• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Do I really need skiing-specific jacket/pants?

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi divas!
I just got into skiing this winter and am hooked. My question is, do I really need to shell out the cash for a ski jacket and ski pants if my rain jacket (lightweight with pit vents) and rain pants over warm layers works OK? What's the difference between a "shell" ski jacket and a rain shell?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm diving into a whole 'nother gear world here...

Christy

Angel Diva
That's what I wore when I started, since I didn't know if I'd keep it up. Ultimately those items just weren't enough for me--I wanted insulated pants and an insulated coat to wear over my base layers. But you can just keep wearing those and if you encounter conditions where they just don't stand up to the weather, then consider buying more specific gear.

One nice thing about a "real" ski coat or a ski shell is the amount and type of pockets (a pocket on your sleeve for an RFID card, a clip to hang a lift ticket from, a chest pocket for chapstick, a phone pocket, etc). Unlike hikers who generally have backpacks skiers tend to need to store things on their bodies. So there are some reasons ski specific gear can be more appropriate. A ski shell also generally will have a hood that fits over your helmet, which is super nice on snowy windy days. A lot of the rain shells marketed to hikers focus on lightweight, and so forego the bells and whistles (pockets, etc) plus the room that a ski shell usually has. I can almost retreat into my Patagonia Powder Bowl (ski) coat like a turtle in bad weather, whereas my rain/hiking shell is much more minimalist. It doesn't even really keep rain off my face. My ski "shell" actually does have an insulated layer, which of course my rain shell does not.

But again, if it works for you, why spend the money.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi divas!
I just got into skiing this winter and am hooked. My question is, do I really need to shell out the cash for a ski jacket and ski pants if my rain jacket (lightweight with pit vents) and rain pants over warm layers works OK? What's the difference between a "shell" ski jacket and a rain shell?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm diving into a whole 'nother gear world here...
Fun sliding on snow, isn't it? :smile:

Would help to know what region you are going to ski the most in the near future. What is enough for the Mid-Atlantic is not likely to work that well in the northeast.

The most important clothing purchase is a couple pairs of ski socks that are both long enough for ski boots and warm without being thick. I know people in the southeast who start with athletic socks, but they usually only ski for a couple weekends a season at most.

If I had to choose between ski pants and a ski jacket, I would start with the pants.

Are the rain pants actually waterproof? Or just water resistant? Breathable material?

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Would help to know what region you are going to ski the most in the near future. What is enough for the Mid-Atlantic is not likely to work that well in the northeast.

The most important clothing purchase is a couple pairs of ski socks that are both long enough for ski boots and warm without being thick. I know people in the southeast who start with athletic socks, but they usually only ski for a couple weekends a season at most.

If I had to choose between ski pants and a ski jacket, I would start with the pants.

Are the rain pants actually waterproof? Or just water resistant? Breathable material?

@marzNC, I should have given more info haha. I'm in Oregon, and ski in the Cascades. My rain pants are waterproof and breathable, with zips on the side that cooperate with ski boots. I'll look at ski socks, there should be some on sale this time of year at REI I hope!
@Christy ooooh useful pockets are my weakness.... thanks for the tips!

newboots

Angel Diva
And Sierra Trading Post (coupon codes are posted on theskidiva.com regularly - search for the thread when you're ready to buy!), steepandcheap.com, and your local thrift store. You don't have to spend thousands, although it is Oh so easy! And if you're smart, you won't even look at the "I'm such a pants/jacket slut" threads on here. Enabling at its finest!

TJ Maxx and Marshall's get great deals on ski jackets and pants in early winter; they are bought up fast. Maybe bribe an employee to call you when it all arrives. :wink:

Tvan

Angel Diva
@GeoGirl - welcome to the forum!

The word “Need” is a slippery slope around here, and you will quickly see that we are expert enablers when it comes to all kinds of gear. Some of us may or may not have large quivers of skis, closets of jackets, and helmets for all occasions. And whatever you do, hide your credit card before wandering through the infamous Jacket Slut thread!

You have been forewarned! :wink:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you HAVE to invest in ski-specific gear? No, of course not.
Should you, at some point? Yes you should.

Ski-specific gear is high dollar gear because it must perform reliably though a larger range of conditions than most gear. We ski in temps from way below zero into the 60s and 70s. In conditions from bright sunshine through rain and puking snowstorms. But worst of all, through periods of intense activity (actually skiing) to periods of total inactivity (sitting on the chairlift), and we require temperature and moisture regulation through all of it.

Few types of gear will excel through that massive range of temps, activity, and conditions, and ski gear is specifically designed for that range. This means it usually has superior waterproofness and breathability to keep our core temps and moisture levels steady throughout the day, and ways to allow moisture to exit like extended pit or thigh zips. It usually also has pockets specific for ski gear, like goggle pockets, media pockets, hand warmer pockets, and often little extras like goggle wipes, key hooks, SAR whistles, RECCO patches, helmet-cut hoods, waterproof zippers with wind block, reinforcement in the knee and butt areas, soft material around the neck and face areas, and season pass/lift ticket attachments. It is usually also cut to allow the wide range of movements required while skiing without binding in key areas or riding up/sliding down around the waist area.

High end climbing or hiking gear will work with a variety of layers underneath. But once you've decided you really love skiing, you'll want to treat yourself to the gear that will allow you to be out there in the full range of ski conditions. Wear what you have and be on the lookout for the pieces that make your heart sing at the right price.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I echo what others said above.

I'd like to share my experience. When I first started out skiing ~8 years ago, I was not sure if I will like the sport so I invested minimum on ski clothing. My 1st set of ski jacket + pants from an outlet store for $20. I did not even have proper ski socks and base layers until 3rd year into skiing. By the time I made my 1st ski trip to a big resort (Killington), I know I like this sport enough so I bought myself ski socks and base layers.

Like you, I don't know much about ski clothing (including gloves) when I first started out. I would pay attention to what others wear on the slope, e.g. type of jackets, mid layers, pants and gloves. Each year, I would get myself 1 or 2 new item based on what I see others wear. Sometimes, I ask questions on a lift ride, if the person happens to be chatty or I see they wear something I liked....

Also, reading online forum discussions about ski clothing helps with the knowledge.

I don't like to accumulate things. I do try to get rid of an item when I get a new one (1 in, 1 out). At least I tried...

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
@GeoGirl : fair to say that there is a lot of knowledge among Divas about the options available for jackets and pants designed for skiing.

If you want to learn more about waterproof and breathable material, check out this thread. There is also info about how to take care of expensive jackets and pants so that they last longer and stay waterproof.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...hable-how-do-different-fabrics-compare.21072/
Thanks! That link really breaks down the mumbo-jumbo in the jacket spec section :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
These ladies can be quite the group of enablers. But....as Volklgirl has stated and others, you'll enjoy the sport better with the proper gear.

There are many site on line with deals. We have sticky on them. Also there are a lot of Canadian on line sites that ship to the US. Your money goes further.

And alison has some really sage advice. Pick up stuff each year. Don't go buy the whole kit right now. Also you will find that eventually you'll be looking a one major expense a year. One year skis, next year boots, another year a complete new ski suit. Then a trip. Think of a 4-5 year plan and that will help.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As others have said, as long as you are warm and dry it doesn't have to be ski-specific, but you will find ski-specific items to be more comfortable. It's ok to buy things a few items at a time - we all know it is expensive. Good ski socks and good gloves/mitts are must-have comfort items and would be my first purchases. In the meantime, try to wear things that are wind-resistant, at least moderately water-resistant, and not made of cotton (cotton retains water, whether from snow or sweat, so it gets heavy and cold quickly).

I was a mountaineer before I skied and started out using my mountaineering kit. That was fine on the move, but I was getting cold on the lifts - insulated ski outer wear is much better for this. I still use my mountaineering kit late in the season when it is warmer and when I am touring (insulated outers get way too hot when skinning!) and most of the clothing that goes under the outer layers is used indiscriminately for both activities.

I also use my ski jacket as a casual winter jacket - it is perfect for that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga