• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: do I REALLY need a SportTube or rigid ski container on Air Canada?

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have ever hung out by the oversize baggage check place, you'll never question whether or not to get a rigid case. I've seen SO many skis and snowboards just tossed on the belt with no care whatsoever. It literally made me cringe watching the handlers throw it all around. The Sport Tube is awesome. I also have the double and pack two pair of skis & poles, and usually a thermos or some other weird stuff and never had problems with weight restrictions.

Jilly

Staff member
When we went to Europe in the late 80's I would pack my skis in slim bag or the plastic bags they had at the time for travelling. That would go in the middle of the ski bag. Then I would pack the bulky stuff around them to protect them.

Now I've learn, just what I need for a week and can pack easily with the Sport tube, Atomic bag and carry on - Salomon Go-To-Ski. I have yet to a Transpack for sale in Canada.

Jilly

Staff member
Well SkiBam made it from Montreal out so......And the rule has been in effect since I went to Denver in 2009. It not something recent, been around for 7 years already.

vtgal7thgen

Certified Ski Diva
Happy to report that I was gifted a ski tube by my loving parents-so much better than some random gift I likely wouldn't use. Ready for Air Canada now, my skis and the kiddo's will be well protected. Now to decorate the tube and leave instructions for TSA on it so they can put it back together properly. ;)

alison wong

Angel Diva
Now to decorate the tube and leave instructions for TSA on it so they can put it back together properly. ;)
That's an excellent idea, never thought about decorations. I got a sports tube (series 2) on CL for $100. I know where I can put my Alta and Snowbird stickers now.
BTW, I believe Sports tube has an instructions sticker for TSA.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely a good idea to have at least a sticker or two. At some airports, such as SLC, there can be quite a few Sportubes arriving at the same time.

Note the string I have to keep the locking clip from getting lost.
Transpack red red 2016.jpg

My boots are in the rolling black Transpack boot carry-on along with ski pants, socks, mid-layer, base layer, I carry the helmet in the Transpack Sidekick for the flight (both pack and helmet fit under the seat when I take out the helmet, little red suitcase and Sportube get checked (for free on Southwest). Usually only one pair of skis in the double Sportube, also snowboots, extra gloves. More goes in the Sportube on the way home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga