• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dinner after a long day on the hill...

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
We are big on pre-making soups and freezing them, as someone suggested above. Our favorite is a Tofu Noodle Soup, which consists of celery, carrots, onion, ginger, mixed with seasoned tofu & pasta in a veggie broth and a bunch of spices. I make a big batch before we go up, and we buy bread along the way and defrost the soup in the evening. :smile:

The other easy stand-by for us is pasta & sauce. We usually don't eat a lot of pasta during the week, but there is something nice about a big bowl of Angel Hair Pasta and sauce after a long day of skiing.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I'm humbled.

Dinner after skiing for us? Taco Bell, Mickey D's, Pizza, or anything else I don't have to cook or wait for. :redface:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's what we need in a crock pot --

A while back, I saw an electric range -- y'know, cook top and oven -- that you could set to cook something hours later in the oven.

THAT wasn't the nifty new feature.

What was new and intriguing was that it REFRIGERATES the food until time to start baking it!

Would a well-chilled crock do the same thing? (mine is pretty ancient and has the removable crock that I could keep in the freezer, or at least refrigerator the night before, food in it, ready to cook...)

Kano

abc

Banned
I would never leave anything that should be refrigerated at room temp for any length of time. Background on that: BSc in Microbiology..
What about the drive home from the supermarket? For a lot of people, it could easily be close to, if not OVER, an hour. Do you stop anywhere else for other errands, or do you actually make a point of doing meat shopping the last stop of shopping?

Sorry for being picky. My background is also in science (though not Microbiology).

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I used to make it the last stop, had two large coolers and would buy a couple of bags of ice for each of them (didn't need the ice so much in winter, when it was -20 outside...) for that hour or longer drive.

Ten minutes now -- I don't bother with the cooler, but I don't take time to pee before putting the perishables away.

No science background, just Mom's influence!

Kano

Jilly

Staff member
I do a Costco run once a month. Coolers for the frozen and dairy type stuff. Fruit and veggies can make in home in the hour drive. I've never bought ice cream though!!

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I make a lot of soups and stews from scratch (Lentil with Lemon and Cumin, Chicken Barley Stew, Chicken Corn Chowder, Posole, that sort of thing).

I'd love a Chicken Corn Chowder recipe...do share!!

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry for being picky. My background is also in science (though not Microbiology).

I'm with you. Although my pickiness comes from being a former chef - I won't put out anything that is not perfectly "food safe" - .....although as a wilderness guide I have been known to eat food with mosquitoes in it ...:nono:

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of our family's favorites is tortilla soup in the slow cooker. You can add chicken or make it vegitarian. Two pints of salsa - pick your heat, cilantro, fresh tomatoes and some broth. I take corn tortillas and cut them into strips and bake in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt ( ahead of time) . Put that in the soup bowl, spoon out the soup and top with shredded cheese ( already done - but in a package) fresh avacado and sour cream and it is a big hit! Where we ski, we are really lucky. When it is just my DH and me, we have a great deli and a great Japanese restaurant so we just pick up dinner on our way home at the end of the day. Go home, take a shower, pour some wine and dish it up. A great way to finish a hard day on the slopes! Then have your DH do the dishes :clap:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga