• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Difficulty making parallel right turns

BirdGirl

Diva in Training
Hi all,

I learned to ski 2 years ago (but only skied about 4 times the first season and not at all last season because the conditions were so awful :frown:) and have gotten to the point where I am able to confidently make parallel left turns, but am pretty much hopeless when I try to do it during a right turn (I end up skiing with a wedge for the first half of the turn or so and then bringing my uphill ski parallel). Today I skied down a couple of blue runs (for the first time yay me! :thumbsup:), which really accentuated this issue as I was totally comfortable on the steeper slopes when I had to turn right, but terrified to make a left turn. The conditions were also quite icy, which definitely made things worse.

My initial reaction to this is that it is related to being right-handed, as it appears that my right foot is also dominant to my left. Is it possible that I am not confident committing to my downhill ski when it is my left leg? Or is it possibly an issue with not being able to balance well on my left leg throughout the entire turn?

One more thing I should probably mention is that I am a pretty slow skier. I fully understand that this makes it more difficult to complete a parallel turn (or a turn in general), but it doesn't seem to be influencing my ability to turn left so I am thinking that the issue may be something else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jilly

Staff member
Without seeing a video, I'm thinking that you are "squaring up". This makes it difficult to initiate a turn, either way. I see VAN on your profile....Grouse or WB? I know a few instructors at WB that could help you.

BirdGirl

Diva in Training
Thanks for the reply. I really should try and get a video, though I mostly ski with my dad and he's pretty technologically challenged. :P Can you clarify exactly what you mean by "squaring up"?

I mostly ski at Grouse right now (where I've also taken all of my lessons), but occasionally WB. I hate spending so much money for WB when I can't even ski the majority of the runs, but given the current state of Grouse and the weather forecast I may have to head up there! I would definitely appreciate any instructor recommendations!

Without seeing a video, I'm thinking that you are "squaring up". This makes it difficult to initiate a turn, either way. I see VAN on your profile....Grouse or WB? I know a few instructors at WB that could help you.

Jilly

Staff member
When you finish your turn are you facing the direction of travel? This is squaring up. This makes it difficult to change direction. So you need to face the upper body downhill. A lesson will really help.

Take a look at the women's weekend camp at WB. It's on their website under Adult lessons. It's a great two days. I've done it twice. And look at the Edge card too.

mustski

Angel Diva
I can't really offer any advice beyond what Jilly has offered above , but ... I did want to say :welcome:!

BirdGirl

Diva in Training
When you finish your turn are you facing the direction of travel? This is squaring up. This makes it difficult to change direction. So you need to face the upper body downhill. A lesson will really help.

Take a look at the women's weekend camp at WB. It's on their website under Adult lessons. It's a great two days. I've done it twice. And look at the Edge card too.

I have taken a fair number of group lessons this season and no one has ever offered me this advice, or at least not put it this way. But this totally makes sense!!! When I ski on easy greens I face my upper body downhill the entire way, but as soon as I get on a slope that makes me uncomfortable I tend to traverse to the point where my upper body is facing the side of the run...and suddenly turning becomes more challenging (though this may also be a speed problem but I imagine the two are related). I think what this ultimately boils down to is a confidence issue, which will hopefully get better as I ski more. But I will consciously make an effort to face my upperbody downhill next time I ski, Thanks for your advice!

I can't really offer any advice beyond what Jilly has offered above , but ... I did want to say :welcome:!

Thank you!!! :wave:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One way to help keep your body facing down the hill more is to make sure you can ALWAYS see your hands low and in front. Try to keep your shoulders relaxed but your hands forward at all times. This helps to keep the shoulders more squared down the hill and also helps prevent you from twisting your entire body to turn.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi BirdGirl,

welcome :smile:

For me it is pretty normal that everyone has a better side, i.e. one side where it seems to be much easier to initiate a turn, steer a turn, etc.
So there might be plenty of reasons why you cannot parallel turn on one side - but when parallel turns is the current thing for you to learn it might be just ok that you find it easier for now to parallel turn left and you are just learning it for the right turn during your next ski days.

From my experience I'd recommend to go to (for you) easy terrain and just practice parallel turns there. Feel what you are doing on one side and try to translate it for the other side.

Sure, a camp or a good lesson will surely support you in adjusting left & right.

Have fun and enjoy :smile:

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was totally comfortable on the steeper slopes when I had to turn right, but terrified to make a left turn.
Is it possible that I am not confident committing to my downhill ski when it is my left leg? Or is it possibly an issue with not being able to balance well on my left leg throughout the entire turn?
Could be both. Have you tried skiing on one leg? How long can you last on your right legs alone and how long does it last on your left leg alone?

I fully understand that this makes it more difficult to complete a parallel turn (or a turn in general), but it doesn't seem to be influencing my ability to turn left so I am thinking that the issue may be something else.
Another issue is boot. Have you been professionally fitted? If not, and you're right leg dominant, your left FOOT may even be a tiny bit smaller (like I am myself), which means your left boot probably doesn't fit as snuggly as your right with off-the-shelf boots without modification! Leading to a small lose of control.

BirdGirl

Diva in Training
Thanks for the advice ladies!!! I am going skiing again tonight and will try out some of these tips!

Another issue is boot. Have you been professionally fitted? If not, and you're right leg dominant, your left FOOT may even be a tiny bit smaller (like I am myself), which means your left boot probably doesn't fit as snuggly as your right with off-the-shelf boots without modification! Leading to a small lose of control.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I've tried searching around but can't really come up with much as to what the cost would be. What would the average cost be if I brought my boots in? I bought my boots used, so would it still be worth the money to try and get them professionally fitted?

I always favored turning to the right and turning to the left was more difficult for me. In turning right they told us to squish the tongue in your boots, flatten the right leg and what will be the uphill ski, then all at the same time you look to the right, put all your weight on the downhill ski, steer around with the downhill ski and move your poles to the right and the tips of your skis will follow. Turning to the left was always my harder one so I conscious say to myself squish the tongue in my boots, flatten the left foot/uphill ski, steer the right foot around while shifting he weight to the down hill ski while looking to the left and poles and tips will follow once the weight shifts.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What would the average cost be if I brought my boots in?
The cost would base on the time the boot fitter spent to work on it.

would it still be worth the money to try and get them professionally fitted?
hmmm... maybe not.

But it wouldn't hurt to take it to a good boot fitter to have a look. You don't have to have anything done if it turns out to be more than you want to spend.

Jilly

Staff member
Ski Connexions in Whistler. He doesn't sell boots. He will let you know if they can be fixed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I've tried searching around but can't really come up with much as to what the cost would be. What would the average cost be if I brought my boots in? I bought my boots used, so would it still be worth the money to try and get them professionally fitted?
Doesn't hurt to ask an experience boot fitter for an opinion. Adding a custom footbed might be worth considering. I recently got a pair of almost new boots for my niece from someone I know for super cheap. She only skis 1-2 days every 2-3 years but has a hard time finding rental boots that fit (short legs, strong calves). After she skied a day, we went to see a boot fitter. He agreed the boots are a good fit. To fix a problem with toes in one boot, he suggested a $40 moldable footbed to help support her high arch. He knew immediately the problem wasn't that the boot was too short. A short while later, she was very happy because the boot was so comfortable.

I had a hot spot punched out at a destination resort a while back at the beginning of a ski vacation. I think the cost was $25 or $30. That was before I found a local boot fitter.

compost

Certified Ski Diva
I have found the skis seems to turn very easily when I shift my weight. Next time you're skiing focus on the weight shift and see if you may be able to make some progress.

This video explains it all.

Fantastic video, just fantastic. Its taken me 4 mother friggen years but I feel like I am finally doing this.................. I like to tail slide a little cause its fun but I just remember my instructor going spread the peanut butter and jelly no abrupt movements, should be smooth.........

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
If you need a ski buddy, let me know! I ski Seymour regularly. Like Jilly said, you probably would benefit a lot from the Arc'teryx Women's Camp on Whistler. I took one last year and going to take mine again first week in April.

I had my boots fitted by George at McCoo's on Whistler. It is probably the best investment I've made.

As for your turning issues, I always make sure that my shoulders and the downhill line up as a square!

BirdGirl

Diva in Training
I have found the skis seems to turn very easily when I shift my weight. Next time you're skiing focus on the weight shift and see if you may be able to make some progress.

This video explains it all.

Wow, yes this is a great video. Really easy to understand. I feel like I understand what I'm supposed to be doing with my weight and edges, but somehow this doesn't always translate so well in my skiing. However, I did ski tonight and tried to focus on facing downhill and it really helped! I still don't consistently make parallel turns (especially on steeper slopes) and my left turns are stronger than my right, but I'm feeling a lot more confident in my ability to make right turns.

If you need a ski buddy, let me know! I ski Seymour regularly. Like Jilly said, you probably would benefit a lot from the Arc'teryx Women's Camp on Whistler. I took one last year and going to take mine again first week in April.

I had my boots fitted by George at McCoo's on Whistler. It is probably the best investment I've made.

As for your turning issues, I always make sure that my shoulders and the downhill line up as a square!

Yes!!! I am desperately in need of a ski buddy haha my friends who do ski tend to only go a couple times per year. I've really enjoyed Seymour the few times I have skied there.

Okay I am seriously considering this camp now! You guys may laugh at this, but I am actually concerned over my ability to ski 2 days in a row...I'm getting better but I still get pretty sore after a day of skiing!

Jilly

Staff member
The camp would be great for you. And don't worry about keeping up. You can make a 2/3 day if you want. But do show up for the apres party!! It's too much fun. And maybe they can help you with that soreness. That could be technique too.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BirdGirl,
If you carefully watch the video you'll see his knee starts moving downhill to move the ski to the new edge. Try this: On an easy (for you) slope, stand perpendicular to the fall line, turn your upper body so that you are facing downhill, with your hands also reaching downhill. Slowly relax your downhill leg, until the ski starts to slip into the fall line, go straight, and turn to a stop. Do this a couple of times both directions. Now do a full turn, keeping your upper body and hands pointed downhill and starting the turn by relaxing the downhill leg. Could also be an alignment issue, or leaving too much weight on the uphill foot.

FWIW, I too am having trouble with my right turns. Primarily because I chipped a bone in my hip while teaching 5-6 year olds on the conveyor lift in the kids' terrain garden. No skiing for me until a couple of days before I go to Utah Feb. 27-March 7.:injured:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna