• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Do new skis need to be tuned?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Th
Don’t worry; rusty edges are common; it’s hard to keep moisture completely at bay. All you need is a gummi stone. Just rub the edges with the gummi and the rust will come right off.
A trick for summer storage is to coat the edges with wax before you put them in storage.
Thanks, they have moved to behind the couch in the movie room. Lol. I was also curious about if and when skis need to be tuned. I remember being around 6 or 7 yr old watching my older brothers wax their skis.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi. Not sure anyone is following this post anymore but I could use some help. I noticed that my edges on my dynastar legends are a bit rusty looking. I also only have about 10 ski days on them. These are my first skis since the 80’s and I was told by the owner of the local shop that I would not have to do any maintenance. Hmmmmm should I get them tuned? Or just clean them up? I am a newbie and do not know. Thanks!
Oh they were dried for a few days, wiped and stored in an open bag....don’t hate me, in the dry basement.
Just clean them up. Rust is wipeable. You should do some maintenance on skis, like waxing, but you can get the shop to do that as needed if you're not keen on DIY.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....These are my first skis since the 80’s and I was told by the owner of the local shop that I would not have to do any maintenance. Hmmmmm should I get them tuned? Or just clean them up? I am a newbie and do not know. Thanks!
Oh they were dried for a few days, wiped and stored in an open bag....don’t hate me, in the dry basement.
All skis need maintenance. I am surprised the shop owner said that.

Rust is not a problem unless it's deep pits. Hard snow will even brush it off after a few runs. I never worry about the rust on my edges. But I store them in a dry place to avoid those deep pits.

If you ski on New England hard snow, you'll need to get the side edges sharpened somewhat regularly so the skis will grip properly. Our ice (referred to as "frozen granular" on the snow reports), that loud snow underfoot, will dull the edges on any ski. That hard snow will also scrape the wax off the bases of the skis, leaving a visible gray look to the bottoms.

Both of these snow-created changes will impact how the skis interact with the snow. You'll come to feel the difference between a newly-tuned ski and one that hasn't seen a tune in a while.

So your new skis, at some point, will need a tune that involves two things: waxing and sharpening. All skis will need this but the snow and how you ski makes a difference in when.

How often you'll need to tune them is something you will determine on your own. Ski them when this season starts for a few days, then get them tuned (waxed and edges sharpened), then ski them again. Feel how different they ski. If you can perceive a difference and like it, then get them tuned again when those new sensations diminish. It may take you a while to get sensitive to the changes resulting from a new tune since you are a beginner. But know this: sharp edges are especially nice on hard New England snow.

There are other things that a shop might need to do to your skis over time to bring them back to optimal performance. But a simple tune, with side edges sharpened and bases waxed, is the standard thing.

When you take them to a shop for this first tune, tell them you want edges sharpened and bases waxed. Then ask them to look at them to see if this is all they need. Wait while the shop technician looks at them. If they say a "base grind" is also needed, trust them and ask why so you'll know what this is all about, them pay them and get it done. Shops don't usually do this while you wait, so be aware you'll be without your skis for a bit, maybe over a weekend, when you leave them. Base grinds are sometimes needed, but not usually more than once a season, and not always that often. It depends on how you ski and what the snow underfoot is like.

Also, when you get this first tune, ask them what the two bevels are on the edges. There's a base bevel and a side bevel. You need to know what the base bevel is (they won't be changing that unless the do a base grind). It's usually 1. And you'll need to know what the side bevel is. It may be 2. (Sometimes skiers change the two bevels to get a sharper edge. Beginners don't usually do this, though.)

Once you know these two bevels, you will need to tell every shop in the future to keep the bevels the same. You will get used to the 1-2 profile (or whatever it is) of your edges and won't want a shop worker to simply change them for who-knows-what-reason without ever telling you. This sometimes happens, and you'll feel the difference and think it's your skiing that has changed if you are not in control of the bevels.

Enjoy those new skis!

Last edited:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Rust is not a problem unless it's deep pits. Hard snow will even brush it off after a few runs. I never worry about the rust on my edges. But I store them in a dry place to avoid those deep pits.

If you ski on New England hard snow, you'll need to get the side edges sharpened somewhat regularly so the skis will grip properly. Our ice (referred to as "frozen granular" on the snow reports), that loud snow underfoot, will dull the edges on any ski. That hard snow will also scrape the wax off the bases of the skis, leaving a visible gray look to the bottoms.

Both of these snow-created changes will impact how the skis interact with the snow. You'll come to feel the difference between a newly-tuned ski and one that hasn't seen a tune in a while.

So your new skis, at some point, will need a tune that involves two things: waxing and sharpening. All skis will need this but the snow and how you ski makes a difference in when.

How often you'll need to tune them is something you will determine on your own. Ski them when this season starts for a few days, then get them tuned (waxed and edges sharpened), then ski them again. Feel how different they ski. If you can perceive a difference and like it, then get them tuned again when those new sensations diminish. It may take you a while to get sensitive to the changes resulting from a new tune since you are a beginner. But know this: sharp edges are especially nice on hard New England snow.

There are other things that a shop might need to do to your skis over time to bring them back to optimal performance. But a simple tune, with side edges sharpened and bases waxed, is the standard thing.

When you take them to a shop for this first tune, tell them you want edges sharpened and bases waxed. Then ask them to look at them to see if this is all they need. Wait while the shop technician looks at them. If they say a "base grind" is also needed, trust them and ask why so you'll know what this is all about, them pay them and get it done. Shops don't usually do this while you wait, so be aware you'll be without your skis for a bit, maybe over a weekend, when you leave them. Base grinds are sometimes needed, but not usually more than once a season, and not always that often. It depends on how you ski and what the snow underfoot is like.

Also, when you get this first tune, ask them what the two bevels are on the edges. There's a base bevel and a side bevel. You need to know what the base bevel is (they won't be changing that unless the do a base grind). It's usually 1. And you'll need to know what the side bevel is. It may be 2. (Sometimes skiers change the two bevels to get a sharper edge. Beginners don't usually do this, though.)

Once you know these two bevels, you will need to tell every shop in the future to keep the bevels the same. You will get used to the 1-2 profile (or whatever it is) of your edges and won't want a shop worker to simply change them for who-knows-what-reason without ever telling you. This sometimes happens, and you'll feel the difference and think it's your skiing that has changed if you are not in control of the bevels.

Enjoy those new skis!
This is exactly what I was looking for. Love the Ski Diva women! Thank you.

MissySki

Angel Diva
He

Wanted to sell skis to me. Lol. I think everything needs maintenance especially me. ;)
Thank you for the input.

I just don't like when people conduct business that way.. They should be educating people on the minimum that needs to be done, not trying to sell them an impossibility.

Luckily the SkiDiva is here for these questions! :smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a product that can be applied to the bases of skis that promises you'll never have to wax them again. You pay dearly for this, but it has somewhat good reviews. The product is Phantom Wax. @skinnyfootskis, did you get this applied to your new skis when you bought them? If you did, that would explain the owner's statement partly. You'd probably know you had this product added to your skis. I think it runs about $200 these days, but I may be wrong.

The sharpness of those metal edges will still need to be maintained over the life of your skis. Simply sharpening to maintain those two bevels is still called a "tune." And there's still the possibility of a base grind being needed.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There's a product that can be applied to the bases of skis that promises you'll never have to wax them again. You pay dearly for this, but it has somewhat good reviews. The product is Phantom Wax. @skinnyfootskis, did you get this applied to your new skis when you bought them? If you did, that would explain the owner's statement partly. You'd probably know you had this product added to your skis. I think it runs about $200 these days, but I may be wrong.

The sharpness of those metal edges will still need to be maintained over the life of your skis. Simply sharpening to maintain those two bevels is still called a "tune." And there's still the possibility of a base grind being needed.

I have Phantom on a pair of my skis, I love it but it does not make the overall ski maintenance free at all..

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have Phantom on a pair of my skis, I love it but it does not make the overall ski maintenance free at all..
Yep, still need to store skis properly during the off-season. Also need to think about edges, but how much depends on where and how often the skis are used. For the skis I used mainly at small ski hills in the southeast on manmade snow, I get the edges sharpened every year or two. Usually use them 14-20 days but those are short days with relatively little time actually making turns because of the lift ride time to skiing time ratio. For the skis I only use on soft snow out west, I may not get the edges sharpened for a few years.

All DPS Phantom on bases changes is the need for regular waxing of the bases. Whether that is needed daily, every few days, or every week or so of use depending on snow conditions.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Ha, my skis were very inexpensive so no I have not done anything to them. I only have skied maybe 8 times, none last year. Thank you for the information. I kind of knew they would need some work eventually.

newboots

Angel Diva
@skinnyfootskis - The ski shop where I work is having a special on Phantom ($99) that is ending Sunday. PM me if you want to know what shop. I'm trying not to advertise here. Depending on where you are, it's not far from Connecticut, right off I-84.

Last edited:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Enjoy those new skis!
So I noticed an ad for one of the local shops...sharpen and bevel edges with a Reichmann edge tuner, grind base, minor repairs and hot wax by Wintersteiger wax jet. I would think that the machines do quick work, but not the same as a done by hand? Any opinion?
I am looking at tune/wax forums...so much valuable information here. Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You do NOT need a base grind unless the bases are really a scraped-up, gouged mess. A pair of skis can only withstand about three base grinds in its lifetime before they lose too much material. Don't let the shop talk you into that unless you're sure you need it (most likely at the end of a season).

Edge sharpening is up to you how often you want to do it, as others have said. You can run your finger lightly over the sides and bases of the edges and see how nicked they are and whether you think they need sharpening. If you think it's impacting performance, e.g.

Yes, hand-waxing last longer than the quick coat a machine applies.

I treated one pair of skis with DPS Phantom and just my subjective experience, but I've been underwhelmed by it.

I used to be really diligent about waxing and tuning my skis because I had a workshop space and it was fun to do. Now I don't have the space to do much of anything with my skis myself and I've become downright slovenly and inattentive toward them.

I miss my workshop, but tbh I don't really notice much difference in my skis and how they perform, (and I spend more time on snow now than I used to). I switch between three pairs of skis, two of which at any given time are sitting haphazardly in the back of my station wagon, usually accompanied by a snowboard, snowshoes and various boots all banging around back there.

In short, you can be as attentive as you want toward your skis; you won't destroy them by letting them get rusty or nicked. If money's a concern, you can buy a waxing kit and some tuning supplies and do things yourself, which will save you $$ in the long term. But even if you go to a shop for everything, it's good to be well-informed, since sometimes the "tuning" at resorts is done by the rental-shop staff and other non-experts. They'll be more careful with your equipment if they know that you know what you're talking about.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You do NOT need a base grind unless the bases are really a scraped-up, gouged mess. A pair of skis can only withstand about three base grinds in its lifetime before they lose too much material. Don't let the shop talk you into that unless you're sure you need it (most likely at the end of a season).
Is it really true you can only get a ski ground 3 times?? I know there’s a life to the base, but I thought it was a bit more than that.

Jilly

Staff member
I know my Z5's went well beyond that number. But it would depend on the way the grind is done. My guy does a stone grind by hand. He can control the pressure on the stone, so not much material is removed. The automatic machines might not.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3 base grinds is an awfully low number. I am quite suspicious of that advice.

A good rule of thumb is do a base grind once a season --- but only if it's needed. It will be needed if you ever change the base bevel on the edges. It will be needed if the patterned structure you can see in the base material needs to be tweaked. If you ski over a rock and it cuts a big gouge in the base, that requires a repair to fill the hole. The shop technician who does this repair may or may not suggest a base grind to bring the bottom back to flat. If the base is not flat all the way across from outside edge of one metal edge to the other (something that sometimes is the case with brand new in-plastic skis!!), a base grind is definitely required. he base may be concave or convex. Each of these is a big problem. That base needs to be genuinely flat in order for the skis to turn and grip properly. A bad tune by a clumsy technician can also cause this problem, as can skiing on ice with intermediate skills for years without getting any tunes.

But as a normal part of your tuning schedule, nope, don't do a base grind. A base grind removes material from the bottom of the skis, the black part as well as the metal edges. So it thins a ski. Eventually enough base grinds (I'd think far more than three - see the video below) will thin the skis enough to make them limp, and you'll notice this as you ski. The skis will behave poorly, as if they are just too tired to do anything athletic. They will be "dead."

The video below made an impression on me years ago. This guy grinds a snowboard until it's gone. I don't know if a snowboard is the same thickness as a pair of skis, but assuming they are similar in thickness, this video will answer the question about how many grinds a ski can take. You'll be surprised.

He grinds for 2.5 hours non stop with 250 passes and still not close to hitting core.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, sorry if I exaggerated; I had the number 3 in my mind for some reason. The point was to suggest that it's not something you should get done routinely.

I actually think that everyone who owns skis should think about owning a true bar; concave skis can really mess up your skiing, and that is definitely a reason for a base grind. I don't think people realize that skis that are brand-new can be concave.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Edge sharpening is up to you how often you want to do it, as others have said. You can run your finger lightly over the sides and bases of the edges and see how nicked they are and whether you think they need sharpening. If you think it's impacting performance, e.g.

Yes, hand-waxing last longer than the quick coat a machine applies.

I treated one pair of skis with DPS Phantom and just my subjective experience, but I've been underwhelmed by it.

I used to be really diligent about waxing and tuning my skis because I had a workshop space and it was fun to do. Now I don't have the space to do much of anything with my skis myself and I've become downright slovenly and inattentive toward them.

I miss my workshop, but tbh I don't really notice much difference in my skis and how they perform, (and I spend more time on snow now than I used to). I switch between three pairs of skis, two of which at any given time are sitting haphazardly in the back of my station wagon, usually accompanied by a snowboard, snowshoes and various boots all banging around back there.

In short, you can be as attentive as you want toward your skis; you won't destroy them by letting them get rusty or nicked. If money's a concern, you can buy a waxing kit and some tuning supplies and do things yourself, which will save you $$ in the long term. But even if you go to a shop for everything, it's good to be well-informed, since sometimes the "tuning" at resorts is done by the rental-shop staff and other non-experts. They'll be more careful with your equipment if they know that you know what you're talking about.
Wow, thank you so much. I kinda want to see the back of your vehicle now.

newboots

Angel Diva
I switch between three pairs of skis, two of which at any given time are sitting haphazardly in the back of my station wagon, usually accompanied by a snowboard, snowshoes and various boots all banging around back there.

Wow! I only have one pair of skis in the back of my car!

(For Big Snow in NJ)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga