• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Diva Fashion Police - Backpack Edition - Which Color?

What Color Should I Get?

• Yellow - Easy to Spot in the Backcountry: Safety First

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Black - Classic as it gets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purple - How much purple is too much?

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

elemmac

Angel Diva
POLL CLOSED!

(well...not really, I don't think I have permissions to do that...keep voting if you want :becky:)

But...I pulled the trigger on the yellow! It's not normally a color I choose for myself, but I like the contrast it'll provide in the backcountry (especially when wearing full light pink, which can be tough to see). Bonus that yellow was last year's color, so it was on sale.
Extra bonus, as @Pequenita mentioned, it'll photograph well. :banana:Each year I edit a video from "big" trips DH and I go on...so filming well is definitely a good bonus.

Thank you everyone for the input! Love that so many people are safety oriented when it comes to the backcountry.

shadoj

Angel Diva
But...I pulled the trigger on the yellow! It's not normally a color I choose for myself, but I like the contrast it'll provide in the backcountry (especially when wearing full light pink, which can be tough to see). Bonus that yellow was last year's color, so it was on sale.
My coat approves of your decision! Discounts never hurt, either ;) Have fun in the backcountry!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I was just coming to say ”multiple colors so you can go with your mood” … but maybe you just start with the yellow. ;) Which I like a lot, by the way. Bright is always a delight.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Update: As mentioned up thread, I purchased the yellow. When it arrived, it was smaller than expected. Despite being labeled as a 20L, it seemed to have less capacity than my older 18L Mammut. Sooo....I ordered the 26L in the grey/greenish color. I overanalyzed the two, packing them both up with what I carry for a resort day...then what I carry for a short touring day. Ultimately, the smaller yellow would be amazing on-resort. But just a bit small to be able to pack my necessities for short tours.

I LOVE the yellow (unexpectedly)...which is making it hard for me to come to reality that it's too small for my needs. Haha. My husband has (semi) jokingly said that I should stop overthinking it and just keep them both. I have to return one of them next week before leaving for a trip...or decide to keep them both (which seems excessive). *cue tiny violin*

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
1) N + 1 rule for backpacks!!!
2) I agree with your husband
Haha. My husband has (semi) jokingly said that I should stop overthinking it and just keep them both.
3) currently doing the following regarding travel toiletry carrying configurations. I feel this in my soul.
I overanalyzed the two, packing them both up with what I carry for a resort day...then what I carry for a short touring day.

elemmac

Angel Diva
In a similar situation someone once told me, "you can never have too many backpacks." :smile: Which I think is true, if you use them. If you'll use them both you should keep them both!
Haha! Oh...I LIVE by this mantra. I have quite the quiver of backpacks already...but they each serve a purpose. And this is where I struggle to keep both. I have a smaller 12L Dakine Heli pack that I really enjoy as a resort pack (provided I'm not carrying any avy gear, as it only has 1 pocket). And I'm not sure there's quite enough of a difference to justify keeping the same pack in both a 20L and 26L.

elemmac

Angel Diva
3) currently doing the following regarding travel toiletry carrying configurations. I feel this in my soul.
Hahaha. I've done this many times previously...until I bought one of these Osprey organizers. It is AMAZING. It's the Swiss Army Knife of toiletry kits. The third "section" snaps in, so for short trips that I have less items, I snap it off and condense everything. The middle "section" has a stretchy front, so you can REALLY stuff it full for much longer trips. I have 2 or 3 other kits that haven't been used in the past 3-4 years, since I got that one.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
1) N + 1 rule for backpacks!!!
2) I agree with your husband

Not to derail this convo but I recently over-researched/shopped for a toiletry kit and really love the Peak Design wash pouch. I got the large but they also have a smaller one.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Not to derail this convo but I recently over-researched/shopped for a toiletry kit and really love the Peak Design wash pouch. I got the large but they also have a smaller one.
I love Peak Design. Their camera strap system is amazing, as is their camera backpack strap clip (see...not a thread derail, it comes full circle :becky: ).Then I have one of their sling packs for my camera...so well thought out and great quality stuff from them!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Thanks for the off-topic toiletry kit recommendations. The Peak Designs one was EXACTLY what I had been looking for - good combo of volume, counter or hanging deployment. I travel a lot but under varying circumstances, and like to have certain things READY to go but need modularity in the deployment. I think this will fit the bill…

But, in the true spirit of things, I’ll probably overanalyze a little longer - I did order it, but need to see it in my hands.
Thank you for your help, @elemmac and @beane !!!

:focus:

marzNC

Angel Diva
And I'm not sure there's quite enough of a difference to justify keeping the same pack in both a 20L and 26L.
But you won't know until you actually use both . . . right?

I have a collection of backpacks, mostly 20L and smaller. The difference in shape, sections, pockets, or color all make a difference as to which one I like better for a given trip. Especially depends on whether or not I'm packing to drive or fly from my house.

Bet if you put a backpack up for sale for any reason, there will be a Diva who snaps it up pretty quickly. :wink:

elemmac

Angel Diva
But you won't know until you actually use both . . . right?
Hahaha. This is true....

I have a collection of backpacks, mostly 20L and smaller. The difference in shape, sections, pockets, or color all make a difference as to which one I like better for a given trip.
This is the problem of keeping them both...they are literally identical in shape, pockets, & sections. One just has extra space in the main compartment (plus A-frame ski carry)...other than that...identical. I would easily justify keeping them both if they had slightly different pocket arrangements or features.

Bet if you put a backpack up for sale for any reason, there will be a Diva who snaps it up pretty quickly. :wink:
There's a chance I thin the herd in the near future.

Based on the responses here, seems like there could be a "I'm a backpack slut" thread started in the near future :rotf:

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yellow. Easier to keep track of. It’s hard to leave a yellow bag behind in the parking lot or bar! Lol

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My vote is to keep both. IMHO there's enough of a size difference to justify it, they'll have different use cases as they say. 6L is sizable. And having two sizes of the same configuration/set up means less having to think about how to organize it, how to find things. And the yellow color is cute.

If they don't work out, @marzNC is right, you can sell here or on the Carryology FB page.

How's that for enabling? :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga