• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demo day vs. demoing through a shop

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Which would you do? (Spoiler alert, I suspect the answer will be "both." LOL)

I am hoping to demo longer skis this season. (My current skis are 154s, and at 5'7" and on the heavy side, they are short, even though I still have fun skiing on them.)

Holiday Valley, which is the largest ski area in my neck of the woods, will have their annual demo day on December 18th. If I can get childcare, I am considering going. It would probably be my first ski day of the season, and I have only skied HV once, several years ago, before I became more interested in and serious about actually learning to ski. Several shops will be represented at the demo day. Demoing would be free, but I would have to pay for a day lift ticket.

Or I can schedule my own personal demo day through a local shop (Mud, Sweat and Gears, a shop that will also be represented at the Holiday Valley ski swap) and check out up to 5-6 pairs for a day for like $50. I could do this on my own schedule and use the skis at the smaller ski area where we are members, where I am more familiar with the terrain already.

Is it worth trying to do the bigger demo day? Or will I probably be happier just doing my own smaller day a little bit into the season, when I have my ski legs under me a bit?

Also, I had planned to do a few private lessons this season -- is it a reasonable use of a lesson to do the demo day on a lesson day and have the instructor give me some feedback on the skis (or on my fave 2-3 after I try them out a bit?)

These might seem like really stupid questions to more experienced skiers. I have just never done a demo day before and am intimidated about what to expect! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Where in relation to the slopes is the ski shop? If you take a pair out and don't even want to finish the run, are you going to have to drive to the shop to grab something else.

That's why demo days are great. If you don't like the ski at the first turn, it's not hard to change.

But - demo days are popular and sometimes people don't get that someone else might want to try that ski. Most rep's ask you to do only a couple of runs and get them back. Some people hog them and ski 1/2 the day on them. So one else gets to try them. At a shop you're chances of that happening is less as you go in with a list.

A shop may ask you to pay, but usually that can be applied to the purchase price if you buy skis.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Here’s my both answer.
1) do the free day. You’re only out a lift ticket, and you ski kid free for a day and try skis. fun! If anything jumps out at you, done. You’re out the lift ticket and you’ll probably get that much back in ski discount for the demo offer.
2) if nothing sang to you at HV, then you do the MSG personal demo day. The $50 goes towards your purchase, probably.

You knew the answer was both, you just needed someone to justify it for you.
:thumbsup:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another plus to doing both days is if you have a couple of top contenders from the first day, you then have a list of skis to request for your personal day, and more time to test them out on familiar runs. It's surprising how many skis you can try out on a demo day, but then be left wondering at the end of the day how much was it the ski, your legs early in the day vs end of the day, conditions early in the day vs end of the day, etc. I often like to test a potential new ski out on multiple occasions. It helps to decide if it was just a one off thing, or a ski that really makes me smile. Even if you think you found your ski, you can take it out again in different lengths.

If you do the E-ville demo day I recommend taking a photo of each ski that shows ski name and length.

Christy

Angel Diva
I agree, do the demo day first. I do think you have to allow for the possibility that neither option will go as smoothly or let you try all the skis you want and that you will end up doing both. My experience is that it can be hard to try all (or any) of the skis that I want at a demo day, because they are checked out by others, who often don't return them as quickly as they should. So then you have to choose trying other skis that you are less interested in, or just hanging around the booth waiting for that one pair to come back.

In terms of checking them out from the shop...is the shop right at the ski hill base? If not, that doesn't seem practical to try more than one pair. I've demoed from a shop literally at the base of a lift, at Sun Valley, that said you can try as many as you want, but just swapping once was a pain. First you have to ski down and off the mountain. Unlike at a demo day, they didn't have dedicated people there just to fit bindings, so I had to wait until they helped other customers with whatever, then adjust the bindings, then go back outside and to the lift, go up the hill...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last time I tried skis during a demo day, I had to spend time waiting for a ski that would work for me. Most of the skis in the demo tent were for larger people (read: men). Once I had the ski, I did enjoy skiing it. Then I had to return it and stand in line to give it back. I like to ski, not stand in line.

The times before that when I tried to demo skis from demo tents, they had nothing that I was intereseted in; everything available was too long or too fat. I kept checking back to check if the the skis I wanted (read: sized for women, not 178 pound men) had been returned, they hadn't.

I gave up on demo tents at the mountain.

Is it better now? Are there more skis available where you demo that are sized for skiers who weigh from 110 to 155?

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
The times before that when I tried to demo skis from demo tents, they had nothing that I was intereseted in; everything available was too long or too fat. I kept checking back to check if the the skis I wanted (read: sized for women, not 178 pound men) had been returned, they hadn't.

Is it better now? Are there more skis available where you demo that are sized for skiers who weigh from 110 to 155?

Correct size for weight won't be an issue for me as a plus-size skier-- mens skis may be more right for me! But spending all day waiting and having my first day out be super busy and frustrating is sort of what I am hesitant about. :smile: So I appreciate the point of view!

In the past, the demo info from the shop seemed to say that one can take out multiple pairs at one time for the day. (Shop not on site at a ski hill.) They of course overhauled their website and the whole demo day page is gone. LOL. So I wrote to the shop to clarify how it works. Driving back and forth to a ski shop multiple times in one day obviously wouldn't work for trying several pairs!

The smallness of our ski area means that it is impossible NOT to end up close to the same base spot multiple times throughout the day, so swapping out would not be inconvenient at my home hill.

Christy

Angel Diva

I imagine it can be different at different times and places. The brand reps can bring whatever they want to their tent, right? It's all meant to sell skis. The Crystal Mt demo day, which is what I have the most experience with, usually has skis in the sizes I want (I am ~120) but it's not hard to believe that some reps in some places forget about women.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Another plus to doing both days is if you have a couple of top contenders from the first day, you then have a list of skis to request for your personal day, and more time to test them out on familiar runs. It's surprising how many skis you can try out on a demo day, but then be left wondering at the end of the day how much was it the ski, your legs early in the day vs end of the day, conditions early in the day vs end of the day, etc. I often like to test a potential new ski out on multiple occasions. It helps to decide if it was just a one off thing, or a ski that really makes me smile. Even if you think you found your ski, you can take it out again in different lengths.

If you do the E-ville demo day I recommend taking a photo of each ski that shows ski name and length.
Agree with @diymom -- I will also be demo-ing skis this season, and I ran across this article: How to Demo Skis Efficiently

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's my take on a free demo day with brand tents and a personal demo day on a small mountain. In the last 15 years, I've been able to do the annual free demo day with skis provided by a local ski shop at my home hill, Massanutten, free demo days at assorted mountains, and a couple of personal demo days at a destination resort. What I learned at the first demo day in 2006 is that even as an intermediate, I could tell the difference between skis that were fun and skis that were too much work or felt unstable. That was based on very short runs (NC mountain) that lasted 3-4 minutes at most.

FREE DEMO DAY

* Get to try several of brands/models.
* Pays to be flexible. I learn as much or more from skis I don't like as skis that are on the list of contenders.
* Reps tend to be knowledgeable about the models available.

PERSONAL DEMO DAY

* More likely to have the length and width of primary interest.
*. More likely to be able to change to a different length of the same model.
*. More likely to be able to take out a favorite model more than once to confirm that it's "the one."
*. More likely to get useful advice from the shop after providing feedback for skis after checking them out.

A free demo day with brand tents is quite different from one where a ski shop brings out a few pairs of skis from a their most popular brands. For instance, I already know that there won't be any Nela 88 skis to check out because they are so popular the ski shop doesn't want to mount any with demo bindings. They only have a few pairs left to sell as of Nov and fully expect to sell out.

With 10-15 brand tents, I generally go to the one with the shortest line once lines build up. if I can to try 2-3 pairs of skis on my list, that's fine. Any other skis I get to check out add to my ability to read reviews and understand more about why I like some skis and don't like others.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I have only done personal demo days at shops at the resort base. I've also bought a demo ski late season after really liking one that they offered at deep discount, only downside being heavier demo bindings. Typically, they allow you to swap out as many times as you want, but you do have to return to the shop. I've tried to do this on off-peak days so it's not crowded and usually bindings can be reset quickly. Sometimes I've told them what I want to demo next, and they have them ready although they can't guarantee someone else won't take them out. I've done this at Snowmass and Stowe some years ago and then bought on sale on line later, and at Loon last year, using the fee toward purchase at Loon that same day. In all three, they had plenty of skis for my size 5'5 and shrinking, and weight . .132-140 (and increasing) although not every ski in every size. You sound like you might be a bit overwhelmed by the scene at a free demo day at a relatively unfamiliar resort, on the other hand, why not give it a shot. Maybe go to MSG tent to start on the free day, and then return to them for your personal demo day(s) . . . some shops will let you credit more than one demo day, although I think a limit of 2 or 3 credits is not unusual. Maybe try to research what MSG will be demoing in what lengths, so you can be "prepared" to make selections and have backups, and then go to other tent only if there are gaps in what they are offering compared to your needs. Maybe you should go to MSG on a reconnaissance mission at a non-busy time to scope out what they are demoing/selling. I think it helps to prepare and have an action plan . . . which is what you are doing by posting here! Go for it.

newboots

Angel Diva
If you demo at the Holiday Valley event, try skiing the same (easy) trail with different skis. It shouldn't be so intimidating once you've been down the trail a couple of times, and it's easier to compare skis that way. (It doesn't have to be just one trail, but if you're feeling intimidated, best to be on easier trails.)

And have fun!

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Which would you do? (Spoiler alert, I suspect the answer will be "both." LOL)

I am hoping to demo longer skis this season. (My current skis are 154s, and at 5'7" and on the heavy side, they are short, even though I still have fun skiing on them.)

Holiday Valley, which is the largest ski area in my neck of the woods, will have their annual demo day on December 18th. If I can get childcare, I am considering going. It would probably be my first ski day of the season, and I have only skied HV once, several years ago, before I became more interested in and serious about actually learning to ski. Several shops will be represented at the demo day. Demoing would be free, but I would have to pay for a day lift ticket.

Or I can schedule my own personal demo day through a local shop (Mud, Sweat and Gears, a shop that will also be represented at the Holiday Valley ski swap) and check out up to 5-6 pairs for a day for like $50. I could do this on my own schedule and use the skis at the smaller ski area where we are members, where I am more familiar with the terrain already.

Is it worth trying to do the bigger demo day? Or will I probably be happier just doing my own smaller day a little bit into the season, when I have my ski legs under me a bit?

Also, I had planned to do a few private lessons this season -- is it a reasonable use of a lesson to do the demo day on a lesson day and have the instructor give me some feedback on the skis (or on my fave 2-3 after I try them out a bit?)

These might seem like really stupid questions to more experienced skiers. I have just never done a demo day before and am intimidated about what to expect! :smile:
Not a stupid question! I think smaller is better. I’ve done a bunch of demos at my home mountain, it’s good to try skis on familiar terrain. Unless you have your heart set on a ski your shop doesn’t carry, you will be happy. Just prepare to fall in love and buy new skis! (Every time I demoed! )

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Definitely ski the same easy trail with diff skis and for those that you like push a little to something steeper or icier or bumpier! A favorite will emerge. Diff lengths of the same ski can be very helpful too.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As an instructor I would probably say to not waste your money on having an instructor with you during demo day. What might be better is is to take a short lesson beforehand and have an instructo take you through some of the movements such as site slipping and hockey stopping some carving et cetera that you would want to try with each ski..

I have definitely been around helping my guests try skis that they were thinking of buying. Typically most of the day is spent waiting either in the lift line or in the demo line to get set up. I have my favorite skis my colleagues have their favorite skis and at the end of the day a lot of it is up to just what the individual person feels with that set of skis and it really differs. I am often impressed in a very positive way by the differences that even a rank beginner can feel between skis.

Don't forget to try different lengths of the same skis as they can feel very different.

The advantage maybe of doing your own personal demo day is that you can do so on a day when the conditions are best for figuring out which ski you want. I have personally always felt that most powder skis are gonna handle powder well it is how they handle ice that has me as me more curious. And if not ice at least weird hard pack because by the end of a powder day the conditions can often change or the powder can get scraped off and I want to know that I'm gonna Is ski that ski well no matter what the conditions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The advantage maybe of doing your own personal demo day is that you can do so on a day when the conditions are best for figuring out which ski you want. I have personally always felt that most powder skis are gonna handle powder well it is how they handle ice that has me as me more curious. And if not ice at least weird hard pack because by the end of a powder day the conditions can often change or the powder can get scraped off and I want to know that I'm gonna Is ski that ski well no matter what the conditions.
Doesn't apply to the OP's question, but I have done semi-private lessons with demo skis at destination resorts. Usually when there is fresh snow deep enough that it would be worth experimenting during the rest of the day before/after the lesson. In those cases, I've used skis that I know I'm going to like for the lesson based on previous experience with demo rentals or demo days out west. As long as I check out another 2-3 pairs, it makes for a cost-effective way to learn more about skis I might want to buy some day.

The annual demo day at Alta is the first Saturday of April. More than half the time in the last decade there isn't any powder to be had. But I always learn something from a run or two on groomers, with perhaps a short section of ungroomed terrain. Definitely helps to know the terrain well in that situation to get the most out of the demo opportunity.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
meh, I think the weather is probably deciding for me that I'm not going to the Holiday Valley demo day next weekend. Even if they can manage to keep some stuff open through this coming week, I think the conditions will be too crummy for me to enjoy as my first day out for the season, especially if trying to compare unfamiliar skis. Blargh, weather!!!

eville weather.PNG

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
It is going to be *60* here on Wednesday and I can’t even process that. The good news is that it was so cold this week that they blew a TON of snow, so I am hoping that the warmth just compacts it into a good base, and they will keep blowing when the weather cools down. our schedules have been too insane to get out yet, and that’s bumming me out. But this morning my husband reminded me that we have 10 days off with our kids and then days during January and February that will be ripe for going.

newboots

Angel Diva
meh, I think the weather is probably deciding for me that I'm not going to the Holiday Valley demo day next weekend. Even if they can manage to keep some stuff open through this coming week, I think the conditions will be too crummy for me to enjoy as my first day out for the season, especially if trying to compare unfamiliar skis. Blargh, weather!!!

View attachment 17141
Wow! They can't even blow snow most of those nights! Ugh!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna