• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Did I make a mistake?

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, I'm new to the board and a relatively new skier as well. :smile: I purchased a pair of Rossingol Cut 10.4 Super L skis w/bindings, new Nordica boots, and poles for $75 (the guy threw in a pair of roller blades as well).

The skis & boots are unused, but they are older (1999-ish), which I didn't realize until I purchased them. I've been skiing 5-6 times and can ski the blues with fear and the greens with comfort at Attitash (if that helps at all). I am 5'3" and 125 lbs - the ski length is 160cm.

The more I read, I realize that I should have at least demoed something before I made a purchase. These are only temporary skis for this ski season - my s/o and I are headed up to Tremblant soon, and I didn't want to rent equipment for a week. I know relatively speaking for skis, $75 isn't a lot of money, but did I just make a mistake (with respect the type of ski and length)? Also, what's the difference between single-tip and double-tip skis? (The ones that I bought are single-tip).

This website is great, and I am really sorry if these questions are basic. I did a search before I posted, but if this info is elsewhere, please point me in that direction! Thanks in advance.

Jilly

Staff member
Well as the Rossi person here I can tell you that the ski is as you say old, but the new version hasn't changed much. So these will be good for a time. The length may be an issue. I'm a inch taller and ski on the Rossi Z5 at 154. Also I'm alot heavier. You'll have to ski them to find out about the length. The ski is soft as its their entry level model, so it might be OK. Let me know when you're coming to Tremblant, give you the locals tour!!

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for the quick reply!! I was a little scared of the length, but they will do for now. I am very excited about Tremblant - I am on tremblant-insider everyday reading about the snow conditions. We are headed up from Boston on 12/15 and will be there for a full week. We are staying at the Homewood Suites. A local tour - on or off the mountain - would be great!! It looks beautiful, and we cannot wait :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be flip, but for $75. bucks, you got everything but the kitchen sink! :becky:

No, it's probably not optimal equipment. You'd do a lot better skiing with properly fitted boots and skis you chose by demoing. But skis & bindings, new boots, poles, AND roller blades for $75.? They're worth a try. If they're too painful, you're not losing much if you get rid of them. Ski on 'em a few times and you've already paid for them (as opposed to a renting). Just know that you will ski better, when you get equipment that's more suited to you.

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
I was pretty happy with the deal overall, but then got scared w/the age of it. Luckily, nothing has been used before. I'll see how the skis are this season and go from there. I have my own Atomic boots, so I won't be using the boots that came with the package. I am hoping that I can mix and match the two - I'm getting everything tuned/fitted up this weekend.

Thanks for the info - I do feel better now :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
And I agree with Ski Diva. You got them, so you might as well use them. Also demo days at Tremblant is the 15th and 16th, so try some out!! Tell JB, the Tremblant-insider, that you are coming and he'll see that you're looked after. I'm not up till after Christmas. Mention that you are with the SkiDiva's and Jilly sent you. And make a plan to see the Ski Diva's bras at Fat Mardi's!!

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
Fat Mardi's is on our list of places to check out - so we definitely will go! It's good to know that the demo days are right when we are there - who knows, maybe I will find something great. It looks like it is going to be freezing then, but I am hoping that if we bundle up well, it will be tolerable.

Jilly

Staff member
They better be!! I'll check and if they've both been removed I"ll make a new one, that's Christmasy.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sound garden,

You're about my size (well nearly exactly) and the longest skis I own are 156cm, so I'm gonna bet that those skis may be a bit long for you. What you'll notice will be that they will go faster, and will be harder to turn than ones that are a more appropriate length. However for $75 you don't have too much to lose. If they absolutely suck sell em for $25, sell the boots for $25 and you've not lost a thing.

Oh and just a comment about Attitash as I've skiied there a bit... some of the blues can have horrible conditions. Recently they just don't take care of the popular blue terrain very well and it can make what should be a fun run into something far less enjoyable. I bet if you ski on better groomed terrain you'd find yourself far less fearful on blue runs. Now that the All4One pass is gonzo and we no longer own our studio/condo/timeshare in Jackson I doubt I'll ever ski Attitash again. For the cost of a lift ticket there I can go elsewhere that's less crowded and has better conditions.

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
persee,

Thanks very much for the information. If I start tumbling down the hill at Tremblant (where I am headed to in 31 days!!), I'll just rent gear and cry about the rental prices :smile:

Attitash was the 1st mountain that I froze on, figuratively speaking. I was at the top of a blue run, looked down at the slope and couldn't move. It sounds chicken-ish, but I was terrified. It took my brother and boyfriend 10 minutes to coax me to move an inch. The funny thing is that finishing that run (falls and all) gave me some much needed confidence. For that reason, I ended up loving Attitash. We are going back up there in March, as we were able to snag a killer midweek deal. Hopefully by then, I will be able to lose the "blue fear".

Thanks for the insight on the ski length!!

Jilly

Staff member
Soundgarden - if you need to rent when you're at Tremblant, rent off the resort. Get ahold of JB and he'll arrange rentals in town for you. They even deliver to your hotel.

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
Jilly, that's great advice. Per your suggestion, I am planning on dropping a line to him and saying hello before we head up - his website is great!! Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga