• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Crazy spring crowds

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are all resorts extra nutty in the spring? I could not believe how many times I was run into while skiing on Saturday. It seemed way worse than usual. Yikes, it's just scary. For once it wasn't snowboarders, though - all my near misses and collisions were with skiers!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, this was Easter weekend which is a big weekend for vacationers here. I wasn't run into at all and fortunately NannyMin and I found the vacant slopes (really, vacant like not seeing anyone else on an entire run and not waiting in line).

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually screamed on Saturday in fear (not my usual style), when a BOARDER totally turned and moved perpendicular across a run-out type area, making a skiier do the same thing, both right in front of me. After I zoomed around them I yelled "F*-in boarders"

p.s. no offense to those who are not idiots

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A skier clipped me while passing me, right after the slow sign, and I yelled "Watch it!" at her. She yelled back, "I was, I was, I'm sorry!!!!I'm sorry!" and just kept going. If she was watching, how did she manage to run into me?

I also had a kid smack into me from behind while I was standing still, talking to a patroller. The patroller dressed him down, but the kid just smirked and said "you're right, I'm sorry", clearly NOT SORRY AT ALL. Punk. It kills me when people buy the "polite and respectful kid" act. Kids who are really polite and respectful don't do jerky things in the first place.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was the only down side of my ski day on Sunday- f'in obnoxious boarders on the lift. Twice we got stuck riding up with adult boarders and both times they tried to kill me both getting on and off the lift. The latter couldn't seem to negotiate his board *on* the lift either so he had it stuck over my tails pulling them down. Thought he was gonna pull my skis off

UGGG!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hear ya....In Maine, both Sunday River and Sugarloaf have these "festival" weekends (a/k/a, get plastered) - Parrothead/Bust n Burn at Sunday River 4/5-6 (we'll be at Sugarloaf) - and the outrageous ReggaeFest at Sugarloaf the following weekend (we'll hit Saddleback).

As if the weekend collision factor wasn't huge enough, throw lots of alcohol into the mix, and....recipe for disaster? Not my thing, at ALL...

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was the only down side of my ski day on Sunday- f'in obnoxious boarders on the lift. Twice we got stuck riding up with adult boarders and both times they tried to kill me both getting on and off the lift. The latter couldn't seem to negotiate his board *on* the lift either so he had it stuck over my tails pulling them down. Thought he was gonna pull my skis off

UGGG!

This is something that has always annoyed me. It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people are of other peoples gear.

It never fails that when I am in a lift line, whether it be 15 years ago, or now, that kids will ride up on the back of my skis not paying attention, or kids in front of me will be gooffing off and not paying attention to what their tails are doing--hitting my skis... grrr... it's always urked me.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is something that has always annoyed me. It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people are of other peoples gear.

It never fails that when I am in a lift line, whether it be 15 years ago, or now, that kids will ride up on the back of my skis not paying attention, or kids in front of me will be gooffing off and not paying attention to what their tails are doing--hitting my skis... grrr... it's always urked me.
Oh, boy, I am forever nagging the kiddos to stay of my skis and the skis of other people in line. Although I have adults stand on my skis in line just as much as kids. And I've been known to tell people that I pay good money for my skis and would appreciate them not standing on them. Although, only when I'm not coaching. I bite my tongue a lot when coaching.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Wow - I guess I'm in the minority here to say I LOVE the Spring craziness! I love the apres concerts, I love everyone feeling their oats a bit...I'm right there in the mix!

I don't really notice too many more collisions, or rudeness on the slopes - although we never really get SO crowed here. No lines ever. We certainly have bigger crowds during the Spring Break weeks...but the slopes are still pretty normal. In downtown Aspen (off the hill), the big problem is Gapers.

Gaper: usually clad in fur coat & boots, a cowboy hat, standing in the middle of the street, perhaps snapping a photo while blocking traffic, walking with strollers in the road, etc, etc. They also tend to snap fingers at bartenders in hopes to expedite their drink orders. On the hill, watch for flowing bleached hair out of a poofy headband, Chanel sunglasses and a fabulous Bogner one-piece.

The streets of Aspen are a dangerous place, I tell ya!!:eek:

Christy

Angel Diva
Geez, I'm feeling lucky here in the PNW after reading this. The crowds really thin out in March here-on easter in particular the slopes were empty (school breaks here aren't tied to easter). People start doing spring stuff in March--soccer, baseball, golf, etc. But the snow is still coming down and conditions have been great.

C

CMCM

I went skiing Friday before Easter (I have a midweek pass) and figured things wouldn't be too crazy yet.....WRONG! It's spring break for a lot of kids, and it was crazy that day. I had quite a few near misses....almost all of them kidlets out of control....the type that can snowplow a million miles an hour straight down a hill but who have no turning or stopping skills in place....just gooooooooo till you stop (or hit something!!). Oh yeah....one near-creaming from the back by an out of control boarder, same profile: going straight down fast, can't turn, can't stop. Yikes! :yell: And yes, I yelled at this teen....told him to get on an easier hill until he learned to control himself! He looked slightly sheepish.....he knew I was right.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting...I went last Friday as I didn't realize kiddies had it off. Gore was busy, but not horrible by any means. I figured Easter would be busier...nope! The place was pretty dead. I guess around here, the crowds really disappear in March/April...fine with me : ) I don't really mind it if it's a bit busy though, the singles line has advantages.

-veggielasagna

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, let's see -- the first week of March was Canada Week. I think all of Ontario had off, and a lot of people came to ski in Vermont. Then last and this week Private Schools have off, at least here in the northeast. Plus Easter was Sunday, so a lot of schools were closed Friday and maybe even Monday. This week some schools in NJ and who knows where else are having spring break. Add in some colleges, and is it any wonder it's busy???

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ Aha. Explains the groups of kids I saw yesterday. Most were well-behaved and in group lessons. But they skied in "packs" - tight and close together, like swarms. Also quite a few NJ license plates up in Maine as well. Thankfully, the harder runs (a relative term) were all blissfully quiet where I skied. Overall, I'd term it a very "civilized" kind of busy.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow - I guess I'm in the minority here to say I LOVE the Spring craziness! I love the apres concerts, I love everyone feeling their oats a bit...I'm right there in the mix!

I don't really notice too many more collisions, or rudeness on the slopes - although we never really get SO crowed here. No lines ever. We certainly have bigger crowds during the Spring Break weeks...but the slopes are still pretty normal. In downtown Aspen (off the hill), the big problem is Gapers.

Gaper: usually clad in fur coat & boots, a cowboy hat, standing in the middle of the street, perhaps snapping a photo while blocking traffic, walking with strollers in the road, etc, etc. They also tend to snap fingers at bartenders in hopes to expedite their drink orders. On the hill, watch for flowing bleached hair out of a poofy headband, Chanel sunglasses and a fabulous Bogner one-piece.

The streets of Aspen are a dangerous place, I tell ya!!:eek:

I love spring for all these reasons too. We don't get alot of touri crowds, but us locals like to break out the one piece bogners, and other gaper clothing as well. I finally after years of searching found one of the retro Obi windshirts, can't wait to "feel my oats" in that thing. WooHoo!

Rossi

Certified Ski Diva
I'm with skigrl27 "I LOVE the Spring craziness!" this weekend is Mt Snows Reggaefest and I look forward to it. Skiing,music, sun and shine,cannot get better then that!

The crowds are good for business ,last year VT had such a bad snow year (no one skiing) that it effected every business around the ski area so crowds can be a good thing.

I don't want to see another ski area go out of business and the crowded days are few in number compared to the not so crowded days.
So when you see those crowds be happy their supporting the MT you love and ski with caution because it can get dangerous.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The problem with some of these "fests" is that, at least where I live, they attract a huge number of non-skiers who just come up to party and get drunk. It has gotten so bad up at Sugarloaf that the state police have started road blocks/sobriety checks at several points along the way. (First offense in Maine is jail time. Period.) The fun aspect completely depends on the type of crowd that it draws.

Like others who don't really "go" for the fancy base lodges (see Snowbasin thread), I don't go skiing for music and alcohol. Must be my age. I'm a "diva on a mission." It's all about vertical. It's fine that resorts have these festivities, and they're fun for some. Just not my style.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like the crazy crowds (even tho a good point is made about them bringing $ to the mountains). You have to steer clear of the crowded runs.

I DO like the spring parties, music, dancing, but it is ALWAYS SKI FIRST then party after.

Randi

Certified Ski Diva
The problem with some of these "fests" is that, at least where I live, they attract a huge number of non-skiers who just come up to party and get drunk. It has gotten so bad up at Sugarloaf that the state police have started road blocks/sobriety checks at several points along the way. (First offense in Maine is jail time. Period.) The fun aspect completely depends on the type of crowd that it draws.

Like others who don't really "go" for the fancy base lodges (see Snowbasin thread), I don't go skiing for music and alcohol. Must be my age. I'm a "diva on a mission." It's all about vertical. It's fine that resorts have these festivities, and they're fun for some. Just not my style.

Maineski you should've hit Sugarbush this weekend. Crowds were non-existent and thanks to the wind storm we had keeping the upper mountain closed during the week we ended up getting first tracks off Heaven's Gate. :yahoo:

Don't really have that problem in southern NE, much to my dismay. LH is shutting down during the week now because no one's going despite the fact that there's tons of snow left :mad:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga