• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: DIA (DEN) airport car rentals

DH and I are flying to Denver on 2/28 and returning on 3/5 and we would like to rent an all-wheel or 4-wheel vehicle (like a Toyota Rav4). Called one car rental company yesterday and prices were ridiculously high. I realize that week might be college break for some, it's peak travel season, and there may be more rental specials down the line, but before I try other companies I thought I'd ask those who have rented cars at DIA recently what companies they have found have decent rates. I'm a AAA member.

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
what do you consider reasonable? I don't know much about renting cars, but from my limited experience, renting an SUV in Denver during peak ski season is going to cost you.

Have you tried travelocity? I just messed around there and looks like you can find an intermediate SUV from Payless for like $90/day. Those sites are nice because they let you compare between a bunch of rental agencies. Also, have you tried to have AAA book you a car rental? They might be able to get you even better prices if they book through an office.

Jilly

Staff member
Both Mother's Day I've rented from the airport. I used points both times too. But different agencies. Last was Budget, they upgraded me from a Subie to a Ford Escape for nothing. I liked Alamo better. I got a Nissan Exterra. I had some problems with the Ford - like the transmission was making funny noises.

Using points and my CAA (your AAA) made it affordable for sure.

I expect to pay in the $500 - $650 range, but was quoted $1,300 to $1,400 with 2 different discount programs! I will try your recommendations Divas, thanks!

abc

Banned
Priceline.com sometimes has killer deals. But you're locked in, unlike other typical car rental reservation which you can simply tell them you changed your mind.

I've never found any sort of consistancy in car rental. Check all companies and make a reservation with the cheapest. Then check back from time to time, till you're satisfied with the rate.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you check the discount codes available through the airlines in conjunction with the flight? My last rental with Southwest/Alamo saved me more than 50% off standard rates. YMMV

Did you check the discount codes available through the airlines in conjunction with the flight? My last rental with Southwest/Alamo saved me more than 50% off standard rates. YMMV

Yep, one of those "discounted rates" was through United (I'm a MileagePlus member flying United). I'll keep looking.

merrydog

Angel Diva
I've found that mid-week rentals from DIA can be expensive. If you have an option to arrive earlier to include the prior Saturday you rate my be significantly lower.

The other thing I've done is to reserve the lowest rate possible from the rental company then keep checking Hotwire and Priceline as the actual travel date approaches.

Good luck!

ah ha! That's the problem, I'm renting Monday - Friday, those are business traveler rates. I'm not arriving until Monday so I can't change the dates, I'll just have to work harder to find good rates.

SueBobTexas

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are just going to Denver to ski in the area and only going to a resort I have sometimes found it is cheaper just to take a service to the ski resort. Most ski resorts have some form of transportation.

When we were in Denver last year for a ski trip out to Beaver Creek we did rent a car but next time I would just do a transfer. I found the rental's to be pretty expensive. I do know that rentals overall are up about 20% everywhere.

Christy

Angel Diva
Denver's actually pretty famous among travelers for having ridiculous rental car rates. It's the most expensive place I've ever rented, and that includes places like Paris and London. On travel message boards all winter there are posts just like yours.

Anyway, last couple times I've picked up at Quebec Street locations, then returned to Denver, and it's been much more reasonable. But, I have a girlfriend who lives in Denver who would pick me up and get me there. You might check out rates on Quebec or other Denver locations. It sometimes is the case that even when you factor in the cost of a cab, it's still way cheaper to rent off site. And I've never found that there is an extra charge for dropping back off at DEN. Hotwire is the other thing I've done. The best rates I've gotten are through Hotwire, picking up at Quebec St and droppen off at DEN.

ScottishSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Denver is super expensive for car rentals. My husband travels a lot on business, and usually hires a car one way to DIA, and one way back. The rental on the way back (ie, the one from the airport) is usually at least a third more expensive than going the opposite way.

You might well be better picking up from somewhere in the city if you can, or from the resort of you're going directly there from the airport. Might be worth checking out some of the little towns near the airport too (eg Brighton), as some of them will be bound to have car rental places.

Other thing to consider is whether you actually need an SUV, or whether a normal car with snow tyres/chains would work. I guess that will depend on where you're actually going though. If you need to drive I-70, I'd have thought an SUV would be worth it for the peace of mind if there is heavy snow on that road.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Try this link:

https://booking.carrental8.com/33/s...201103050800/44/0/any/?rc=us&filter=bcdvstnfj

It looks like you can get a Jeep Patriot or Jeep Compass for under $400 total. You just have to specify 4 WD, but my experience with rentals in Denver has been that if you rent an SUV it will be 4 WD or AWD.

Your post made me realize that it's past time to rent a car for my mid-January trip to CO, so please post on how you do.

CAUTION - I know nothing about this company, and intend to investigate to figure out if they are legitimate.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed over on Epic that prices out of DIA have dropped on many cars ... check it out ...

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
We just rented an all-wheel drive Chevy something-or-other through Enterprise at DIA, and were VERY pleased, with the price, service, and the vehicle.

The vehicle was very roomy and handled well (drove in the snow 2 days)...the service was top-notch - professional, friendly, and fast, and the car cost a total of $40/day.

We didn't book far in advance, perhaps 5 days or so before we left.

Thanks y'all. I made a couple of reservations last week, they are pricey, but not as insane as Hertz and Avis are. It's our fault for arriving on a Monday and departing on a Friday. In early March. Prime business car rental week and I want an intermediate SUV for the 4WD. Some of the quotes were over $1,300!

I checked a few sites along with Enterprise, and still no change from my last research, I'll keep checking. It's such a short trip that we can't fool around with getting into Denver to rent etc. In fact we plan to ski Copper on the last Friday and then drive down to the airport where we will stay the night for our early flight the next morning. If only we had more time to stay out there! One day....

apsara

Diva in Training
I have used "carrentals.com" to book, never any problems, two dozen rentals in two years. Noticed last year in February, that SUVs are rather expensive from Denver Airport. Due to all the skiers, I suppose, who want SUVs for their vacation.

Christy

Angel Diva
Also keep checking Hotwire or Priceline as your date gets closer. We hadn't planned on getting a vehicle for our Steamboat trip but I did think one would be handy, so a week before we left I did a low Priceline bid on a compact and won it. (I've never needed a 4WD on a ski trip--we only drive on plowed roads and highways--so we always get compacts).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna