• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demoing the Kenja 88, Santa Ana 88 and Kore 85

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

I am looking into getting new skis and I will be demoing the Kenja 88, the Santa Ana 88 and the Kore 85 this weekend. Those were the recommendations at our local ski shop that is conducting the demo. Originally I had asked to demo the Sheeva 9 and the Black Pearl 88, per reviews I have seen on this forum, but the ski “consultant” talked me out of those when he asked what I currently ski and I said the 2011 Volkl Kenja. So yes, I‘ve had my old Kenja’s since 2011 and I love them! I did take a few seasons off of skiing in 2011-2014, due to a ski injury, a really poor winter, and a pregnancy. Then I went back to my Kenjas. I ski Tahoe, mainly Mt Rose. I consider myself somewhere between an advanced intermediate and a low advanced. I‘m confortable on any blue runs, groomed or not. I am comfortable on most groomed black runs (at least at Mt. Rose). I can safely navigate moguls, but I stay away from them because I don’t like them. I don’t ski off piste. I do not ski much powder either, since, except for this season, I have not had much opportunity to go skiing right after a storm. My 2011 Kenjas (86 waist) are amazing on the groomers, hard pack, skier pack, curd, and icy conditions. I do struggle with powder, but again, it might be that I haven‘t really had a chance to learn how to ski powder, plus the Kenya’s are probably not the strongest on it.

What should I look for as I demo the 2023 Kenja 88, the Santa Ana 88 and the Kore 85? Any recommendations? Should I still push to demo the Sheeva or the BP 88? Or would that be “downgrading”, as the guy at the ski shop suggested? Or should I ask for some other skis, other than the ones mentioned?

Oh, my stats! I am 5’4”, 125 pound, 50 years old, ski 3-4 times per week, mostly at Mt Rose, on occasions at other Tahoe resorts. Mostly on groomed runs.

Thank you for reading.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa Ana 93 as well! The Sheeva has been stiffened and Kenja has been softened is my understanding, but I think 2011 Kenja is pre-metal and full camber, whereas 2022 has definite tip and tail rocker and softer tips. I don't think the BP88/Sheeva 9 would be downgrading per se, but they will feel different.

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa Ana 93 as well! The Sheeva has been stiffened and Kenja has been softened is my understanding, but I think 2011 Kenja is pre-metal and full camber, whereas 2022 has definite tip and tail rocker and softer tips. I don't think the BP88/Sheeva 9 would be downgrading per se, but they will feel different.
Thank you, Scandium. I will look into demoing those as well. I doesn’t hurt to try out as many as I can before committing to the purchase.

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
For what it is worth, we sound very similar in terms of weight and ability. I am in the process of upgrading my BPs, and I’ve had the Kenja suggested to me as a good upgrade a few times. I don’t think it’s necessarily that one is “better” than the other, but my sense (purely repeating what has been said to me) is that the Kenja is a more advanced ski. You have to work it more, but if you do, you will get a better payout. The BP, on the other hand, will be more forgiving, but may not give you the performance you’re after. This may be what’s motivating the “downgrade” comments.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Hi for what it’s worth I spent yesterday demoing next years models some were just graphic changes some actual designs. I felt the Kenja was lighter and a tad softer than three years ago in 2020( unchanged from 22/23 model). I really like the Nordica Santa Anna line both 88 and 93. I don’t think that the 93 will be to much for you. I really liked the Kore 85 it was pretty quick and easy to handle. I’d like to add the Volkl Blaze 86 and 94. They are both fun although the 86 is a little more playful. Next year they have added a Blaze 82 to the family. I’d like to add a Stockli Nela 88 to your list great edge hold smith entrance into the turn.

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For what it is worth, we sound very similar in terms of weight and ability. I am in the process of upgrading my BPs, and I’ve had the Kenja suggested to me as a good upgrade a few times. I don’t think it’s necessarily that one is “better” than the other, but my sense (purely repeating what has been said to me) is that the Kenja is a more advanced ski. You have to work it more, but if you do, you will get a better payout. The BP, on the other hand, will be more forgiving, but may not give you the performance you’re after. This may be what’s motivating the “downgrade” comments.
Yes, I believe that is what they meant by the “downgrade”, that I was already skiing a more advanced ski. “You have to work it more, but if you do, you will better payout”…that makes sense. I will report back after I demo them. Can’t wait! Thank you, @Laroken

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi for what it’s worth I spent yesterday demoing next years models some were just graphic changes some actual designs. I felt the Kenja was lighter and a tad softer than three years ago in 2020( unchanged from 22/23 model). I really like the Nordica Santa Anna line both 88 and 93. I don’t think that the 93 will be to much for you. I really liked the Kore 85 it was pretty quick and easy to handle. I’d like to add the Volkl Blaze 86 and 94. They are both fun although the 86 is a little more playful. Next year they have added a Blaze 82 to the family. I’d like to add a Stockli Nela 88 to your list great edge hold smith entrance into the turn.
I’ve been reading a lot about how the newest generation of the Kenja is lighter and less stiff. I have not touched a different ski than the 2011 Kenja. I don’t even know what to expect…I wonder what I have been missing!
Thank you for commenting on each of the three options of my initial demo. Can’t wait to try each of them. I might need to schedule a second (and third?) demo to add the Blaze 86 and 94, and the Stockli Neal 88…plus maybe the Santa Anna 93. So many options! This particular shop only lets me demo three at a time and only during their demo days. Hopefully I can make it happen to demo more.
Thank you for the feedback @perma-grin

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Should I still push to demo the Sheeva or the BP 88
Yes, you should demo whatever you want, even if it is to confirm your preference. If you choose to demo the Sheeva, don't let them put you on them too short - the 164 would be your size.

I am an advanced skier in my late 50s and I love the Sheeva 9, but I prefer ungroomed. The Santa Ana 93, which I own and love as well, has a bit more teeth than the Sheeva 9; as such, it loses some of the bumps/trees ease of the Sheeva 9, but it provides a bit more stability in choppy/wind groomed conditions. The Volkl Blaze 94 could be an option too - I have not been on the 94, but if it is anything like the 86 it is super stable while also retaining the fun factor.

I am comfortable on most groomed black runs (at least at Mt. Rose). I can safely navigate moguls, but I stay away from them because I don’t like them
At Diva West last year I skied black ungroomed at Mt Rose and I wouldn't hesitate to head out on the Sheevas there. Perhaps you will always prefer groomed, but the Sheeva could make ungroomed/bumps appealing to you...just sayin'. I have demoed many iterations of the Kenja over the years and it does make you feel like a super hero on the groomers, but blech in bumps.

The Sheeva has been stiffened and Kenja has been softened is my understanding
The Sheeva 9 will be debuting the changes in 2024. Unless a shop gets in some 2024s, the Sheeva you can demo now is still the original construction and 92mm; the 2024 will be 96mm. The current Kenja has been softened a bit from previous years.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Yes, you should demo whatever you want, even if it is to confirm your preference. If you choose to demo the Sheeva, don't let them put you on them too short - the 164 would be your size.

I am an advanced skier in my late 50s and I love the Sheeva 9, but I prefer ungroomed. The Santa Ana 93, which I own and love as well, has a bit more teeth than the Sheeva 9; as such, it loses some of the bumps/trees ease of the Sheeva 9, but it provides a bit more stability in choppy/wind groomed conditions. The Volkl Blaze 94 could be an option too - I have not been on the 94, but if it is anything like the 86 it is super stable while also retaining the fun factor.

At Diva West last year I skied black ungroomed at Mt Rose and I wouldn't hesitate to head out on the Sheevas there. Perhaps you will always prefer groomed, but the Sheeva could make ungroomed/bumps appealing to you...just sayin'. I have demoed many iterations of the Kenja over the years and it does make you feel like a super hero on the groomers, but blech in bumps.

The Sheeva 9 will be debuting the changes in 2024. Unless a shop gets in some 2024s, the Sheeva you can demo now is still the original construction and 92mm; the 2024 will be 96mm. The current Kenja has been softened a bit from previous years.
I just finished test fest this past week. I liked the changes to the 2024 Sheeva, put it more on par with the Nordica Santa Anna 93. Still pretty quick and agile but with more gusto! PS I’m a cornball for the hidden lone wolf in the graphics! Lol! I didn’t feel that the Kenja was that much softer so much as lighter with a lower swing weight because of the shovel. Still liked both skis very much!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished test fest this past week. I liked the changes to the 2024 Sheeva, put it more on par with the Nordica Santa Anna 93. Still pretty quick and agile but with more gusto! PS I’m a cornball for the hidden lone wolf in the graphics! Lol! I didn’t feel that the Kenja was that much softer so much as lighter with a lower swing weight because of the shovel. Still liked both skis very much!
I just tried the newer Kenja at Killington a couple weeks ago, and like you I didn't feel like it felt that much softer. Still couldn't bend it at my size (95 lbs).

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@lisamamot,

Thank you for elaborating in the differences between the Sheeva and the Santa Ana. I do prefer groomers, so the SA might be a more suitable option for me. I do not venture much through the trees, and the bumps seem harsh on my knees, so it’s my least preferred terrain. I will seek out to try the Santa Ana 93 on top of the 88. What length would o you suggest for my size (5’3” 125lbs) in the SA 88 and 93?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot,

Thank you for elaborating in the differences between the Sheeva and the Santa Ana. I do prefer groomers, so the SA might be a more suitable option for me. I do not venture much through the trees, and the bumps seem harsh on my knees, so it’s my least preferred terrain. I will seek out to try the Santa Ana 93 on top of the 88. What length would o you suggest for my size (5’3” 125lbs) in the SA 88 and 93?
Hmmmm, I may have misread your specs earlier. The Sheeva 9 164 would be over your head, so perhaps you should start with the next size down especially in the Santa Ana? Santa Ana 88 and 93 in the 158 and potentially the Sheeva 9 in 157 or 164.

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm, I may have misread your specs earlier. The Sheeva 9 164 would be over your head, so perhaps you should start with the next size down especially in the Santa Ana? Santa Ana 88 and 93 in the 158 and potentially the Sheeva 9 in 157 or 164.
I’m 5’4”, sorry, I had a typo in my prior message. I think still with that extra inch the 158 or 157 are probably more suited for me, right? I’ve been skiing a 156 for years. I feel comfortable with that length. I could go a few cm longer, but probably not too many.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I’m 5’4”, sorry, I had a typo in my prior message. I think still with that extra inch the 158 or 157 are probably more suited for me, right? I’ve been skiing a 156 for years. I feel comfortable with that length. I could go a few cm longer, but probably not too many.
Remember though the 2011 Kenja you have been skiing has very little, if any, rocker. The Santa Ana and Sheeva 9 have rocker so you may be comfortable skiing them a bit longer.

The Santa Ana is quite stable so you may be fine on the 158. @MissySki is your size and skies the Sheeva 9 164. Doesn't hurt to try it in both sizes if you are able.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga