be cloudy, thick fog and then turning to snow. I went and I got this:

IMG_0069.JPG

mustski

Angel Diva
I like what altagirl said. For me, crap is : Icy hardpack, breakable crust, really really heavy crud, rain, snain. Anything else is mostly a go.
Ditto. I love skiing in blizzards but not in rain. I have a season pass and will try it out in the morning no matter what. The conditions GG mentions will usually send me home.

Nothing like heading off on a ski trip to someplace where the forecast is iffy (Saturday, Sun Valley) when it's like this at home:

12768169_10153342282115598_5115667819310869267_o.jpg
I am totally feeling you. We have had nothing here since the first week of Feb. I am sitting in the airport on my way to CO for a week with little snow forecast. Meanwhile, CA is getting a "parade of storms!"

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, for scheduled trips, no choice but to go... sigh...

Next week, I have a choice between snain-and-wind and rain-without-wind. Going for the latter.

Love the word snain. Learned the word snud today. Near end of season when snow gets wet near dirt , you get a snow/mud combo called snud :smile:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IDK what it is out west, and I'm gathering from the discussion here that it means something totally different to you western Divas. In the East, there is one, and exactly one meaning to "frozen granular": it's ice. Nothing but ice, and not going to turn into anything else during the day, just ice.

Frozen granular is how ski areas report any kind of ice. It's not a special kind of ice, and it's not limited to any particular phase of the snow cycle. It just means "ice". When you see it in a snow report, and ski areas in the East darned well better be reporting it, it's a gear and safety issue, you have to use a bunch of contextual clues to understand what it means. If it's rained and then the temperature has dropped, you're going to get "machine groomed frozen granular" which means death cookies for a day or two, and then it means 2" of pulverized ice chips on a surface of hardpack or boilerplate. If it hasn't rained, but it just hasn't snowed, then it means that you're getting the ice chips + hardpack (or as I think of it, New England Powder). Depending on atmospheric conditions, it might mean frozen cord, which is a really sucky surface. If it's snowed recently and you've got a couple of inches of fresh-ish snow sitting on top of hardpack, you'll get a snow report of packed powder/frozen granular.

Loose granular is not what happens when frozen gran gets groomed. Loose gran is what happens when frozen gran starts the melt-refreeze cycle, and it's basically like the stuff you get in a sno-cone. Loose gran does not usually go to mashed potatoes or the sticky snow - that's something that happens to a surface that was recently packed powder. What loose gran turns into if it changes during the day (which it usually does, since that's a spring condition here), it turns into slush, not anything else. Stuff strips the wax right off your skis, too.

This is quite possibly the best description I've ever heard of the term. Congrats Serafina! I also tend to define our eastern conditions using my teeth. If I'm in danger of losing fillings, I'm skiing "frozen granular."

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm on a trip away then I always go out even if it's miserable and even of it's only for a couple of hours. At home I'm much more of a fair weather skier. That might change as the trip that has just ended involved lots of powder days in marginal visibility which really helped me to listen to my feet. Just glad I only had one occasion to look for a ski when you fall. I double ejected and one ski stayed where it was and the other sailed past me into the mist.I watched it until it disappeared and luckily it was only about 100 metres down the slope. We were skiing heavy off piste snow at the time and the walk really warmed me up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga