• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Marry your boots; date your skis."

This is one of the first things I remember reading when I stumbled across the Ski Diva forums about four years ago or so while googling "skis to help a female beginner" or something along those lines.

I remember reading about custom footbeds too, but my inner cheapskate and my "I'm only a beginner" voice prevented me from giving them any serious consideration.

After my step up to intermediate boots a season and a half ago, I did at least replace the footbeds that came in the new boots with aftermarket ones that the bootfitter suggested. I'm don't think he suggested custom footbeds, but if he had I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I'm a low intermediate, fair-weather skier; I don't love scraped-off and windblown hardpack, avoid ice like crazy, not a fan of damp cold, and generally get in between 5 - 10 ski days in a year. So why do I need or deserve custom footbeds?

Fast forward a year and a half. It's a bluebird spring Saturday at the start of a week-long trip to Lake Tahoe in early April. I got more vertical in during a women's cancer charity fundraiser and clinic day than I had during my entire sad 2017 mid-Atlantic season. In spite of my feet hurting, I was in demo heaven. (Thanks to @SnowHot for planting the seed about Tahoe Pinkfest. More on that in my trip report to come.)

Back to boots...

Sunday morning I headed to Northstar, excited about its great groomer reputation and about doing some turns later that day with @SnowHot, demoing Tricia's Renouns, and meeting her husband Phil (aka Philpug on Pugski.com).

I went to do the top to bottom long green runs for a warm-up.

It was awful. My feet were still killing me, but even worse than the day before. I couldn't do it.

Fortunately, I knew where to go. :smile:That afternoon I had custom footbeds made by the master, Phil Pugliese. (If any of you are within a day's drive of Tahoe go see Snowhot/Tricia and Phil at True North.) Phil also tweaked my boots. He re-heated the shells, made them more upright, and put in heel lifts.

What a difference! No more getting off the hill after an hour or so to take a break and give my feet a rest from boots that I thought weren't that bad. No more whining and struggling every time I put my boots on.

Bottom line: If you want your skiing to progress, or if you plan to ski more than twice a year, you owe it to yourself to explore custom footbeds. If you are the SO or spouse of a strong skier, you have twice as many reasons to check them out. Bootfitters may not suggest them to you, especially if you are in low intermediate boots, so it doesn't hurt to ask. As with many things, costs vary depending on what region you're in, where you go, and what kind you get. My guess is that it will be the best $125 - $225 or so you ever spent -- even more important than the boots themselves IMO.

In the Northstar locker area later that week I heard a guy talking to his friend who was visiting from out of town. The visitor was saying that he liked his new boots better than rentals, but his feet still hurt after a day on the slopes. I said: "Custom footbeds. Best thing ever."

He asked, "How different do they feel from the ones you buy off the shelf at the shop?"
I said, "Hmmm... It's kind of like the difference between driving a riding lawn mower and a car."

In short, no comparison. Wish I had considered custom footbeds years ago.

Ane of the best things about custom footbeds is that they can go from boot to boot with you. I've outgrown my boots in terms of progression, and I want something stiffer for next season. My new custom footbeds will be right there with me in the new boots.

Huge thanks again to Tricia (who saw me struggling firsthand the day before) and to Phil. What a game-changer!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Ooooh - can you describe in a little more detail what the biggest differences were for you with the custom footbed?

thanks!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
also - looking forward to you trip report!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Albertan ski girl The biggest differences for me:

-no more pain just being in the boots when I'm standing after I've been skiing
-I am better able to steer my skis and control the turn by being able to pressure the toes in the boot

Sorry if I'm not describing it well, but it just feels different...and better!

Maybe @luliski can chime in since it sounds like she is enjoying hers too. :smile:

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
P.S. Apologies for not doing the usual disclaimer.

YMMV; feet and boots are a very individual thing.

That said, I'd never want to go back!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@Albertan ski girl The biggest differences for me:

-no more pain just being in the boots when I'm standing after I've been skiing
-I am better able to steer my skis and control the turn by being able to pressure the toes in the boot

Sorry if I'm not describing it well, but it just feels different...and better!

Maybe @luliski can chime in since it sounds like she is enjoying hers too. :smile:

Maybe I need to pay @SnowHot a visit when I'm in Tahoe next year to find out what these custom footbeds are about. I'm intrigued.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have hammer toes on both feet, so I was afraid of getting a performance-fit boot, although that's what I needed. The custom foot bed keeps my heel in place so that my forefoot is not moving around and causing pain. The foot beds increase the connection between the foot and ski. I feel like my skis are more responsive now.p

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I already had custom footbeds, but my new boot fitter made me new ones. One thing of note - he curled the outside of the footbed so that my feet wouldn't have a tendency to slide toward the outside. That was helpful for reducing pressure on my tailor's bunions.

In fact - I tore my ACL last season just before my scheduled bunion surgery. I don't know if it's because of the new boots or because of the fact that I've skied a lot less (probably both), but right now, it's shocking to think that I might have gotten surgery. My feet are a lot happier, and I think the bunions may even be shrinking.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
love love love the footbeds I had fitted in Kicking Horse 2 seasons ago. Realized my heel was lifitng in the (tele) boot and decided to try footbeds at a fitter in KH and it had an IMMEDIATE impact. Definitely a fan.

And @bounceswoosh, I have feet bunion-ish issues after my youth and young adulthood in competitive/professional athletics (not skiing), it would be great if the footbeds could help with this!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe I need to pay @SnowHot a visit when I'm in Tahoe next year to find out what these custom footbeds are about. I'm intrigued.

Most places that sell boots are set up to make custom footbeds, but sometimes you need to be assertive about wanting them. Other places, the first thing they do when you walk in is tell you that your sock is too thick and you need footbeds, in the same breath. :smile: I'm pretty certain that someone in Calgary can help you out!

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most places that sell boots are set up to make custom footbeds, but sometimes you need to be assertive about wanting them. Other places, the first thing they do when you walk in is tell you that your sock is too thick and you need footbeds, in the same breath. :smile: I'm pretty certain that someone in Calgary can help you out!
So true. I had an appointment at a well-known place in Truckee. No mention was made of custom foot beds or sock thickness (I was already wearing thin socks). They didn't have boots that would work for me.
I then stopped by a place in Olympic Valley, where I bought my daughter's boots last year. I had to assure the fitter that my socks were thin enough (he checked) and since he developed his own molding and custom foot bed system, of course footbeds were mentioned. When I went back to pick up my boots when they were ready, he again checked my sock thickness!I have to say I'm very happy with the results, although it did cost me. We never did get the footbeds for my daughter, and she's doing fine too. My feet just need support.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And @bounceswoosh, I have feet bunion-ish issues after my youth and young adulthood in competitive/professional athletics (not skiing), it would be great if the footbeds could help with this!

Yeah - I can't say they would work for every situation, but they helped with mine! I think. To be honest, I never tried these boots without the custom footbeds to compare - and I don't plan to!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I have bunions (ouch) and I had a nice pair of footbeds but they are now old and cracked. I now have hotfeet (? those pink things ?) and they are just not NEARLY as good as a custom footbed. No one around here makes custom footbeds any more but next time I am out West I hope to find someone to make me a good set. My question is, what brand is good??? Not up on the current stuff for sure. Want to make a good choice. For problem feet like mine I think a footbed is truly a key to happiness while skiing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those considering whether or not to invest in heat moldable footbeds aka custom footbeds, note that there is more than one type. My niece got a pair up in Lake Placid that were about $40. Mine were about $150 a few years ago. Quite different construction but since she only skis a few days a year, not too much point to spending too much. For her, the difference for the one foot was very obvious. She is a very good ballet dancer and has high arches that tend to collapse with the extra support. Her toes were hitting the top of the boot on one foot. Completely went away after adding the footbed.

A Diva thread on the subject from 2011:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/do-i-need-custom-or-heat-moldable-footbeds.11788

A couple reference pages:

https://www.evo.com/how-to-buy-ski-snowboard-boot-footbeds-insoles.aspx

https://treadlabs.com/pages/ski-boot-insoles-increase-skiing-performance

newboots

Angel Diva

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I set out to get new, properly fitted boots (and the initial reason I joined this forum) I think I read that you needed to get boots at a place that guaranteed the fit of the boot they sold you. I also remember being told that most places will only do this with custom footbeds. I got my boots locally early in the 2011-2012 season in Boise, Idaho. There were two stores and one said they would guarantee the fit if I bought footbeds the other wouldn't. The footbeds were around $180 I think and were heat molded to my feet. They are made of plastic on the bottom and have a cork like footbed. They are very sturdy and well made and shoudl last for years. I plan to use them for years and can move them from boot to boot. I love them and agree its the best money spent for a good boot fit. I hate the thought of getting new boots but will be happy I don't have to replace these. I agree @va_deb, even if you are new to skiing but plan to stick with it for a long time good custom footbeds are worth it. I'm glad you got them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna