• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Deciding on skis...

Kiz

Diva in Training
Hi everyone! I've only just joined this forum tonight after stumbling on it by chance -- and what a great resource it is!

So I was hoping to get some advice on choosing some skis... :noidea:

A little about me. I'm 31, 5' 2.5" (that half is very important!) and 115lbs. I am marginally obsessed about snow, but am a bit of a perfectionist, who sacrifices speed for technique.

I can ski confidently intermediate runs, and will ski blacks, but with a gumby knee, they take their toll... so I will often stick to the blues and go harder, than go the blacks and wear out my knee.

The catch. I only ski in Australia. Unfortunately, I'm often faced with my two personal demons... ice and crud :eek: !!! It also means I'm mostly restricted to groomed runs, and in the 11 years I've been skiing as an adult, I've only skiied in what you guys would call powder once!!! I've been skiing on a pair of Atomics which are about 5 years old... but I find them a bit hard going in the afternoon sludge, as they're 160s.

I know I should demo, but I'm trying to pick up an end of season deal in the US and get it shipped over here (at half the price I can buy them here :thumbsup: ).

I had been thinking of the K2 One Luv's (146cm)... but after reading a few reviews about the Volkl Attiva Luna's (149cm), I'm starting to re-think things...

I guess I want a ski that will improve my confidence on ice and crud, but I won't 'grow out of' too quickly.

I'm sorry for such a long winded post... but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Cheers, Kiz :smile:

(Oh, and whilst our season opened last weekend, we have no snow!!! Fingers crossed for 6" tomorrow to start things moving!! :snow: )

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. Good questions. First your snow conditions are similar to north america eastern's. So we have lots of people that can help. Which Atomics were you on?? If there were the Metron's then I think that length and weight of the skis is an issue. Ladies skis are much lighter. I'm not up on the K2 or Volkl, there are many here who are, but the Nordica Victory you might like, the Rossi Z5 and Fisher Breeze. I would suggest shorter too than 160. I'm currently on the Rossi Z5 in 154 and I'm 5'4.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(Oh, and whilst our season opened last weekend, we have no snow!!! Fingers crossed for 6" tomorrow to start things moving!! :snow: )

sorry for offtopic:
have a nice season, it will surely start snowing in the next days :D. i'm kind of jealous, cause you can only ski on the glacier here in austira anymore (which is great, but just a means to an end to sruvive the summer. though i wanna try doing some things on the waterramp to shorten the time till the first snowfall)

I think you would love the Volkl Attiva Lunas in a 156 or even shorter if you prefer given your weight and height. They would be great for the conditions you mention and are nimble and reliable....

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with Jilly that you should focus your search on skis shorter than 160, but I also think that skiing a length that is appropriate for your right now (146-149) as an intermediate will improve your skiing to the point where a mid-150 will be most appropriate. Does that make any sense? (I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep right now....)

I can ski confidently intermediate runs, and will ski blacks, but with a gumby knee, they take their toll... so I will often stick to the blues and go harder, than go the blacks and wear out my knee.

For what it's worth, I think there's a strong possibility that you're a strong intermediate and that the blacks take a toll on the knee because your skill level and ski length don't match up, and that if you're on a better length, you may discover that it's not the knee that was holding you back. Just my 2cents.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I agree with Jilly that you should focus your search on skis shorter than 160, but I also think that skiing a length that is appropriate for your right now (146-149) as an intermediate will improve your skiing to the point where a mid-150 will be most appropriate. Does that make any sense? (I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep right now....)

For what it's worth, I think there's a strong possibility that you're a strong intermediate and that the blacks take a toll on the knee because your skill level and ski length don't match up, and that if you're on a better length, you may discover that it's not the knee that was holding you back. Just my 2cents.

Ditto, what they said! I to am curious as to which atomic you are on. Model and size really matter. Hopefully you will be skiing soon it's 80 and sunny here!:Cry:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will mimic the rest of the Divas with the query on which ski you are on.

I would not go for the one luv in the conditions you are describing. I would think it may be a tad soft for you in the crud, though they would be fine on hard pack and ice.
IIRC the Luna is a bit stiffer and has the edge grip you're looking for in those conditions.
I'm going to throw another suggestion in the mix, though I'm not sure of its availability in Australia.
Look at the Hart Desire
https://www.hartskis.com/products/carving.php

Kiz

Diva in Training
Thanks for the replies so far! :clap:

I definitely agree that the Atomics are too long. Actually now that I think about it, I got them back in 2002.

They are only the bottom of the Atomic range -- 6.18s. I remember the guy at the shop telling me to ski to my height (I'm 158cm)... and that I was too little to be able notice the difference with a better ski... at the time I was naive enough to believe him!!!

I'm doing so much more research this time round, as I think the Atomics are holding me back for sure!!

Jilly

Staff member
Yes the 6 line was the low end. (I live in Atomic town) If you like Atomic's take a look at the Sugar Mama's. They are from the Nomad line. So, you're 158cm, you should be looking at no longer than 150cm. (These Yanks don't do metric, except for ski length) Are there any more particular skis you were thinking about?

Kiz

Diva in Training
Ok, so to summarise things, suggestions so far have been to keep under 150 and look into...

Nordica Victory
Rossi Z5
Fisher Breeze
Volkl Attiva Lunas
Hart Desire (I haven't heard of these)
Sugar Mama's (ditto)

But perhaps steering away from the K2 One Luvs, as they are not so good in the crud.

What about the other Luvs? Or are there any others I should look into?

Thanks again for your comments so far!! I'm determined to make my decision by Monday as I've been 'umming and ahhing' over what ski to get for way too long!!!!

Oh, and we have FINALLY got some snow... though only about 4 inches...

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
one lov's are pretty darn good for an all around front side bent. crud and powder really don't bug em that much, I 'd leave them on your demo list. they are fun and forgiving, but if you have knee issues the sugar momma is lighter.

Kiz

Diva in Training
Finally, I've made a decision!

Just wanted to give you all an update... I have FINALLY made a decision!!!

After all your posts and trawling extensively through your reviews and comments, I decided on... the Volkl Attiva Lunas. :snow:

The key factor in my decision was that so many of you talked about how they have helped you progress -- and that's my primary aim right now!

They should hopefully be shipped Monday (US time) and arrive by the end of the week!!! :yahoo:

Now of only there were some snow to ski on... :doh:

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!! :clap:

Cheers, Kiz.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They should hopefully be shipped Monday (US time) and arrive by the end of the week!!! :yahoo:

Now of only there were some snow to ski on... :doh:

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!! :clap:

Cheers, Kiz.
:thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
We need a review as soon as you can get them on snow. Remember its really warm now in the northern hemisphere. You're one of the few skiing/sliding!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga