• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Deer Valley review - not worth the money

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
My husband and I went skiing at Deer Valley for the first time over the weekend. I had always heard about DV's exceptional grooming and customer service, which were the main motivations for trying it out (and paying out of pocket since we're not on Ikon), but unfortunately, there were a lot of disappointing elements. We pulled up to the parking lot at 8:20 am on Saturday, 40 mins before opening, and the only spots left were in the farthest-away lot (Lot 5). That's when I had a bad omen about the crowds. Then it took 35 minutes in the ticket window line to pick up our pre-paid tickets, which was so frustrating - I've never been in a line like that in my entire life and there were absolutely no staff around to help control the line or point people in the right directions. After 30 minutes of waiting, someone came over and announced that Ikon passholders didn't need to wait in line this year, which I can only imagine was really frustrating for everyone who had already wasted so much time there. I had heard there are "greeters" around, but I never once saw one. It was disappointing that there wasn't a separate window for online orders as well.

We managed to get in some great skiing and I did enjoy a lot of the runs/terrain there, but the Saturday crowds were out of control to the point where we constantly overheard people complaining about how it was the worst non-holiday crowd they'd ever seen. There was also a rumor that DV has been overselling its ticket cap lately - we heard several season pass holders claim that there were more like 11-12K people on the slopes instead of the 9,500 as specified in the cap. I can't speak to whether that's true or not, but I was surprised to hear it from multiple people. DV did confirm that they hit the cap mid-morning on their social media, which I had heard was a very rare thing and not something that just happens on random weekends. I don't know if they did on Sunday, but fortunately the crowds seemed much better then and we spent minimal time waiting in lift lines.

Finally, I saw absolutely no evidence of exceptional customer service. While that's normally not a big deal to me (I typically ski at smaller, no-frills resorts like Sugar Bowl), I was surprised based on all I'd heard over the years about the "Deer Valley difference" (one woman on the chairlift sneered "there's no difference anymore", if that tells you anything). I don't think I had a single staff member say hello, including the lifties, and I never once saw any kind of service that I would call exceptional. We used the complimentary ski storage, which was a nice touch, but the staff there banged up our skis and simply said "no" when we asked for a receipt for the $10 wax we paid for. It just didn't go "above and beyond" in any way.

I don't entirely blame DV for the crowds on Saturday since the road closure in Little Cottonwood Canyon and the World Cup event (which I didn't realize was happening) surely increased the crowds, but when you combine that with the mediocre/poor service, I'm not sure why I paid so much money to ski there. The grooming was fine (not exceptional - no real complaints but it didn't seem different from anywhere else) and it just didn't seem special in any way. I will say that the hot chocolate was very good, much better than most resorts for a similar price, but that's about it. Maybe if I had really utilized the dining options or the ski school, I would have a different impression since I know those are well-regarded, but ultimately, it wasn't a fit for us.

All that being said, my husband skied his first black diamonds ever there and that's the highlight that we'll be taking away! Thank god Sunday was less crowded so we could get in some great runs. I did like the terrain and the views quite a bit, but I can get great terrain and views at cheaper, less crowded places. Thought I'd leave this review here before others treat DV as a "splurge" like we did and come away a bit disappointed. Skiing is always fun no matter what, but going to DV was a one-time thing for sure.

mustski

Angel Diva
I like DV but I’ve never understood what all the buzz was about. It’s definitely always had a more high end vibe in the lodges, and the food is good. As far as the actual skiing, it’s no better than most places I’ve skied and not as good as quite a few. Probably the crowds were due to the road closure

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I would send this to DV management, if you haven't already. Or, just link that you posted it here. :smile:

I considered it, but I'm not really sure what's actionable for them other than giving receipts for waxes (or at least being friendly and not responding with a "no." when asked for one...).

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second sending your experience to DV management. I believe in the power of feedback, good and bad.

I enjoyed reading about your experience, good and bad.

I’ve always wanted to ski DV for the experience, you know, the one THEY market to everyone? The outstanding service, the impeccable grooming, the ambiance of a non crowded resort, foodie heaven, etc. It irks me when a company claims in their own marketing how they’re different and special then fails to deliver. I wasn’t there, but know DV has been open a long time and this wasn’t their first rodeo dealing with weather, road closures, and a higher than usual influx of online ticket sales. Skiing is an expensive endeavor for the guest and the resort. When DV claims they’re on top of their service game, they need to show it.

THE DEER VALLEY DIFFERENCE
Some things in life can be quantified, but at Deer Valley, we focus on the immeasurable. We realize that so much can be enjoyed in one day, one hour or even one moment during your stay, which is why we have one of the highest staff-to-guest ratios in the industry. And, a sterling reputation as a world-class ski resort. Where you ski is your business. Your experience after you arrive is ours.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My one time visit to Deer Valley almost 20 years ago did feel high end. The food was great, the grooming superb. But Beaver Creek was also ritzier-feeling. In fact, they gave me free chocolate chip cookies.

I'm against paying high ticket prices for any reason, even cookies, these days. You don't get what you pay for, which is a nice stress free day in good conditions. Did any of you see the pictures of Vail this week?

The lifties here talk to you. That part should certainly be free.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I've enjoyed my trips to Deer Valley (only 2) I also feel like maybe I expected "more" given their marketing. I didn't think the grooming was anything special (like they tell you it is) and also didn't find the staff to be especially friendly (the first trip some staffer chased me away from a table I was trying to sit at saying it was reserved--it was the way they did it that didn't sit well with me--too hard to explain online). I do think the cafeteria food is very good. But overall, I have not come away feeling like I got a really special experience.

Part of me wonders if the "Deer Valley Difference" may be reserved for those staying at one of the $700+/night properties. In a way, I hope it is, otherwise if I paid that and got an average experience I'd really feel annoyed.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely send your write up and/or the link to this, good or bad they need to know.
I agree they've had big events before and should be able to maintain the service they sell.
I'm guessing lots of people probably beyond the 8500 they claim they limit too added to the disappointment. I had a different experience.

I was fortunate to go to Deer Valley Mid week just before the World cup- we watched them set up the bump trail, stage etc. Lucky Us...We did experience superb customer service, grooming, food etc. We drove, so I would drop my GF's off at the main entrance, then park the car, the ski valets were right there to help take our skis out of the car and carry them to the rack. At end of day they did the same, one day they even walked back up to the racks by the slopes to carry our skis! Guest services at the ticket window was also very nice guy there was no one in line so no pressure.
The trails do have perfect fall lines so makes for easy skiing, the grooming was nice. Skiing midweek we also had very short or no lift lines (Sunday at Solitude lines were much longer) DV gets less snow and more sun than LLC or BCC so trails are scratchier but being from the East I still can't say they are icy. We had fun exploring just cruising around. We did ski 'wall to wall' and checked out the whole Mt. in 3 days we met Only One Crabby lifty down on a lift on our way to the Jordanelle gondola. The rest were chatty and nice. Gondola people helped put skis in and out of gondola.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback and will send my own to the resort - may as well. I did enjoy the terrain and agree about the fall lines; I found the runs very pleasant to ski and my intermediate husband skied better than he ever has. It definitely wasn't a total loss, just not the amazing experience I expected.

I do wonder if we might have gotten better service if we had stayed at some of the fancy lodging, but it was out of our budget and I'm glad we didn't. The Best Western Plus is more our speed and I would be kicking myself if I had splurged on lodging and been disappointed with it as well.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Skiwest..sorry you didn’t have the best experience at Deer Valley. I ski there regularly and have stayed at the higher end lodging by Snow Park but not enjoy The Best Western like you and still receive the great service from all the employees. Let management know about your experience as they always respond and appreciate feedback and maybe give DV another try. Hope to see you sometime there.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
For me, the real luxury of Deer Valley is not having to contend with the hordes of snowboarders who, bless their hearts, can never seem to pick a line and whom I am loathe to pass due to their limited field of vision.

I like Deer Valley and as long as the resort is included in my annual pass I will continue to make an annual mid-week pilgrimage. And while I do enjoy the various niceties while I am there (ample glove driers, better-than-average food, clean restrooms...), I have become so accustomed to the less-than luxury amenities at my home resort that I do not find them an absolute necessity. What I do appreciate is the blissful lack of snowboard bros.

Last edited:

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
My husband and I went skiing at Deer Valley for the first time over the weekend. I had always heard about DV's exceptional grooming and customer service, which were the main motivations for trying it out (and paying out of pocket since we're not on Ikon), but unfortunately, there were a lot of disappointing elements. We pulled up to the parking lot at 8:20 am on Saturday, 40 mins before opening, and the only spots left were in the farthest-away lot (Lot 5). That's when I had a bad omen about the crowds. Then it took 35 minutes in the ticket window line to pick up our pre-paid tickets, which was so frustrating - I've never been in a line like that in my entire life and there were absolutely no staff around to help control the line or point people in the right directions. After 30 minutes of waiting, someone came over and announced that Ikon passholders didn't need to wait in line this year, which I can only imagine was really frustrating for everyone who had already wasted so much time there. I had heard there are "greeters" around, but I never once saw one. It was disappointing that there wasn't a separate window for online orders as well.

We managed to get in some great skiing and I did enjoy a lot of the runs/terrain there, but the Saturday crowds were out of control to the point where we constantly overheard people complaining about how it was the worst non-holiday crowd they'd ever seen. There was also a rumor that DV has been overselling its ticket cap lately - we heard several season pass holders claim that there were more like 11-12K people on the slopes instead of the 9,500 as specified in the cap. I can't speak to whether that's true or not, but I was surprised to hear it from multiple people. DV did confirm that they hit the cap mid-morning on their social media, which I had heard was a very rare thing and not something that just happens on random weekends. I don't know if they did on Sunday, but fortunately the crowds seemed much better then and we spent minimal time waiting in lift lines.

Finally, I saw absolutely no evidence of exceptional customer service. While that's normally not a big deal to me (I typically ski at smaller, no-frills resorts like Sugar Bowl), I was surprised based on all I'd heard over the years about the "Deer Valley difference" (one woman on the chairlift sneered "there's no difference anymore", if that tells you anything). I don't think I had a single staff member say hello, including the lifties, and I never once saw any kind of service that I would call exceptional. We used the complimentary ski storage, which was a nice touch, but the staff there banged up our skis and simply said "no" when we asked for a receipt for the $10 wax we paid for. It just didn't go "above and beyond" in any way.

I don't entirely blame DV for the crowds on Saturday since the road closure in Little Cottonwood Canyon and the World Cup event (which I didn't realize was happening) surely increased the crowds, but when you combine that with the mediocre/poor service, I'm not sure why I paid so much money to ski there. The grooming was fine (not exceptional - no real complaints but it didn't seem different from anywhere else) and it just didn't seem special in any way. I will say that the hot chocolate was very good, much better than most resorts for a similar price, but that's about it. Maybe if I had really utilized the dining options or the ski school, I would have a different impression since I know those are well-regarded, but ultimately, it wasn't a fit for us.

All that being said, my husband skied his first black diamonds ever there and that's the highlight that we'll be taking away! Thank god Sunday was less crowded so we could get in some great runs. I did like the terrain and the views quite a bit, but I can get great terrain and views at cheaper, less crowded places. Thought I'd leave this review here before others treat DV as a "splurge" like we did and come away a bit disappointed. Skiing is always fun no matter what, but going to DV was a one-time thing for sure.

I was there Saturday and it was AWFUL. I can confirm that Saturday was NOT normal....and quite unpleasant.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was there Saturday and it was AWFUL. I can confirm that Saturday was NOT normal....and quite unpleasant.
My impression is that the fact that Alta/Snowbird were closed on Thu and Fri had a pretty big impact on the other canyons last weekend. In this case, the fact that DV is on Ikon is probably a factor since travelers had the option of going there. I've heard that Solitude was turning people away on Sat once the parking lot was full.

My friends and I were at DV on Sunday. Seemed pretty busy first thing in the morning at the Snowpark base. But once on the mountain, it was fine. We spent most of the time over on the Empire side. All my interactions with DV staff were good. That included people at the locker room basket check, food service at Empire, and lifties in general.

altagirl

Staff member
I always enjoy it and feel spoiled, but have to admit that when we go, a large part of that it's the food and drink (and we usually do the buffet ast the Montage for lunch and then apres ski ast the St. Regis. ) And it's never been overly crowded. Sounds like terrible bad luck with little cottonwood being closed.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I think it really depends when you go. We were at Stowe over Christmas break and it was crowded and annoying. Deer Valley last week felt like total luxury and a ghost town in comparison. ... until Friday. When the other mountains were closed, the crowds poured in.

That much said, we’ve got no choice but to ski when school is out next season. Pondering whether DV will feel better than Stowe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I heard of people who ended up at DV on Sat, Feb. 8 because they avoided LCC and then were turned away from Solitude because the parking lot was full. In this case, the existence of DV days for Ikon holders combined with Ikon days meant there were people decided to give DV a try. It was certainly not a powder day.

Sun, Feb. 9 at DV was also a bit busier than usual. An instructor I talked on the lift to attributed it to the start of a holiday week since next weekend is Pres. Day weekend. We didn't really have issues on the slopes. Expected a crowd during lunch at Empire, so that wasn't a surprise. I gather that for DV, "early lunch" means finding a table shortly after 11:00. Bill was in the lodge by 11:20 and got a good table for our little group.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always enjoy it and feel spoiled, but have to admit that when we go, a large part of that it's the food and drink (and we usually do the buffet ast the Montage for lunch and then apres ski ast the St. Regis. ) And it's never been overly crowded. Sounds like terrible bad luck with little cottonwood being closed.
The food IS amazing. I don’t ski well when I’m full but do give the places a try when I’m there. I miss my IKON pass!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm another who has a dislike for DV. My partner had to go back to the motel for his helmet so he suggested I do the mountain tour. I got on the gondola, it took about 10 minutes in line. The lifties were pleasant. As a single I couldn't figure out where the single line was. There wasn't anyone around to guide me to the line. I asked someone in line and they said "you're in the singles line". Some locals guided me to Snow Park base. I saw no employees to ask about time or meeting spot for the tour. Later in the day we saw a sign at the top of the lift for the tour meeting place.

I didn't care for the mountain layout and short runs. Lines weren't bad but it seemed like we were always poling to the chairs or on cat walks. Seems like the place was put together to sell condos. Grooming left a lot to be desired.

We ate lunch at Empire. We brown bag so I can't talk about the food. One thing that surprised me were the fireplaces in every room. With the pollution issues in Salt Lake I'm surprised they were burning wood. Wood smoke is one of my asthma triggers so we had a difficult time finding a table in a spot where I wouldn't be affected by the smoke particles. Outside the smoke was worse for me so I had to get out of the area fast.

One good thing the resort is doing is posting signs that say "Know the zone, every skier gets 15 ft" I hope the signs catch on and get posted at every ski area around the country.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I sent in my feedback to Deer Valley almost a week ago and haven’t gotten a response of any kind. Not too impressed by that either, especially since I couldn’t get a second response from the concierge I had emailed there asking about lodging options before our trip. Slow or no response to emails just seems unusual for a resort that prides itself on being different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna