• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Deodorant without aluminum

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am looking for a deo without aluminum because I am getting irritated from all that metal. I'm willing to try a bunch of different ones but wondered if any divas out there have any recommendations. An antiperspirant would be a bonus too, but I'm not sure there are any natural options for that.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Similar problem. Have had great results with Tom's of Maine, Aluminum-Free Deodorant Stick, available @ drugstore dot com among many other online places and brick stores.

Back of label: "To learn more about the ingredients in this product, the way we do business, and our community involvement, visit www.tomsofmaine.com

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny, I just picked it up at the grocery store! Does it last through a work out? Can't stand smelly people at the gym. I don't want to be one of them! Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's one with cotton?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It works for me. No one has "backed away" yet!
Good luck! No info on the other. I'm way happy with the Tom's.

altagirl

Staff member
I've actually given up on the sticks completely and am using organic deodorant sprays that are basically just alcohol and essential oils. I was using the Tom's of Maine sticks, but found that I had to re-apply every few hours for it to work and kept going back to anti-perspirant off and on.

We have a local company that makes a deodorant spray and comes with specific instructions that you have to stop using other stuff completely and go through a transition period for your pores to clean themselves out. So for that first week or so I was carrying around deodorant spray with me everywhere, but once I got through that, it's a lot better. It's also nice not to have residue gunked into the fabric of my clothes!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm in the transition.. can't stand the way I smell. I tried the Tom's of Maine but I don't like any of the fragrances. I couldn't find the unscented in any of the stores I went to. The combo of "me"and "lemongrass" not pretty. I found an Arm and Hammer aluminum free yesterday that smells pretty good and leaves me smelling like.. well, like nothing... after a work out. I may have found my deodorant! I just wish it could stop wetness too. I guess I'll have to keep the aluminum around for "special occasions".

altagirl

Staff member
I think I'm in the transition.. can't stand the way I smell. I tried the Tom's of Maine but I don't like any of the fragrances. I couldn't find the unscented in any of the stores I went to. The combo of "me"and "lemongrass" not pretty. I found an Arm and Hammer aluminum free yesterday that smells pretty good and leaves me smelling like.. well, like nothing... after a work out. I may have found my deodorant! I just wish it could stop wetness too. I guess I'll have to keep the aluminum around for "special occasions".

Supposedly that's the thing though. If you go back to the aluminum, you go through the transition period again. Which explains why I had tried the natural options for years but didn't think they were very effective - because I was switching back and forth. Once you use anti-perspirant, it traps all the crap in your pores and once they open up, you're going to smell it...

https://www.bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
Supposedly that's the thing though. If you go back to the aluminum, you go through the transition period again. Which explains why I had tried the natural options for years but didn't think they were very effective - because I was switching back and forth. Once you use anti-perspirant, it traps all the crap in your pores and once they open up, you're going to smell it...

https://www.bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html

I'm totally not trying to stir up trouble here, but I was reading the above article and had at least one major question.

Under the first portion of the "Deodorant Tips" article, the author writes, "While anti-perspirants have these disturbing side effects, deodorants work simply to fight bacteria and to scent the underarm. That's why many people believe using deodorants is a much healthier option." Okay, I buy that. However, under step 2 of the article, "Detox your pits," the person writes, "Stay away from anti-bacterial detergents for cleaning, only using true natural soaps for cleaning." That doesn't make sense to me. If true deodorants work due to their ability to fight bacteria, doesn't that make them anti-bacterial? And wouldn't an anti-bacterial soap aid the natural deodorant? Is the author of the article simply promoting all natural products or is he/she actually offering the best advice to avoid body odor using as many natural/organic products as possible?

Sorry. That's a total aside. Back to the topic at hand. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
I'm totally not trying to stir up trouble here, but I was reading the above article and had at least one major question.

Under the first portion of the "Deodorant Tips" article, the author writes, "While anti-perspirants have these disturbing side effects, deodorants work simply to fight bacteria and to scent the underarm. That's why many people believe using deodorants is a much healthier option." Okay, I buy that. However, under step 2 of the article, "Detox your pits," the person writes, "Stay away from anti-bacterial detergents for cleaning, only using true natural soaps for cleaning." That doesn't make sense to me. If true deodorants work due to their ability to fight bacteria, doesn't that make them anti-bacterial? And wouldn't an anti-bacterial soap aid the natural deodorant? Is the author of the article simply promoting all natural products or is he/she actually offering the best advice to avoid body odor using as many natural/organic products as possible?

Sorry. That's a total aside. Back to the topic at hand. :smile:

The anti-bacterial in the natural deodorant products is just alcohol/plant oils that have natural anti-bacterial properties.

I could be wrong, but I believe in most anti-bacterial soaps, there is some other chemical combo that is the anti-bacterial part? According to wikipedia: "Triclosan, Triclocarban/Trichlorocarbamide and PCMX/Chloroxylenol are commonly used for antibacterial and deodorant effect in consumer products." I think it's those types of things that are the issue. Rosemary oil and rubbing alcohol aren't the types of things I think they are worried about in creating superbugs from people using anti-bacterial everything. I could be wrong though.

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
The anti-bacterial in the natural deodorant products is just alcohol/plant oils that have natural anti-bacterial properties.

I could be wrong, but I believe in most anti-bacterial soaps, there is some other chemical combo that is the anti-bacterial part? According to wikipedia: "Triclosan, Triclocarban/Trichlorocarbamide and PCMX/Chloroxylenol are commonly used for antibacterial and deodorant effect in consumer products." I think it's those types of things that are the issue. Rosemary oil and rubbing alcohol aren't the types of things I think they are worried about in creating superbugs from people using anti-bacterial everything. I could be wrong though.

The issue with the Triclosan, Triclocarban/Trichlorocarbamide, and PCMX/Chloroxylenol makes sense to me. Thanks for looking it up. My logic red flag initially went up when I read the Bumble and Bee page.

As another aside, I've been pretty pleased with Bumble and Bee's hair products. I would definitely recommend them, so exploring their other products may bear some consideration.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the deodarant crystals avaialable in health food store work to keep the BO away. No white residue on black tops either. But they don't do much for the anti-perspirant part. Still a better option, imho.

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Arm and Hammer aluminum free has Triclosan. Is it really that bad? Maybe I should try the "Pit Putty" made by by Bubble and Bee? Has anyone tried that one?

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if anyone is still interested but I found that Trader Joes makes a deodorant with cotton that works wonders for me. There appears to be nothing harmful in it and it is absolutely fragrance free. The cotton fibers in it absorb wetness and I don't smell! I can even use it after shaving. AND IT IS CHEAP! The trick is to use alot (like 10 "swipes").

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to judge the two above in any way, but because I had a bad experience, I wanted to note that some mineral spray deodorants can create very stubborn and uncomfortable skin irritation.

CdnStix

Certified Ski Diva
For anyone up here in Canada (or traveling to Canada) that is looking for a good all natural deodorant, Rocky Mountain Soap Company from Canmore, Alberta makes one that is great!

https://www.rockymountainsoap.com/productList/1034648/1000144

It is a roll-on so you need to let it dry for a few minutes before putting a shirt on but I find it works really well. Being a deodorant it doesn't help reduce perspiration but it definitely is a good deodorant - and I'm a super sweaty betty when I exercise.

They have an online store as well and do ship to the US and internationally but it might be expensive if you were just ordering one deodorant. 100% natural products made here in Canmore. I've used almost everything they make and can tell you they are all FABULOUS - so the $10 US shipping might be reasonable if you were getting other products too.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if anyone is still interested but I found that Trader Joes makes a deodorant with cotton that works wonders for me. There appears to be nothing harmful in it and it is absolutely fragrance free. The cotton fibers in it absorb wetness and I don't smell! I can even use it after shaving. AND IT IS CHEAP! The trick is to use alot (like 10 "swipes").
I've used this and loved it too. The 10 swipes (or more) thing is essential.

Only in the last few years have I had any trouble with anti-perspirant; the rash it produced was awful. The other thing I've developed is a reaction to "regular" toothpastes and mouthwashes. I can only use Tom's of Maine or Trader Joe's. Not sure what's in the standard ones but it made the whole inside of my mouth go raw. Makes me wonder what the heck they're putting in this stuff!!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used this and loved it too. The 10 swipes (or more) thing is essential.

Only in the last few years have I had any trouble with anti-perspirant; the rash it produced was awful. The other thing I've developed is a reaction to "regular" toothpastes and mouthwashes. I can only use Tom's of Maine or Trader Joe's. Not sure what's in the standard ones but it made the whole inside of my mouth go raw. Makes me wonder what the heck they're putting in this stuff!!

I'm having problems with toothpaste too, specifically Crest. I've used it all my life but now it leaves a coating and bad taste in my mouth. Companies are putting sodium saccharin in the toothpaste to "sweeten" the taste. I found out that sodium saccharin, or saccharin, is a derivative of Sulfa drugs which was used for infections before penicillin. My PCP prescribed a Sulfa drug once which I had a reaction to. Now I understand why I have such a hard time with products containing saccharin. Today I bought a tube of Tom's of Maine. One brushing and already my mouth feels better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna